An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Story

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Anahap, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Anahap

Anahap Member

Hello, I've been smoking cigarettes for 11 years, and I'm 26 years old. I used to hate the act of smoking before I picked it up as a habit. Now I can't quit. I tried on several occasions, and I failed each time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up, but failing so many times is kind of depressing. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Welcome @Anahap I'm sure you are doing your best to stop smoking. The fact that you understand within yourself that nicotine and other substances aren't supposed to be in your body doing harm than good. Your self-awareness is a good start.

Do find an accountability partner who can help you quit your habit. The person you love and are free to express your desire to get well and be rid of smoking. Plan or sketch a reward-system every time you don't puff a smoke. The money you spend to buy cigarettes, save that money and double the amount when you accomplished a day of not smoking. Your accountability partner will hold the money saved for you. Do a lot of walking in the sun at the park. Play some basketball. Write songs about your struggles and about how you have been finding hope to go through them. Sing. Dance. Exercise. Help out at a civic center-- they might be needing your help there.

I will think of you among our young friends here. I will pray. :)
  3. Anahap

Anahap Member

Thank you for your reply ! My girlfriend also smokes and she wants to quit as well. She could be my accountability partner, and hopefully we can both quit this bad and destructive habit. I never tried a reward-system until now, maybe this was my mistake. I'll give it a try. Thank you very much and have a lovely day.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hello @Anahap! :) I have also been a heavy smoker and quitting was hard at first because almost all my friends were smokers too. So whenever I would hang out with them, I found it hard to resist the urge to smoke. But when I finally had my own family, they were the ones whom I used as motivating factors to change.

Try to find the right inspiration and motivation to change and hold on to it. It can be your dreams for the future or your family. Whatever drives you to change, use it to be inspired on achieving sobriety. You may fall a lot of times but have the patience to push through and never give up. I wish you luck! :)
    Anahap likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Anahap! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. Well, I should say that quitting smoking or any kind of substance will never be that easy. That is why you should be mentally and physically prepared before deciding to stop your bad habit. Don't worry, I know you will be able to overcome this addiction in time. You will get there eventually. Just focus on your goal. Best of luck! :)
    Anahap likes this.
  6. Anahap

Anahap Member

Thank you @gracer and @dyanmarie25, it feels very good to read your encouraging words. I am really motivated to quit smoking right now, and I will take all your suggestions into consideration while doing so. Thank you again !
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Anahap... It's like they say: "If at first you don't succeed..."

You just need to keep trying, my friend. Before I quit smoking for good, I tried and failed multiple times. Failing doesn't mean you'll never succeed. You just have to pick yourself up and give it another go.

Personally, I found that quitting cold turkey was what worked best for me. After the first week it got easier, and the days started adding up. It'll be 25 years for me on October 11th.

Exercise is a great tool for helping you quit. So is drinking LOTS of water. Both things help to flush out your system. And exercise gets your body's natural endorphins flowing.

I also sucked on a lot of Dum-Dum suckers, toothpicks, and cinnamon sticks to help with the oral fixation part.

I wish you and your girlfriend the best of luck in your efforts to quit. Whatever you do, don't give up. Quitting smoking is one of the best things I've ever done for myself, and when you finally quit you'll feel the same way.

Positive vibes being sent your way!
    Anahap likes this.