An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

my struggle to withdraw

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Former Zanax addict, Feb 4, 2015.

1. I went through this about 12 years ago and both the addiction and detox were horrible! Xanax was prescribed to me by my family doctor after neck surgery because the neurologist who did my surgery pulled me off Soma and Vicodin cold turkey after being on these medications because I had a bone spur pressing into my spinal cord for 3 years. I was having major withdrawals from the Soma and Vicodin after taking them for so long I went to my family doctor for help...the help was all the Xanax I needed! Within 3 months I was completed addicted to Xanax and doctor shopping to make sure I had enough at all times. I lost a very good paying job, custody of my 3 little girl and everything I owned. I finally decided to try to detox on my own which lasted 1and1/2days before I had my first seizure. Ending up in the hospital instead of trying to get me help they wrote me another prescription and told me not to do that again...big help right? Ended up in the hospital again 2 months later and once again was given another prescription. When I ran out the next time I knew what was going to happen so I took myself to the ER and told the doctor the whole story and told him I didn't want another quick fix I wanted to go to rehab. It was a Friday night and he did write me another prescription to get me through the weekend so they could get me into rehab on Monday so on Monday I check myself in. The first thing they did was take away what few pills I had left and put me in a room where I could come out and talk to other addicts but by Tuesday night I thought I was losing my mind, shaking uncontrollably and had insomnia. By Wednesday morning I couldn't get out of bed and they sent a nurse to stay with me. I don't remember much about that day except they kept checking my blood pressure and the nurse telling me to hang on and fight for the rest of the day. From time to time she would tell me reasons why I wanted to live. I must have been falling asleep or passing out from time to time but every time I came toshe was right there telling me to just hang on. By Thursday morning I was awake and feeling weak but somewhat better andthe nurse left mealone, only checking on me off and on. By Friday I managed to get up, walk around and eatbut had major insomnia. The insomnia did start to improve by Sunday when I was discharged but I willsay that was the most difficult week of my life and I swore to myself I would never touch Xanax again and to this day I've held to that!
  2. Facts

Facts Member

Wow! That sounds pretty intense... I'm so sorry what Xanax did to you, even if this was 12 years ago. I only used Xanax for three weeks and felt pretty crazy after stopping cold turkey. This feeling lasted for about 3-5 days... for at least another week I had to regain social functionality completely. After only three weeks of binge use. You took it for 3 months... I can't even imagine what you've gone through, but I know what addiction can be like, especially with Xanax and benzos.

I've heard of seizures being a possibility during withdrawal, I'm extremely thankful to have avoided this. You fought a tough fight.

Congratulations on the 12 years. Now that's what I call commitment. :D
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is sometimes good to learn from experience. Now you have a story for those who have never tried that. That is also positive since you will not want to get into such situation again. Stay focused and you will realise that you're heading towards the right track.
  4. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I am so sorry that you have had to go through all this, however it is absolutely amazing that you have beaten your addiction, and that you feel that you will never be taken in by it again. Your story is an absolute inspiration, and I hope that anybody who happens to be struggling right now is able to read it and see just how much it actually possible to achieve when you put your mind to it. I am sure that you will be able to look forward to a long and happy future thanks to your perseverance, so very well done to you.
  5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

That sounds like an incredibly rough experience you've been through. The dangers of prescription drugs should not be understated and they can be just as dangerous as illegal hard drugs. I'm glad that you've overcome your ordeal and that you're committed to staying clean. I know it must have been one of a hell ride but I can sense from your post that you're a stronger person today because of it.