An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My tale about Sleeping Pills...

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Shimus, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I hope this doesn't count as plagiarism, because this is my exact story from a different recovery forum I went to, to spread my words and hope I can save even one person.

I do not believe in sleeping pills, and I'll tell you why.

I used to do a lot of drugs. I mean a rockstar-style amount. I then realized I was headed nowhere but shortening years off my life instead and I thought to myself why keep on. Then I remembered an experience I had, and it drove it further home. Like smashed-out-of-the-park type of drove.

This is the experience. Me and my brother got hooked on some nasty pills called Seroquel. In small doses they actually worked as prescribed and would keep you down when you went out. However in large doses (and they always were large doses) would knock you out for days on end. I abused them. I won't lie. I had fun and would escape the world for awhile for my own world.

One day I didn't wake up. Until I was on an operating room table, and they told me my heart had officially stopped four times. I don't know who was looking out for me (Call it god, a higher power, an angel, whatever) but someone wanted me to live. And atone for abuse.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Oh my goodness... That is very scary! I am so glad that you survived the ordeal and that you are alive!
    Thank you for sharing your story, it will help a lot of people out there.
  3. Shimus

Thanks for saying something. It takes a relatively big amount of courage to come out I believe. I have issues still to this day talking to just random stranger A or B, but I find A or B to be more receptive to my recovery and my issues then someone who can stare directly at me. I don't know.
  4. DiscoLizard

DiscoLizard Member

I'm glad you got a second chance at life Shimus, not everyone does. Being asleep for a couple days at a time doesn't sound like my idea of fun, and I hope now you have found better coping methods to deal with your burden.
  5. Shimus

I have. It's not easy, but it's day-to-day. Thanks for caring. My moral is this:

You only have one life. Don't throw it away just because something "feels" good. Try to actively live life.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It must have been pretty scary for you. Had you not woken up people would have assumed it was a suicide. You were pretty lucky to make it back. Good thing that came out of it was, you decided the addiction wasn't worth dying for. How many people make the same mistake? Taking drugs to escape the world even for a little while? I hope those who read this that do and read this thread will learn something from you.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

It sounds like God had a plan for you because that sounds like a supernatural happening. You are extremely lucky to be alive right now. Be proud that you're here and don't take any day for granted. I am glad that you made it.
  8. Shimus

I don't believe in God from all the stuff I've seen in my life with no solid proof. I do however believe believing in God and being spiritual are two different things. I found a higher being that day, to be certain, but I can't quantify it as God. Somebody who had passed on who loved me perhaps. Maybe dumb luck. Perhaps my doctors were just that awesome.

Whatever it was. It's not magic, it's not supernatural. It was a dumb kid doing dumb mistakes and thinking it was fun. That it was a way out. I was naive. I was a lone. And most importantly, I didn't care. Now I do. And I see how horribly mistaken I was. Nobody should try to take an easy out. We all want relief, release. Drugs are NOT the way.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

That would do it for me. I bet you learned your lesson, or at least I hope you did. That is very scary so glad you are still here with us. You are here like the rest of us to spread the word, and hopefully help save a life in the process.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, I hope you learned your lesson and will stop abusing any other substances from now on. Seriously, it's a very tricky game. I'm not a Christian, but I know there was natural force that helped you overcome all these! Who knows, maybe you are Mother Gaia's chosen son!
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I can identify with this because I used to take pills and sleep for days on end. Sometimes I would mention to someone how many pills I took at one time, and they'd tell me that I had to be mistaken, that I couldn't possibly take that many at one time.

Glad you woke up, and now you get to live your life and share your story, and help a few folks along the way.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it was a scary experience and really a good thing that you managed to survived even your heart stopped 4 times. I have tried using any of those sleeping pills even I do have sleeping problems cause I rather find natural ways to deal with it than popping those pills.
  13. Shimus

Thank you. I do get to live, and I AM advocating against it. If I help even ONE, I will have lived long enough to be useful instead of a stain on society.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Very true, you get to help 'even one', even if that one is "only" yourself (although you could help thousands as well).
    It's good to feel useful, that's what we're here for, to be useful to ourselves, our family, and to society.
  15. Shimus

It definitely does feel good to be altruistic. Even at the cost of personal injury or note; I like to help. It makes you feel not only wanted by the people you help; not only the attention others will heap on you; it just feels genuinely good to know you've done something to try someone else from committing the same mistakes.
  16. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I've only taken sleeping pills twice in my life. I took a whole pad of it and washed it down with half a bottle of Subzero.
    When I woke up, I felt disappointed and did it again. What I didn't know was people have been looking for me because no one could find me for 2 days. My second "nap" was interrupted and woke up in a hospital.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Though I suffer from insomnia most of the time, I have never taken sleeping pills yet, and after reading your post, I don't think I'll ever try them in the near future. Anyway, it's good that you were able to wake up from that dreadful addiction, and has finally pulled yourself together. Have a good life!
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

It's sad it had to come to that for you to recover, but it's awesome that you made it through the ordeal. You now have a chance to help other people in similar circumstances. I wish you the best and many more blessings.