An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Navigating your social life sober: Tips & tricks

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I thought this would be a good place to have a section where members add ways to make navigating your social life a tad easier now that you're sober. It seems that people have a pretty difficult time negotiating that world sober. It's probably second to depression in the book of 'things that help people fall off the wagon'.

My suggestion is you have to own that you are sober wherever you go. You can walk around with your obligatory seltzer & lime but don't avoid discussing your sobriety. Make it clear & don't feel like it's awkward. It's not. A person who needs to get drunk to enjoy themselves should feel awkward. Not you.
    missbishi likes this.
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Now that I am sober it is a little hard for my friends to ask me out. Some of them always want to go to bars and they will txt me things like "You don't have to drink!" They don't really understand that just being in that setting will make me want a drink so bad and it is putting my sobriety at risk.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I totally get this! Like you're going to be happy and content sat there with a Coke (the soda) whilst you are surrounded by alcohol. One tip for friends of those in recovery would be to suggest going to places where people don't drink - like the movies or a gallery.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You have a point. Just take charge and be assertive. Let them know where you stand, and that's the bottom line. Why hide it? Celebrate your sobriety with confidence and charisma.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That's a good suggestion, JoanMcWench! I know a lot of people that feel ashamed of their sobriety status, just because they feel that they'll be portrayed badly in the real world.
    It's only something subconcious, a lot of people don't care if you drink or not. You just have to be proud that you beat a very bad addiction.
  6. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

You shouldn't be ashamed of sobriety. If anyone doesn't like it or has a problem with, that's on them. Be the man of the hour and stand alone.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah, flaunt your sobriety. You've worked hard to be able to successfully beat your addictions. You should be proud of it. ;)