An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Natural detox for smokers

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Anonymous, Jan 15, 2015.

1. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

Deep breathing exercises are one of the core batteries of learning how to control your cravings.

I never truly realized how powerful breathing, and being in my happy place was. It's very therapeutic and it also helps get yourself in a meditative mindset. When it comes to smoking, you need all the tools you can get. It's definitely one of the worse habits I've ever had.
  2. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I think this is an excellent detox method. Meditation and deep breathing can help fight addiction and offer respiratory benefits for the body. Meditation is an effective stress reliever as well, and if paired with yoga can improve your physical well-being and possibly give you a new hobby.

I do a mix of meditation and yoga, but in a different way than the norm. Instead of sitting quietly to myself, I prefer walking around and listening to ambient music or instrumentals. Walking is great exercise and it helps me organize my thoughts and feelings. I try to do yoga in the mornings or if I'm bored. If I keep my body busy and focus on my poses, it allows me to fight off cravings (sometimes).
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't heard of this technique before, I'm glad that it's been helpful for you. I am trying to quit cigarettes and I definitely have noticed a difference of my respiratory system, I'm going to try it, I hope it helps!
    Thanks for sharing.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Breathing like that sounds a bit unnatural at first, but it can be helpful and is calming. Not only is it good for your respiratory system it can also be very relaxing once you get used to it, and calm your urge to smoke. So, I think it is a technique that is helpful for all and gives individuals what they need.
  5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Meditation is something that is surprisingly helpful. I was super surprised when I started doing Yoga. The meditation helped relax me throughout the day and get more in tune with myself as a human being. It taught me to take a breather every once in a while and not stress about every little thing. I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is really more the sot of thing that I am into personally, as I have an obsession/fascination with the human mind and how it works. Meditation is an amazing tool which can unlock all sorts of possibilities, many of which are considered 'paranormal' or 'supernatural', although once you realize how they work they are in fact completely natural and completely normal. It's just that we've become cut off from these possibilities and don't know how to use our true mind power any more. I have, in fact, successfully achieved chronesthesia and chronokinesis by using meditative techniques.
  7. hwarren

hwarren Member

I have tried quitting a million times - clearly I give up too easy but this forum has really given me the motivation to quit. It's hard to take up things like this when I'm chasing a one year old throughout the house but it's something that I could keep in practice with.

I feel so motivated I want to start now. My body needs to be more healthy for the sake of my family if anything, I eat healthy, I live healthy, everything I do right but not the smoking and there are days I hate myself for it.