An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Need help with getting cousin off Xanax

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Survivor21, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Hey there,

I was wondering how I should go about getting my cousin off Xanax. She's had a really rough childhood, and I've been trying really hard to get her to kick her addiction. Unfortunately, there aren't too many rehab centers nearby, and ideally, I'd like to be there for her as much as I can to help her through her addiction.

Any tips from someone in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm really worried about my cousin, and I want to help her get through this.

Thanks!
  2. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Treatment for xanax addiction can be dangerous. She needs to be slowly taken off of the medication to avoid health issues. Is there any way she can see a doctor who can safely monitor her situation?
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

4. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

That's the thing. I have taken her to see a doctor, but after going once or twice, she doesn't follow through on her appointments. She'll always find some kind of excuse to not go and she becomes very difficult to deal with if pressed. I am really at my wit's end on what to do.

Jen, thank you so much for that link! I'll take some time out to go through it and see if I can come up with some strategies to take care of my cousin.
    Jen S. likes this.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

You're welcome. Let us know if you need anything else :)
  6. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is a pity that you dont have rehab facilities nearby. Perhaps you could ask a doctor what to do to get her off slowly but someone will have to be with her 24 hours a day to monitor her, which is a huge responsibility.
  7. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Yes, indeed, that is a problem. I've been spending as much time as possible with her. Although I cannot fully relate to what she's going through, I try to be as emphatic as possible. I haven't had an easy life myself, and there have been times where I've had to simply put my head down and struggle through it, so I can definitely understand some of the things that she goes through on a daily basis.

I think the hardest part for me is to restore her confidence in herself and to help her see that it does get better. I'm working with her on a daily basis, and she has her ups and downs. It's certainly not easy, because it does take a toll on me when I see her relapse. To be honest, she does become very difficult when she experiences withdrawal symptoms.
  8. tasha

Getting through the withdrawal symptoms is a huge challenge and it is not easy to do. She does need supervision in case she tries to go back to it and you also need to watch her heart rate as this could be effected with the withdrawal. It must be difficult for you to do this and just be strong and if you can see if there is a place that you can get her to for extra help.
  9. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I've been trying to spend as much time as possible with her. Her heart rate was affected. The doctor I took her to see did some tests and told me about the ricks. Yeah, it is difficult, but I'm determined not to give up on her. She's had a rough life and I'm the closest she has to someone understanding her, and I'll be damned if I give up. Thank you once again for your support!
  10. tasha

That is fantastic and with someone like you she certainly will get better!
  11. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

I would find her a rehab. So what if it is far away? In the rehab she will be watched, have access to doctors, her meds will be administered and she will receive information on triggers and handling her addiction. What is it that you think you can do in person that you cannot do through phone calls and the mail?

The problem with addiction is that recovery is lonely. Only the addict can do the work necessary to get sober. You stated that you have been trying hard to get her clean, but what is she doing? She is not following directions, so it sounds like you are trying more than she is. Try to find her a rehab. Let her get involved in her own recovery in that way. But keep in mind, the decision to go is hers--not yours.

Good luck to you both.
  12. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Benzo addiction is horrible I hear. While I have never gone through addiction, I have gone through withdrawal from not taking my clonazepam and it is just a bad experience. Read the link that Jen gave you. Also tapering off is VERY important. Otherwise there will be withdrawal symptoms. I was taking about 2 mg/day and when I stopped for a week because I ran out of my medication it was one of the worst times of my life. Since that time I take the proper prescribed dosage and never falter. I did not know how bad benzodiazepine withdrawal was. Lesson learned. Good luck to your cousin and bless you for trying to help her.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is interesting I didn't realize that xanax was so addictive. I guess everyone is different. It all might depend upon how much access they have to it. Whether or not a doctor prescribes it regularly or if they get it on the street. I wonder how old this person is? She needs an alternative to this not just help or detox. She needs to know there is another way to feel as good as what the xanax makes her feel. You gotta point out the strong herbal alternatives. Lobelia or valerian she would like. There are many others that are good. This is much better than xanax.