An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

NASA will pay you 18000 USD to stay in bed and smoke weed for 70 straight days

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Mara, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I came across this article that says, ''NASA is currently looking for volunteers to participate in their “Rest Studies”, in which participants will have to spend 70 straight days in bed and smoke different types of cannabis, receiving $18,000 for the period of aggressive bodily atrophy.''

http://healthcurecenter.com/nasa-wi...y-in-bed-and-smoke-weed-for-70-straight-days/

It sounded too good to be true. I did some googling and found out that it's another hoax.

https://greenrushdaily.com/2016/02/26/nasa-paying-people-18000-lay-bed-smoke-weed/

The crazy things that people come up with and post on the internet truly astound me.
    EJR likes this.
  2. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I wonder how many people would consider doing that. It is a lot of money for a little over two months time and all you have to do is stay in bed and smoke weed. But that would bring up considerations such as going to the bathroom and eating. Would you be allowed to be in contact with other people? Have TV to watch? Or any other form of entertainment for that period of time. I am sure there were people who checked it out to see if it was serious so they could participate as people do need money. Thanks for sharing this even though it is not true. It was entertaining.
    Mara likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That sounds really unhealthy to be just in bed for a long period of time and just smoking weed. No doubt it was just a hoax cause why would NASA would have such kind of studies.
    Mara likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If it had been true that would have been the easiest money some people would have made. There are people who smoke weed several times a day, every day for the whole year. Those 70 days doing something they always do would have been quite enjoyable and the end of it they'd get paid. Question though is why would NASA start doing research on drugs when they should be trying to find the 9th planet?
    Mara likes this.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I found out about that article because a friend of mine posted it on social media. You wouldn't believe how many people replied to her post and are willing to go as volunteer test subjects. It's crazy.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It really sounds like a hoax. Any one would love to stay in bed and smoke weed for over two months, with food provided. I still think this would be really unhealthy, too much of anything can be bad for you. You really have to be careful about what you read on the internet sometimes.
  7. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I wish I could do this study, but I have too much things to do to just smoke weed. I think it would mess with my mental health to smoke weed for 70 straight days. Will NASA pay for my rehab costs?
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Thank god it was a hoax. An experiment that puts a life of an individual in danger should never be carried. If there was this kind of experiment, it should always use primate instead of a human. I don't think anyone,including addicts, would try such experiment.
  9. healey

healey Member

There's 10,000 frat bros who are saying 'Bruh, I already qualify'. Can you imagine what it'd do to your muscles and body with that kind of little movement?
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I have no idea it was a hoax! Thanks for letting me know, a little googleing confirms.
    BUT you would be surprised what addicts will do for free drugs and money.
  11. philthegoat

philthegoat Active Contributor

I knew it wasn't true the moment I saw it. The Internet is fulled up with so many hoaxes these days, you never know what true or not. The first time I heard about it, my friend had posted a link on twitter and he was so, insanely, excited about it. At first, I thought it was true, but then I just thought about it for a second and realised it was nothing but a hoax. Why would NASA ever do something like that? They don't even have the authority. Too many gullible people living on our world.
    Mara likes this.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Honestly how could someone fall for this. Unless it was just wishful thinking, but why would they need someone to do a test of this type and isn't there enough data out there about this.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I would imagine if this is something that was really offered, there would b no shortage of volunteers. It is just one of these if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I think thi sis one of the things that fits that general description. I wonder how many clicks they got? I bet it numbered in the thousands.
    Mara likes this.
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Your right it does sound like a under handed click campaign. Normally they offer something that people would really like and they generate tons of traffic.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

That's almost as funny as gathering volunteers to spend the rest of their lives on Mars! Oh, wait a minute - isn't that really happening?!
    Mara likes this.
  16. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

If this ever became a real test, it would be interesting to see what the outcome was. I would hope you would have various things to entertain you, or I would go crazy doing nothing after the 3rd day. I've seen this share in actual job search pages and knew it was a hoax immediately. It's funny how many people were jumping at the bit to get an application.
    Mara likes this.