An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Need help

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by godislove, Nov 6, 2015.

1. godislove

godislove Member

My son's a heroine addict who has been to too many rehabs to count and I was wondering if there are any facilities in Ohio that have places where they can't leave voluntarily that are long term even I'd he is a 25 year old? Is there anything I can do to make him stay
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@godislove.... Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're here and that you reached out to us. Because your son is an adult, I'm not sure that there is any place that will keep him against his will. I think the only way you could achieve that is to go to court and possibly prove that he is a danger to himself or others. But if you do that, then a treatment facility probably won't take him at all. It's definitely a tough situation. As the father of a son who was addicted to heroin for several years, and went to several rehabs before finally getting clean, I know what you're going through. Unfortunately, if the addict doesn't want to get clean, and isn't willing to work hard at it, you're very possibly spinning your wheels.

My best suggestion to you would be to check out the rehab facilities in Ohio at this link:

http://www.rehabs.com

And then maybe call some of them to explain your situation. Maybe someone can help.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope your son will find his way to recovery sooner rather than later. Please know that we are here to help and support you however we can. So don't hesitate to reach out if you need to. You can even send me a private message if you'd like.

We are here for you.

Peace and hugs.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Other than having him put on a psychiatric hold probably wouldn't help because he would be out again in within 2 or 3 days. I hate to say it, but maybe being arrested is the best thing that could happen to him. I guess he just hasn't hit "bottom" yet.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You have to make the decision on behalf of your son. It seems he's no longer capable of thinking for himself, so as the parent, don't wait for him to say "yes" or "no." If you want him to be better, then you should send him to rehab while spending more time with him too, showing your tireless support.
  5. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

I would say you really try and convince him that his life is worth more without heroin. When I was addicted to a few substances, realizing my life is much better off without them was key to getting over the addiction. Most of the times you will find yourself thinking or feeling as if you cannot live properly without the drug in your life, when in reality that is a very twisted way to think, you are MUCH better off without the substance than you think. We don't let cars drive us, we don't let dinner cook us, so why on earth should we let a drug control us?

If you think about it, him wanting to be independent and make his own choices is hypocritical, as the drug has long since taken control of his life and independence. Let that thought sit with him.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@godislove... How is your son doing? And how are you doing? Please check in when you get a chance and let us know. Thinking of you.