An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Natural Alcohol Detox Remedies

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by kevinkimers, Nov 7, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

2. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

I would argue that medical detox - diazepam & librium - both of which I have had to take in rehab are the best way to handle withdrawal but if this is about just detox then yes all those things in the article are good.

Whenever I have detoxed myself I have used those things, actually that's given me a topic idea.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Best way to detox from ethanol addiction, stop thinking about it, stop using it and stop being around it - it's that simple. Taking a drug to get rid of a drug problem, is one of the most contradictory practice I know people will suffer for. Best to change one bad habit, with a superior good habit, but without any further drug use - the pills are placebos and dish out to make revenue for the drug programs only, it doesn't help an addict overall.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I would try anything before going onto medication to help with an addiction. You have to do what is best for you and sometimes herbal does not take well when you have done heavy usage of bad drugs. I always suggest that people go to professionals for medication and help as this is the only way to do it and to keep away from the addiction.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Detoxing from alcohol takes many different levels. Obviously, you need to work on the liver and kidneys so that they can filter out the poisons. There are many herbal remedies that will help with this process, such as St. Mary's Thistle, Dandelion, Nettle, etc. You will also do well by adopting a healthy diet that contains plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit to help with the cleansing process. I think it's a great idea to take a holistic approach from the very beginning and steer away from pharmaceuticals wherever possible.
  6. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Using beer as an alcohol detox might not be ideal for an alcoholic, but then again, the pills that they suggest in the article could become an addiction as well. What a person uses to detox depends on what the person feels the most comfortable with. Whatever works for them. For me personally, if I happened to binge drink over the holidays and needed to detox, I think the beer would be a safer bet for me than using pills.
  7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Its like pumping out the bad contents so your body's immune system. There are probably vids showcasing the detox process. Of course the healthy diet is something that can work. Eating those veggies is some good diet food lol.
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

Well I know something that may help you, but you must be carefully, I know that if you drink a tea made of parsley leafs, and you drink it daily for no more than 7 days, it may help to naturally detox your liver, but you may not exceed the 7 days because it may be dangerous, but if people is still drinking alcohol I would not recommend this.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

amethyst likes this.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Interesting. I have never been that far into alcoholism nor have I met anyone like that. So my advice wouldn't be for the extreme. For mid level to mild I would say just let the body naturally heal itself. Lot sof water an a good diet with lotso of raw veggies should to the trick. For the extreme counterpart, that's a difficult one. I'm no doctor by assume your are going to be really sick the first few days. A professional opinion is needed.
  11. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Oh no, I wasn't implying anyone here suggested the herbal remedy for severe alcohol withdrawal. I just wanted to make sure no one got the wrong idea. Because people can die from it.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't think their is really anything "simple" about this. For some people it might be pretty easy to stay away and get rid of the addiction, but addiction is a powerful thing that can affect people in many different ways. I think it's pointless to trivialize what someone else may be feeling, and I'm sure a lot of former alcoholics would agree that "stop being around it" is easier said than done is some situations.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I could agree that a medication could be just another addiction.
    I am also a kind of person who likes natural methods or ways first before taking drugs or medication. This article can be really useful, thanks.
  14. jobenvy

jobenvy Member

I never needed medication when i decided to put the bottle down. Just stopped replying to my friends texts when they wanted to to go out drinking, i locked myself in the house went to the gym early in the mornings ran in the afternoons all i did was anything during the day hours to make myself want to do nothing but sleep all night. The key is keep yourself busy and you'll forget about drinking. worked for me
  15. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I think all herbal medicines are ideally better than prescribed medicine, as one person stated that they oftentimes are even more addictive, than the initial substance you were addicted to. I have never heard of these medicines in the article but it was a good read and I hope it will help someone as many are here just seeking the help. Thanks for sharing.
  16. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that it's safe to say that each medication on it's own is different, and that each one has its own drawbacks and positives. It depends on what works for the individual. Sacrificing one addiction for another is not a good thing, but stepping down gradually may be the best way for others. It's also easy to cast "Big Pharma" and the "bad guy" light, but the truth is, at the end of the day it's the drug and how it's used by the individual.
  17. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

The home remedies are good ideas, but I still think tha someone should seek medical advice first before doing it, not all people are the same, people react differently to to different treatments, I would check with my medical doctor first.
  18. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I think the natural way to detox is a great idea. I just hope it is a very effective way to detox. I know treatment facilities to center their treatment on certain detox meds but this would be great for the body.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Thanks for the article. I had not seen anything like that. It would be a much better idea than taking drugs. I love these people who think they need to consult a doctor before trying this. Lol, If I did that every time I wanted to use something for a health reason. I've cured more things on my own than with any prescription that a doctor has given. I've even come up with my own combinations.
    I think that medicine wants people addicted to thinking you need their approval for everything that you do. The best way is to learn to think critically for yourself. This way you are more self sufficient. I think it really depends upon the health issue. I've really pushed the envelope with certain things. I am pretty courageous in that way and this his how you get results. I've literally cured things or cleared things up when a doctor has said that is not going to change. So to me, this is narrow minded thinking.
  20. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Yes it sounds better to not take the meds than to take them and feel uncomfortable. I cannot fathom people who sit down and absorb all of these narcotics and think its okay. I rather go natural than to abuse my body for the high. I never really went to thinking about using drugs to solve any issues that I had. Glad that I can stand my ground and not succumb to the effects of the narcotics.