An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nearby high school has a Xanax issue

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Mackmax, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

A high school not too far from me is having an Xanax issue with it's students. One girl had to go to the hospital after completely overdosing on the drug and collapsing during class. Many students continue using the drug, and it is scaring me. These kids are not much younger than me, so to think that they are popping pills at this age and the school has done nothing to stop it disgusts me. My friend has a niece who goes to the school, and her niece says that the school hasn't informed any of the parents about the issue, so the parents are absolutely clueless as to why their sons and daughters are coming home high. Nobody wants to tell who is dealing it, since everyone is too scared to be labeled a "snitch". Sigh, hopefully this can be dealt with soon.
  2. Bamber8810

Bamber8810 Member

Unfortunately Xanex is just one of the many pills that high school aged students are able to get ahold of. These kids take the medicine out of their parents medicine cabinets. Pass it out like candy to their friends. This is all to common in these days. Kids need to be educated not punished. They don't understand the consequences fully. This is something that is shyed away from. We teach them the consequences of sex why not drugs. Yeah you can do it but this might happen or this will happen. If you take it with this, then you will die. Kids don't know these things because they are not educated. I assure you it isn't just the school up the street it's everywhere.
  3. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

The high school in my neighborhood has a massive xanax problem. For some reason, the objective is to take one or two and chug some vodka and black out. Why anybody would do this intentionally is beyond me.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I've taken Xanax in the past after a hard day at work to unwind. I took it without a prescription and recreationally with a beer. It gives the feeling of euphoria and completely wipes away any stress. It's not okay to self medicate, but if you want to know why they do it...
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it has to do with looking cool and trying to impress people that it can help you hide from your problems and, it is easy to get which should be stopped no wander students are using it. Taking drugs to escape problems is not a good way as, soon you will be addicted and want to have it all the time and waste your money resort to stealing to get the drug. Students need to be made aware of the consequences and what can happen when they overdose and think it is a good way to help them do well in the school environment.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The school's administrators have a duty to get to the bottom of the matter and eradicate this vice as a matter of urgency. It's just unacceptable that this practice can continue unchecked and the police should be called in to investigate who's dealing with the drugs.