An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Road to Recovery

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by CryingCanary, Apr 9, 2016.

1. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

Hello everyone! My name is Asaria, I'm an (recovering) alcoholic and it is very nice to meet all of you. :)

After skimming through this forum and seeing so many supportive, caring and wonderful people here, I decided to sign up and share my alcoholism story with you all. In hopes I find advice, tips and such on helping myself get through this.

It all started with the death of my father, an alcoholic as well. He would have his drinks, raise his voice at me and my brother and spend the next day in bed with a migraine. Although he wasn't the best father, he was still there for me and his death did a great deal of damage on me. I felt genuinely hopeless for the longest time before I had my first bottle of whisky. It made me feel strong, warm and even confident. Which led to me having unreasonable behavior with all my family and friends. They didn't know what was going on with me and I refused to open with them about it because I'm a very closed-off person but my mother and my closest friend found out eventually after almost drinking myself to death.

I wasn't bothered by it because truth be told at that point, drinking was the only thing that would lift my spirits up. My mother on the other hand was determined to get me help and I'm very grateful she decided to help me. That was a few months ago and since I've only had about 4 relapses since and I'm moving forward with my life but I still need support because it gets too hard for me. Some days I just can't stay away from the drinks and I end up feeling emotionally and psychically drained the whole week after drinking because I feel as if I've let myself down but I'm working on it.

I'm working on my recovery and I'm happy that I shared my story with all of you (it was quite overwhelming to write).

I look forward to meeting new people here, getting and giving out and much more.
    Mara likes this.
  2. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Keep up heading in the right direction, you sound like you're doing great :)

How would you dream life look like in 5 years time when this is behind you? Because it will be behind you. You're strong and able :)
    CryingCanary likes this.
  3. CryingCanary

Thank you very much for your kind words. Hopefully after 5 years I'll be all sober, helping people that went through the same situation I did. I'd like to start my own support group if I overcome this. So many are helping me go through this and I know that if I didn't have anyone, this road would be much harder to achieve. Once again, thank you. I needed those words of encouragement. Have a great day!
  4. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well it seems that you are in a good place and you have your priorities in tact, and that is really one of the most important things to have so good for you. Stay strong and stay healthy and know that there are better days ahead. It is all about knowing what you are doing it for and having that as your motivation...so best of luck to you and everything that you are dealing with.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  5. CryingCanary

Thank you! I'm in a very good place in my life right now and I'm proud of myself. All these kind words are making me want to get better and continue. So thank you again, have a good day!
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

YOu sound like you are doing well, and coming to terms with what has gone on before. Keep on keepin ou, and I think you will continue to do well. It is just one of the ways you can continue to stay strong and healthy. It is not an easy road, but you are doing great!
    CryingCanary likes this.
  7. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome CryingCanary and thank you for sharing with us. I do send my condolences to you for your loss.

It is wonderful to know that you have the support of family surrounding you and that you have set a special goal in helping others through their journeys as well.

As others will tell you the road to recovery won't be an easy one but it does get better when taking it one day at a time. We are here to help you along the way with all of your trials and share all of your celebrations too.
    CryingCanary and bhu like this.
  8. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Many people think, "I'm no longer an alcoholic," but that simply isn't true. Alcoholism (or any time of addict/addiction) is a lifelong illness. Due to this, even if you have gotten better, you will always be an addict. It just depends on whether or not you have an active addiction or you are in recovery/remission for the disease.

I'm glad to hear you're in recovery! Stay strong!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    CryingCanary likes this.
  9. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hello and welcome, @CryingCanary. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm glad you're here. I lost my dad a few years ago and it has not been the easiest part of my path at all. Lots of mixed feelings and confusion there. Most everybody saw the good side of him, his public persona. Seems like I'm the only one who ever knew the flip side, like no one would believe me if I told them. @OHelloMe is right that addiction to any substance, however acquired and enjoyed, is a lifelong disease. There's no cap and gown, no graduation ring, no diploma. What there is, though, is more energy to live and sometimes even enjoy your life. And friendships that last a lifetime and truly understand what you're going through. So hit us up whenever you need, whatever's up. We're here for you.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think as hard as sharing stories about addiction can be, it's also liberating - almost like explaining it out loud or in written form frees us from it, a little :)

We're glad to have you here - I have no doubt your story and experience will help others in their journeys too.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@CryingCanary... Thanks for sharing your story with us and welcome to the community. I'm glad to hear that you're moving in the right direction. Keep doing the next right thing, and know that we're here to help and support you however we can. We're glad you're here. :)
    CryingCanary and MrsJones like this.
  12. CryingCanary

Thank you all for the kind words! Now I know that when I feel like I'm not progressing - all I need to do is look at this thread. It gives me the feeling of determination to become a better and healthier and it simply makes me happy. Your support means a ton to me. :D
    deanokat and MrsJones like this.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Congrats on all of the progress that you have made so far CryingCanary! You can be healthier and happier on this road to recovery. Just stay positive and remember all of the good things that you are doing for your mind, body and for your family and friends.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Asaria. :)
    Nice to know that you have family such as your mother who is determined to help as you do not need to fight it alone. Keep up the motivation and hoping for the full recovery.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  15. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Hello and welcome Asria. You have landed to right place. I am very happy to hear that you are working on your recovery. Feel free to ask for any help on this forum. We are here to help you and we will help you achieve you to achieve your goal. :)
    CryingCanary likes this.
  16. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I am so glad to see that you are recovering and that you are open about it, nothing like facing a problem to solve it. I hope you enjoy your stay in our community!
    CryingCanary likes this.
  17. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hello @CryingCanary and welcome to the community. I'm glad that you're here. Thank you for trusting us and sharing your story with us. Rest assured that all of us here will try our best to support you in every way we can. Good luck on your recovery and I hope you get through it.

Sending you positive and sober vibes. :D
    CryingCanary likes this.
  18. CryingCanary

So far, everyone's been very welcoming and I thank you all so much. I hope you all have a good day!
    MrsJones, deanokat and Mara like this.
  19. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Right back at ya, @CryingCanary! :)
    CryingCanary likes this.
  20. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

You seem pleased with yourself and on a good path and that is wonderful to hear. People fail to realize how great an impact these stories have on other people in similar situations. Especially if genuine like this one. I really hope you will keep on doing what you are doing and that we will hear about some other milestone in your recovery soon enough. Best wishes to you and follow your priorities.
    CryingCanary likes this.