An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My story - how have others drug use affected you?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by amyyoh, Feb 18, 2015.

1. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

When I was young, around 12, my older brother became heavily involved in drugs. My mother noticed something bizarre in his closet and found a stash of illegal substances. My dad received angry notes against my brother on his vehicle and our neighbours found my brother trying to steal their stuff. I was so afraid for him and what he was getting into. He would start fires in our home and sell drugs outside our house. I was terrified for my family and for him. I love him so much and don't want him to be involved in things that put him in harms way. He was harming himself. A few years later I found him stumbling on the side of the road and picked him up. He was incoherently high off god knows what and I just pray he cleans up his act. He was in rehab for a while but even after it seems he is involved in drugs.
  2. jon

jon Active Contributor

I was living in a city where the average person that you met did illegal drugs on a regular basis. Everything from ice, crystal, morphine, herion, and more.
  3. raidermari

raidermari Member

@amyyoh Thank you for sharing your story. I have never gone through addiction myself. I have still been heavily affected by it through my friends who were involved in all sorts of abuse so I can relate to you. I've also worked with patients of drug abuse during my psych rotations. I can completely understand what you and your family went through. Trying to fix someone you love anyway that you can, going through all these emotions of anger, fear and guilt can be very traumatic. Feeling helpless for your loved one while watching them destroy your life is one of the hardest things one can go through besides actually going through the addiction journey.

I hope things get better for your brother and for the rest of your family. Keep posting updates on your brother and letting us know how you feel. Things can get very hard, I know. Just know that you always have people who care about you.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I know you care for your brother and want him to stay off drugs but unfortunately some things are beyond our control. From what I gather, it appears that your brother is a hardcore addict and for him to become clean will require an extraordinary amount of effort. I just hope he finds the will power to get back on the right track.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@amyyoh... Thank you for sharing your story. Being the sibling of an addict is so difficult. Not only do you have to watch someone you love do unimaginable things, but you also have to endure the tremendous struggles the entire family goes through. Addiction is a family disease. My oldest boy is in recovery now, but while he was in the throes of addiction everybody in the family suffered--including his little brother. Personally, I think that siblings of addicts suffer the most. So I totally get what you're feeling.

@imperivm1 is right. Some things are beyond our control. Like they say in Al-Anon, we didn't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it. What's important is for you to take good care of yourself. Coming here and looking for support is a great first step toward doing that.

I'm saying a prayer for you, your brother, and your entire family.
  6. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

Keep hope, my friend. Hope will get us through all things. I know it may seem like he is falling off the edge every now and then, but just ensure him that you are there for him. That's all you can really do. That being said, be sure you are going out and living your own life as well. Do not worry about him 24/7 to where you cannot have any fun. Just be there for him.

You are in my prayers.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

How are you doing, @amyyoh? Let us know when you have a chance. Know that I am thinking about you and keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks for sharing! I can only imagine the horror you and your family went trough, as if seeing your brother destroying himself wasn't enough, you had to deal with all those things. I feel so sorry for you and your family, you must have had such a difficult time growing up! I'm glad you found us :) You will see there is always a way out of addictions, let's hope your brother sees that soon too.

If you can, please let us know how it goes with you and your brother. Dealing with an addict is hard, specially if it's someone so close to you! So please don't lose hope and be patient.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi there amyyoh! :) I can only imagine the things you're going through and even just reading them through your post shows how tough your situation is. The others are right in saying that the family members of an addict are the ones who suffer the most because you see your loved one struggle and you really want to help in any way you can but you just don't know how. And the trauma it brings you also leaves a mark in your own emotions. It could be really hard and all you could do is feel afraid and helpless. In these trying times know that you shouldn't feel alone facing your brother's addiction. There are people who are willing to help your brother and your family get through your problems. It seems like your brother's situation needs to be addressed with the help of support groups and proffessionals who can guide him and your family through the whole process of reformation. Don't be afraid to seek help and thank you for starting the process with us. I also hope to hear updates from you soon. May God be with you and your family.
  10. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Hi there, @amyyoh ! Warm welcome. A drug addict steals, he lies, he's selfish, and he doesn't care about the people who love him. A drug addict only cares to get cracks-- hie mind and body gave way to the harmful substance. He has sold his soul to the cracks.

Rehabilitation and healing must be a decision he has to make by himself. Would he talk to a pastor, or a rehab community counselor in your home. And then, he will, hopefully, want to give in to his mother and father's plea for him to get help.

I look forward to hearing more from you, @amyyoh
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Your brother tried to set your house on fire? I'm thankful that no major damage has been caused by that. He seems really unstable and dangerous. If he went to rehab already and he still acts like that, then let's just pray for him. I think unless he is keen to ditch drugs, then nothing can make him stop taking drugs, since rehab didn't do anything for him.