An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Narcotic gateway?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by remnant, Mar 1, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most abusers of hard drugs like cocaine and heroine started out as cigarette smokers. After the initial physiological reaction where one puffs and coughs, the rest is a downhill ride. One finally realizes that the sticks don't give a strong enough 'kick' and soon graduates to alcohol and or marijuana. The rest is history.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This might be true but the great majority of smokers don't go passed cigarettes. I wouldn't say that cigarettes are the first building blocks.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think you are exaggerating a bit here ;) I'd not say that cigarettes drive people directly to something as rough as coke or heroine ;) You might end up trying marijuana, but being addicted to nicotine doesn't mean you will feel like trying heroine. After all it's a different kind of kick.
  4. blenly

blenly Member

I think that if this is true then it only happens in very few cases. The majority of smokers I know don't dabble in anything stronger and many started smoking young. Smoking and narcotics are two completely different ball games. Maybe many heroin addicts smoke but not many smokers are heroin addicts.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is a very good point, it's easy to look at what else a heroin addict might be addicted too and try and pin it on that but I think it's better to look at it the other way.