An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My story

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Jani_pikki, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

Just joined today. I would like to share my story.

I was addicted to over counter medication and prescription drug for just over ten years. Became addicted because of severe back ache,long story short I am year clean and trying to cope with the chronic pain naturally. I am doing good so far, but it gets frustrating sometimes dealing with it and and making it even more difficult is the fact that I am Bipolar aswell,also trying to cope without that medication,but I'm getting there.

Almost a year ago my family shared devastating news, that my youngest brother is an severe CAT addict and needs help.

So now I try to support and give my best to help my little brother recover. Still a long road for him...
    MrsJones, CryingCanary and bhu like this.
  2. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hello and welcome, @Jani_pikki. I'm glad you're here. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Chronic pain causes many people to become addicted to over the counter and prescription medication. You are not alone. Click around through these forums. You'll find plenty of us who share your path. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's addiction, but I'm glad your family realizes he needs help, rather than simply rejecting him out of hand. It's very fortunate that he has a loving sister who knows and understand addiction and supports him fully on his path. Many blessings to you and your family as you travel this road together. Keep coming back to these forums for experience, strength and hope, and please let your brother know we're here for him, too.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Hi! Welcome to the forums. You've found the right place for all kinds of support with addiction, recovery and dealing with an addicted family member. First I'd like to say congratulations on being clean for a year. That is a tough goal tbat you've succesfully completed. Also, I'd like to say that I'm sorry about your brother... I also have addicted family members and am a former addict myself.

Please, take a look around and make yourself at home... you are amongst friends.
  4. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum, friend. It's really sad to listen that you are suffering from bipolar. Remember, we are all here to help you. You can post for help whenever you need help. We are here to help your brother.
  5. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

Welcome to the forum @Jani_pikki I hope you find it as helpful and supportive as I have. although we have both been clear for about a year now I feel it is still a daily struggle. This forum really helps me to cope with this struggle and even if you don't always post just read the inspiring tales. I do this for a couple of hours a day at the moment. Also do not be afraid to ask when you need help, for you and your brother. We are all here for you, welcome to the family.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Jani_pikki... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. Congratulations on getting clean despite your chronic pain and bipolar disorder. You are a courageous person and I'm proud of you for what you're doing. It's also wonderful that you are supporting your little brother. That's so incredibly important. Please know that we are here to help and support you any way we can. So don't hesitate to reach out, okay? Keep doing the next right thing, my friend.

Peace and hugs.
  7. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

Thank you everyone for all the warm, caring well hearted replies. It's so nice to have a place to come to for support and inspiration.
  8. deanokat

We're here for you, @Jani_pikki. :)
  9. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

One thing I have learned about this amazing group of people is that many of us have shared the same heartbreak, but in different forms. It is nice to know that you have a place to turn to, whether you're the addict or a victim of the addict. I have never seen such love and care for total strangers. It's overwhelming at first, but you will learn to embrace it.

I am sorry to hear of your sadness and your struggles. Congrats on being clean and maintaining the best you can. Prescription meds are hard to kick. Just stay strong, and use us for support when you need it. It has helped me overcome a lot of painful thoughts since I've been here, and I am so glad I found this group.
    Noreht, deanokat and kassie1234 like this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree with @achexx84 - we all seem to share a common bond, whether it's our own battles with addiction or that of loved ones - but the best thing is the support. It's unwavering and honestly it's like a big family here. Everyone looks out for one another and wants only the best for each other. It's a safe place to express yourself and to vent - so please feel free to do that if you need to.

<3
  11. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

@Jani_pikki. Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations to you on your journey thus far. It's good to hear that you are there to support your brother. I pray that you will find lots of experiences that have been shared within this forum for you and your brother.
  12. deanokat

@achexx84 and @kassie1234... You are both so right. The kindness and support shown by people here is truly amazing. Glad you're both a part of this community. :)
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hello, and welcome to this forum. Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad that you're doing better now, keep it up!
    I'm sorry to hear about your brother addiction, and it's heartwarming to see that you're willing to help him and support him through his process. Feel free to share with us everything that you want, there's a lot of supportive and amazing people around here :).
    See you around!
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It sounds like it has been tough for you in past ten years and the situation with your brother is making things worse. I am really sorry to hear this but you have to know that the balance will be restored and you and your family will be happy again. You have to believe in that and follow that trail. Think positive. Stay on the track you picked for yourself because it is a good one and try to help your brother directly and indirectly but you are already doing it by setting an example for him. Just do not give up on life and yourself.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, Jani! So sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he recovers soon. You did the right thing by coming here, because this community is filled with a lot kind and non judgmental people who are or have battled addiction themselves or are here on behalf of a relative or friend who is battling with addiction.
    MrsJones likes this.
  16. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Hello, welcome to the forum. It's nice to see you on the road to recovery. Remember, you're not alone. There are tons of people who can help. cheers...:D