An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My story with drugs

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by fliktor7, Jan 11, 2015.

1. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

When I was more young (around 17-18, teenager age) I was into a lot of drugs, but most of the time I smoke marijuana and sniff cocaine.
    One day, one friend of mine has found dead, because something around taking some opium. Some bastard has sold him that and that shocked me, and a lot of friends of mine, since then I stayed clean (except for marijuana in some ocassions).
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Unfortunate that your friend had to die because of drugs. Choosing to stop taking drugs after his death was a good choice you made because much as not everyone will meet their demise using a drug, the long-term effects ["cause irreversible harm"] which can eventually cause an addict health problems that will either ultimately affect one's life negatively or cause death either directly or indirectly.

Kudos for quitting and I hope you won't look back, ever again.
  3. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Thanks for your words Rainman, yes I have seen some people which had continue using drugs from years (most of them cocaine) and they haven't ended well, with health issues and someones even with problems with the justice because of this xS
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am glad you are alive and able to tell your story. It's clear no one has to warn you of the dangers of drugs. Sadly you have seen it first hand. I am sure you are going to find lots of encouragement in this forum. Rainman provided you with some great advice when he invited you to keep looking forward. I would still caution you to keep a close watch on the marijuana. It has lead some down a slippery slope. Still I commend you going forward.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Wow. What a bitter-sweet story! At least it worked out for you. I have heard this story from my friend too.
    Good that you found out about the truth about the drugs before it was too late!
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Such are the tribulations of drug users.Most have paid the ultimate price and it's a pity that that doesn't deter other drug users from quitting altogether. I would urge you and your friends to reconsider using marijuana as it could reignite the temptation to use other hard drugs.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss fliktor7, it is such a shock when drugs kill a friend. Don't beat yourself up about smoking marijuana right now - you have done really well to keep away from the harder stuff and a cheeky hit on the bong won't kill you. As long as it's not a regular thing, you'll be just fine. If you ever feel tempted by stronger stuff, remember your friend. Also know that there is always someone on this forum to talk to - people here seem to be really friendly and supportive. Thank you for sharing your story.
  8. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

sometimes in life it takes some radical situations like the one you have experienced before one can give up drugs. I am sorry about what happened to your friend though.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Many people do not decide to sober up and stay away from dangerous substances until something terrible happens to a person close to them or even themselves. I am glad you are ok. If you need any support or help, everyone at this forum is here for you.
  10. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

Thanks for your comments guys and for the support, that happens a lot of time ago but yes it was a shock for me and many others of our mutual friends xS most of them keep sober and are fine nowadays, and with others I lost contact (when that happens it was like ten years ago).
  11. bobbilady52

bobbilady52 Member

I am 52 and I did my share of drinking and I started at a young age 14. I feel that my drinking became a night mare. I would have black outs and woke up in places that I never knew. To me support helped get me out of the darkness of my addiction. I stopped at 50 and I have to say reading on forums like this was the way for me. I am shy and not the type to be around a large group of AA people. So I want to say thanks to you all for saving me!! God bless this forum!!
    fliktor7 and Winterybella like this.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is the unfortunate consequence of keeping certain substances banned, it's that it gives too much of the control to irresponsible sellers instead of just having it be more readily and safely available somewhere out in the open where it can be regulated. Sorry to hear about your friend but I really hope people start seeing where the best place to change things would be instead of just constantly trying to sweep it under the rug.
    fliktor7 likes this.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hey Fliktor! I'm sorry about what happened to your friend. It's a good thing you stopped taking drugs excessively before things took a turn for the worse. Well Marijuana isn't synthetic so compared to those other drugs you took, you'll be considerably fine. Just don't overdo it. Hopefully, you'll be able to lead a life you can be proud of in the long run.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    fliktor7 likes this.