An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My son addiction. ...

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Vilmar2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Just being supportive is all you can really do. If you have tried everything and you have taken all measures to stop him from gaining access to the drug again and he has partaken in some form of rehabilitation all you can do is be there for him. Help him and encourage him, let him see that there is an amazing world out there that does not require drugs to be enjoyed. Keep him away from the people, places and influences that caused him to take the drugs in the first place.
  2. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

@vilmara Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your son getting the help he needs and nearing the end of his program. As doatk22 said, a positive environment is key. Mrs. Jones is also correct in that you need to prepare yourself before he gets home. Preparing yourself can include counseling, locating and attending an Al Anon or Nar Anon or similar family support group. They will welcome you, listen, even let you cry. They will also know exactly what you're going through and share their experience, strength and hope. Good luck, Mom! Please let us know how you and your son are getting on.
  3. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

It is a really good news that your son is ging to be released after some time. When he comes back, you should show your support to him and always care him. Always be engaged with your son and never allow him to feel lonely. I am sure that the withdrawal period will be soon over. :):)
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Vilmar2 Hello and thank you for sharing your story in this forum! A mother always wants the best for their children and she will not let them to experience the pains and struggles of life. Like what had happened to your son I know that it is hard for you to see him in that kind of situation and to accept what had happened to his wife and children and his family as a whole. Being his mother you are the first person who should not judge him. That is why when he come home to stay with you show your care and love and let him realize that he can still move on and change his life for the better for his family. Keep that faith in your heart and good luck!
  5. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

My first thought would be to seek help for your son. Just make sure that you don't force it onto him, just take it slowly and mention rehab eventually.