An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Naltrexone

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Jane, May 30, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Has anyone here used naltrexone and be willing to share your experiences with it?

It's mostly used for opium addictions, but it's been successful with alcohol and even binging addictions. I would prefer to hear first hand reviews instead of just what shows up in studies, though.
  2. dakotacensus

dakotacensus Member

I don't have any personal experience to share, but I did look into naltrexone in relation to a family member's addiction. The reason we decided not to pursue it is that the case for its use over something like methadone isn't very solid. It is most commonly used as a treatment for alcohol addiction, where it has some efficacy. In 2012 (I think) it was approved by the FDA as a treatment for opioid dependance, but that was based on a single clinical study out of Russia. The flaw in the decision was that in Russia the current best available treatments, methadone or buprenorphine, are not available, so the effectiveness of naltrexone was only compared with the use of a placebo. It did outperform that, but there is currently no evidence, that I'm aware of, that it is more effective option that methadone or buprenorphine.