An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My son

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by deanokat, May 21, 2019.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

My son overdosed on heroin last night. Luckily, my wife found him in his room, we called 911, and two shots of Narcan brought him back. It was hard seeing his lifeless body, half on his bed, half on the floor, while we were waiting for the ambulance. He hadn't used heroin for several years. I thought that nightmare might be over, but I guess I was wrong. This was the first time he's ever overdosed. Still trying to process it all. Please pray for him if you feel so inclined. Thanks so much.

-Dean
  2. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

Dean, I just saw your post. My dad and sister and me, we all are praying.
    "Where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am also".
    We will continue to pray.
    Why did you even take the time to respond to any post today?
    The only answer I can come up with is simply God has given you a powerful servants heart. And you cannot help but to help.
    I love you Dean.
    When I read this i started crying my dad took the phone, and he read it and he cried. I'm not sure if it was because it hit so close to home with him or why...but the point is we are all moved by your pain. I have talked about you and your posts and insight a lot. As I'm sure many have.
    I pray in Jesus name that peace be with your son and you and your wife. And your whole family that is hurt by this evil drug.

On a side note your son is about two years or mabey three years younger than me. Well my last overdose was three years ago. When I was in between methadone and suboxone I used and I I used like I still had a tolerance. Now I'm remembering why my sister was so adamant about me going back on the meds for now. Your son can still be ok. Please don't loose hope. With God all things are possible.
    My mom told me that when I told my kidneys were failing.
    Please remember that.
    Dominica likes this.
  3. deanokat

Thanks so much, Josh. Last night was so hard. My nephew died of a heroin overdose about 15 months ago, and that hit pretty close to home. But not as close as this. I appreciate the prayers. Thank your dad and your sister for me, okay?
    Dominica likes this.
  4. Joshstillclean

Ill tell them.
    I sorry about your nephew. I know that is horrible. And Im,sure made this even more painful.
    I'm sure I don't need to remind you but im,going to anyway. Just in case you forgot because of all the stress you need to restock on narcan
    I'm not sure how much they give you in a shot in Michigan but it has taken three shots to bring me back before. Usually only one. But when I really overdosed it took three.
    Need to keep some on hand and make sure everyone knows how to use it.
    I felt a need to say that.
    Dominica likes this.
  5. deanokat

Word. Thanks, brother.
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

I am so incredibly saddened to hear this and i will absouletly be praying for him and your entire family.

"father i pray you watch over my friend dean and his son and the entire family as they try to make sense of this current situation,i pray you comfort them,guide them,encourage them,and enlighten them as they recover from this terrible almost deadly incident.I pray you watch over them and ease their pain and saddness so that they may heal from this incident as fastly as possible,father hold them,shield them,protect them in Jesus name i Pray Amen"
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  7. Joshstillclean

Amen
    deanokat likes this.
  8. deanokat

Thank you, Arthur. I appreciate you so much.
    True concern likes this.
  9. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

OMG - I'm so glad you found him on time. To have that happen after all you've done here. That's a hard thing for me to understand. Sometimes I just want to scream at God. But I don't - instead, I pray. And I'll pray for your son, and I'll pray for you and the rest of your family to be able to get through this.
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator

stay strong my friend and the feeling is mutual.Take Care Of Yourself And Your Family,I Know I Dont Have To Tell You This But Maybe Take A Day Or Two For Just You,You More Than Deserve It
  11. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@deanokat I'm so sorry this has happened to your son. It is true what they say if you relapse and use your tolerance is not the same and that puts you in the most danger of an overdose. I will be praying hard for your son and your family. Especially your poor Wife who found him. Thank goodness she did in time. Thank you for all you do while suffering yourself. We all care about you. If you need to take some time away we will all understand. Hugs to you my friend.
  12. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@deanokat i agree with all the prayers and appreciate everyone taking the time to pray. i'm sure it has been quite challenging... and we will uphold you and your family in prayer.

take care of you.... breathe... and know that we are here for you to lean on.
  13. Joshstillclean

How is he? And how are you all holding up?
    cheffy and deanokat like this.
  14. True concern

True concern Moderator

Only if you are on anyways but if you are i would love an update on your son,yourself,and your entire family.You are all in my heart and in all my prayers
    cheffy likes this.
  15. deanokat

Thanks for all your kind words and prayers, everyone. My son is doing alright today. He slept all day and night yesterday. I imagine his body was worn out from the whole experience. As of this morning, he's looking into going to rehab. I hope his desire to go to treatment lasts. I think he really needs it.

The whole experience was just so surreal. The cops got to our house within a couple of minutes of my 911 call, and they're the ones who administered the Narcan. The EMTs showed up a few minutes later because they got delayed by traffic. They told my wife and I that it was a good thing the police got to our house as quickly as they did and gave our son the Narcan. Because if we would've had to wait for the EMTs to do it, it might've been too late.

Addiction is such an insidious disease. If anyone reading this feels like using, please think twice about doing it. It's not worth it.

Love all you humans from the bottom of my heart. Thanks again.
    Dominica, Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  16. True concern

True concern Moderator

I hope this doesnt come across as selfish because its not meant to be,but here for the past hour or so i have been struggling emotionally not sure about what,or why....perhaps its because of someone messing with my acct,perhaps not im not really sure but i have been debating on having a few drinks to eliminate the shakes,anxiety,emotional whatever is going on but i will use this statement as motivation for today to not have those few drinks.

Addiction is such an insidious disease. If anyone reading this feels like using, please think twice about doing it. It's not worth it.
    cheffy, Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  17. deanokat

Not selfish, @True concern. And I’m glad my words resonated with you. Maybe go for a walk around the block to try and alleviate the stress/anxiety you’re feeling. That “relief” alcohol is promising? It’s a lie. Don’t let it suck you in, my brother.
    cheffy and Joshstillclean like this.
  18. Joshstillclean

I think that was the whole point in dean making that statement.
    Glad you won't drink.
    And I'm glad your son is considering rehab. I will pray the conviction to go stays with him.
  19. Joshstillclean

Can you double like something?
    cheffy and deanokat like this.
  20. True concern

True concern Moderator

Thats the thing i KNOW its all a lie with every substance yet at times i give in but i really want to know myself and i really want to be able to tell everyone here i have made it however i wont say it until its the truth
    Joshstillclean, cheffy and deanokat like this.