An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Need help

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by thisizznaveen, Apr 30, 2015.

1. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Today I am totally become lover of alcohol and wine. My day start with drinking and at night ends with drinking. I feel relax when take alcohol. But I know it's very dangerous soo tell me what can I do to get out of it.
    Help me.
  2. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

It sounds like maybe you are using the alcohol to replace or self medicate a hurt or possible depression in your life. First thing I would do is make an appointment to see a medical professional and let them know honestly what is going on. You have already taken the first step in recovery because you have realized that you may have a problem. Talk to your doctor or a loved one and see if you can head this off before it becomes an avalanche that you cant seem to dig out of. I know you can do it! I believe in you.
    thisizznaveen likes this.
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I guess you can try to moderate your drinking every day. Its not like anyone is telling you that you can't drink - just adjust it so it won't ruin your health. A glass or two of wine or beer a day is alright. Its actually advisable specially after a long, tiring day. While drinking has yet to pose a problem for you, adjust yourself. Its kind of a bummer if the very thing that you love causes your demise, right?
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

You should look for the root of the problem. What causes you to drink and target that, it might be stress and anxiety so find out what is really causing you to have stress and solve the root of the problem.
  5. DCMY

DCMY Member

I agree with the previous posts. You need to go back and check the root of your issue, the cause for that emotional state. Drinking alcohol is very dangerous and it can lead to many issues. No matter what people tell you, alcoholism is an addiction and a disease. Find someone to talk to and avoid drinking as much as you can. Drowning away in sorrow will get you nowhere. Sometimes you have to stand up and resolve the problems and not hide from them.
  6. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

You can try diverting from alcohol to another activity. Perhaps you can go jogging whenever you feel the urge to drink. :D
  7. unique

unique Member

You are now at the first step of realizing what you are doing that is not what you would normally do on a regular day which is great. I would keep a log of when I decided to drink and right down what could possibly cause you to want to drink whiles it is fresh on your mind, that way you are able to make a more clear thought of the cause of what makes you want to drink. Its also good that you are not drinking to where you are uncontrollable but make sure you are fully aware to not get comfortable with drinking where you are consuming more alcohol but it seems like you are on the right track and if you think it is becoming more unbearable talk to a love one or call your doctor. Best of luck.
  8. johnny

johnny Member

Start with realizing that you are not your true self while you're abusing alcohol. Until you realize that you will never reach your full potential when you are dependent on a substance, than you can not face the uphill the uphill battle of treatment. It starts with you knowing what's right for your self and having the self respect to get it over with and move on.
  9. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Ask yourself why you started drinking. Was it stress you couldn't handle and you needed something to relax enough to sleep?

Once you find the reason you started, address that. Maybe you need to reduce your work load, lower your expectations or deal with a relationship issue.

It's also helpful to find an accountability partner, a friend who you can trust that you can share this struggle with and your desire to quit. They can help you stay motivated.
  10. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

If I was you I would do some self analysis. In my opinion it's important to take a good look at yourself and try to find out what brought you to your addiction to alcohol. There are plenty of ways to relax and take your mind off the stressful everyday life if you just ask yourself what makes you relax, what makes you happy, what makes you take your mind off. If you just started you shouldn't have too much trouble toning it down but then again it depends on the personality. Hope this helps.
  11. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

Take a step back and think if anything has changed recently in your life that is making you resort to this change. there is nothing wrong with an occasional drink when you need to relax but maybe there are other ways to relax as well such as a walk, the gym, meditation, etc. I hope this helps.
  12. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

Hi,
    Does alcoholism run in your family? it is natural to feel relaxed after drinking alcohol that is one of its side effects/ benefits. It is important not to get addicted to that feeling though, many people have the probability of becoming addicted if they have genes that run in their family of addiction. It is also important to find other things/safer things that give you the same relaxed feelings. Do you run? Do you exercise? Do you enjoy any hobbies? All these things can help you when it comes to feeling "relaxed".