An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Personal Issue With Adderall

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by AFKATafcar, Jan 18, 2015.

1. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Besides the fact that Adderall is highly addictive and far more dangerous than most people realize, I have another issue with this prescription drug. I believe it can positively affect certain individuals, but I'm not a fan that it's used and can somewhat be used to improve a person's performance in various ways.

For instance, many baseball players (a higher percentage of them than the general population) had Adderall prescriptions/exemptions. That's an obvious PED since it gives them better focus during games. The same thing can happen with the average person trying to complete a test or paper or whatever.

For those individuals that are just using Adderall as an extra advantage rather than out of a complete need, I don't think the drug should exist.
  2. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

Wow I can't imagine letting athletes use adderall before all that exercise can be good. It can cause your heart rate to speed up. I doubt that's a good thing when their bodies are already being pushed to the athletic max.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. How widespread is it? Do you have any links about athletes abusing adderall?
  3. unrealjoe

unrealjoe Member

Wouldn't using adderall in athletes greatly improve performance? I'm not endorsing it and in no way supportive of it but i feel as if it would have steroidal like properties, boosting performance in physical activity.
  4. I believe it would have performance boosting attributes, and I've heard of a lot of college aged kids taking it to help study, etc. It's definitely being abused, although mostly from what I've heard by the college aged and adolescents. Sadly though, if it's not adderall I'm sure it would be something else, and I really don't know how to make a solution for it seeing as it is a prescription medication. The only thing I could say to do is to support more adequate and accurate education for things like this. I know there is the D.A.R.E. program in schools but that is mostly exaggerated or sometimes even false information. Once teens realize that then it seems to lose its deterrent power and can seemingly have some negative effects.
  5. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I 100% agree with you. If you do not have concentration issues you should not be given the medication! I think there needs to be a better method on determining whether or not someone actually needs that medication! Currently I know that there is just a check list of symptoms that anyone can make up, in order to obtain the medication!