An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My son, my inspiration.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by BayouBilly, Oct 4, 2015.

1. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

The day my son was born, was when I quit smoking. It was the best thing I could've done in my life.

Now, I've been smoking for over 14 years - but I made that promise that as soon as he comes into this world, I would be smoke free. I wanted my son to not be cheated from his father, and be able to enjoy as much love and support that I could possibly provide.

If there is anyone looking for inspiration, think about your loved ones. It makes the struggle that much easier - and in some cases, almost non-existent.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Nice post! It is said that the greatest love for a person is the love of a parent to a child, and you seem to fit the bill. Some parents don't think the same way that you do and they still smoke even when they already have many kids. How unfortunate, isn't it?
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I wholeheartedly agree with you. If only others in the same boat think and feel as you do. Although not everyone possesses such an amount of love and affection, I do hope the people in their surroundings would be able to remind them of their parental responsibilities. I wish you the best and may others take a leaf out of your book!
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely great to hear @BayouBilly! Congratulations on being able to quit smoking for good. And I totally agree with what you have said. Whenever I am feeling down and in the verge of doing something that's bad for me, I would just always think of my family and friends, then I would instantly be motivated.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Very nice post and congratulations! You are an awesome Dad who put his child first when it came to smoking. I commend you on that!! Great job!
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@BayouBilly... Thanks for that great post. I quit smoking shortly after my first son was born. I also quit drinking to set an example for both of my boys. If you have children, you owe it to them to live a healthy life. They deserve to have you around for as long as possible, and without the baggage that addiction brings along with it. If you someone doesn't want to quit for themselves, they should definitely do it for their kids.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm a relatively new parent myself but have been sober now from alcohol and cigarettes for about 7 years now. I totally understand that feeling about wanting to be the very best you can be for your child or children. It certainly gives that motivation and drive to set the example.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's so true and sweet. I'm glad you thought that way. Sadly, many people don't. I hope you stay on the best path possible for you and your son.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

My loved one (it was only one person) also inspired me to quit smoking, drinking, cutting and get rid of my depression. After dark years in which I wanted to kill myself, I could live a normal life again, and be free. Now I enjoy every moment and every little things that contributes to my overall happiness and mood. It feels so good to be alive again.

Congratulations for your quitting and motivation! Best wishes to you and your family!
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Oh wow! This is such an inspiring post. How I wish my husband has the same confidence as you do. He had said before that he can quit smoking when he wants to. The question is, when will he want to? He has never quit even when our son was born. I thought that him being born will be a turn around for my husband, but apparently not. You are a great father for setting an example to your son. I'm sure he will greatly benefit from your quitting and you will benefit as well too.

Please share your story to more people! I know many fathers and mothers can sure be inspired by your story of quitting smoking. Who knows if one cigarette smoker or alcoholic will change their mind about their addiction just by reading your story? Congrats on your baby and good luck on your future endeavours!
    deanokat likes this.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Family is a powerful motivator.
    So is having responsibilities.
    When you put them together to work together to be really good inspiration.
    Way to go OP, your son will get to enjoy your love for a lot longer since you quit the cancer sticks!
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah this is a really good idea. The thing is though some people their loved ones drive them to do drugs. Environment and living conditions. Pressure to stay a float, whatever.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Great for you BayouBilly. Great for you and your son. I am always happy to read this kind of good news. I've seen it here before where a child brought a parent to the realisation that they needed to quit. I think it's an honorable thing to do and hope more can make the same wise choices.
  14. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

That is so great! Thank you for sharing your story about your son. I hope that you always remember you son whenever you get the urge to use. I always think of my loved ones too and it helps me stay sober!
    Winterybella likes this.
  15. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Awesome story. Thanks a lot for sharing. I think that same son who became your inspiration will, in near future, find you as his inspiration if you stick to your resolution. Good luck to you!
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is a good decision for you and your loved ones. :)
    Right that your loved ones should be your inspiration or motivation to change for the better. They deserve a better you to love and care for them.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people need a reason to quit something. Before they have that it's all to easy to make excuses and if your just doing something for yourself you sometimes lack the motivation to follow it through.