New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My short rehab and how I ended up working there.

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by Jenga, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Hey everyone! I'd like to share a quick story about my time in rehab. Soon after I realised I had a problem, I decided that I'd try rehab. In my experience, the warming welcome, along with the strict rules and constant support helped me get over some of the worse symptoms of withdrawal (I reckon). I made a lot of friends in there. I got friendly with the staff and everyone was absolutely lovely. Soon afterwards, I realized that I didn't need their help as much, but I wanted to keep attending and making sure all my new family were staying strong, so, I applied for a job there. I didn't think much of it until about a week later, I got an email asking for an interview with the main organiser there! I went and as it turned out, I was able to get a volunteering job there! (not paid though :< )
    It was great, I was able to keep supporting everyone I knew and I grew to loving the feeling of reward at the end of each day.

If you're ever in the position to help other people out, please try it! It's so much more rewarding than you might think!
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I'm glad to hearing of you nice experience at rehab!

As you are pointing at, sometimes people elaborate too much in what to expect undergoing it, but testimonials like yours confirm that those rehab centers and detox clinics are the best choice that someone can make to get clean and recover sobriety.

Congrats :)
  3. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Often, all somebody really needs is a bit of support, even if its just a shoulder to cry on now and then. It made a stark difference in my opinion, not sure where I'd be without it.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

What a wonderful story. So glad you had such a positive experience during you rehab stay. I think it is fantastic that you are giving back by volunteering there and helping others get through what you did.
  5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

THAT is AWESOME!
    Thank you for giving back and being there to support others in their journey.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That is wonderful and being in the envioronment and the constant exposure to it will probably help you stay strong in your own recovery. this is one of the things that you need and can use in your life. Also, you will be able to impart your wisdom and the things you have learned from rehab to the new people. Kudos to you and your new volunteer job!
    Jenga likes this.
  7. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Thank you! I definitely found it easier to keep on track with my recover while working there. It gave me a sense of, well, not wanting to let everyone down? I felt like I had a large part to play with helping others recover, which meant I needed to stay even stronger. Now, whether or not I relapsed probably wouldn't of affected others much, but regardless, that method of thinking kept me strong :)