An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Story.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by mrskim87, Apr 14, 2015.

1. mrskim87

mrskim87 Member

Hi, my name is Kim. I'm a 27 year old from Texas. My choice of drug didn't seem like I was making such a bad choice....I started out smoking marijuana, and later, for purposes of finding a job, started with synthetic marijuana, instead of quitting altogether. That's when the terrible journey began....If I wasn't in bed, I was on my way to the smoke shop...Soon, I wasn't able to eat or sleep. I dropped 20 plus pounds in a week....I was sick. I cried every night because I couldn't sleep. I wanted to quit, but I couldn't because it's the only way I slept , if I did anyway. I had gotten to a point where I was hanging on my last limb-----I hadn't eaten in about 2 weeks, my Mom said I looked gray---a friend of mine told me I should force myself to eat, that I could have a seizure that way. So I tried, and at the point the food hit my mouth, I immediately got sick. I was done. My family rushed me to the hospital. My bp had skyrocketed, I was actually on way to a seizure--no water, no food, no sleep. I was seeing things that weren't there. It was terrible. Fortunately, I was helped just in time. I quit that day of course, and now I sleep like a baby. It s difficult sometimes, I forget the bad things I went through and the feeling to want to get high overtakes me. I just think about the harm I done to myself and my family, and what future I want for myself, as well as how easily it can be taken away just for the love of a habit, I get my thought back on track . Thanks so much reading! I look forward to talking with you guys!
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing this story about how the use of a drug thought to be as benign as marijuana can lead to some pretty severe complications later down the road. The synthetic and or designer type drugs are just as dangerous or ever more so than the drugs there designed to mimic. None of them have any actual length of study on short or long term effects, which can lead the consumer to situations such as yours or even worse. So happy that you made it through, and your "back on track".
    dyanmarie25, mrskim87 and Joseph like this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, Kim! :)

I'm sorry to hear about all those struggles/sufferings you've been through before. Anyway, I'm happy that you are now trying to get back on track. I hope this would be sustainable and permanent. Just always stay strong, way to go! ;)
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Hi, Kim. I guess this story debunks the theory that smoking marijuana is harmless and shouldn't be frowned upon. No wonder why some states's heads are so adamant in their beliefs that using the drug should remain illegal at all costs. Not that it is stopping anyone from smoking furtively, but at least it sends a message out there that doing so is wrong. I just hope you grasped the moral behind your experience.
  5. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

We hear so often marijuana is the gateway to leading to other controlled substances, like cocaine, meth, or heroin. Yet, in your case, it led to abusing a synthetic type of marijuana. Hopefully more awareness and research becomes available to warn of the dangerous chemicals found in spice. I did not even know, it was still sold. It is good you are on this forum, so others can learn from your knowledge. I am sure, it was a scary , eye-opening experience for you to be hospitalized, due to your addition. I wish you future success and look forward to reading more of your posts.
  6. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Hello, Kim! Thanks for sharing. :)
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have only smoked weed, I haven't heard of synthethic marijuana before. I assume it's more harmful because it's synthetic. Anyway, that was a very scary eye opener for you, and I'm glad that you have learned from it and it made you quit smoking weed. Who knew that the effects of weed can be that worse, right?
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi Kim! I can't imagine the the hardship from all the things you went through especially when your life was already at stake because of marijuana. Your story is a lesson for everyone who are currently taking and are still planning to take that kind or any kind of addictive substance. There will always be consequences to the wrong things we do and lucky are the people who are still given the chance to correct their mistakes. You are clearly one of them and I'm glad you were able to take that opportunity. :)
  9. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Hi Kim!! Thanks for sharing! You must had a really hard life! I'm glad that you got over marijuana because many people believe that marijuana helps soothes the mind or reduce stress. While that may be true for some people, it still damages you on the inside and will hurt you in the long run. Keep going on the right path!