An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Need to make some changes

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Skyler, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Skyler

Skyler Member

Hi Everyone, I'm here looking for support from others that may also be struggling or succeeding in reducing or eliminating alcohol from the life. It’s not easy.

I have some health issues including severe chronic pain and I have used alcohol to self medicate for years. One of my recent medications says you are not supposed to drink. Believe you me I have fought tooth and nail to avoid taking this stuff for a long time so I can continue with my lifestyle choice of drinking. Not an option anymore. At this point I’m not looking to cut out alcohol completely but to drastically reduce my consumption as a first step. Like I said it’s not easy and even putting it out there like this sounds like I'm not embracing the change or willing to give it up. I guess that's why I'm here. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you. Thanks.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Skyler... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. We're glad you're here.

Drastically reducing your alcohol consumption is definitely a great first step. One of the best things you could do would probably be to set a specific goal--I'm only going to drink X amount this day/week/whatever--and work to achieve that. Since I have no idea how much you've been drinking, or for exactly how long, I can't really speak intelligently as to what kind of goal you should set for yourself. I guess only you can do that.

I also don't know if your ultimate goal is to quit drinking altogether, but if it is I think AA or SMART Recovery (12-step alternative) meetings would be a great thing for you to try. Being face-to-face with others who are going through similar experiences can be enlightening and educational. It can also help you feel like you're not alone.

We are here to help and support you any way we can. Maybe you could tell us a little bit more about your history of alcohol consumption so we can maybe get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Sending you positive vibes. You can do this, my friend.
    Skyler likes this.
  3. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Skyler, I am just along to welcome you to the forum and assure you that there are many here who will be able to offer you some practical suggestions going forward. I endorse everything Deanokat has said. I believe that first steps are important and I wish you well in those first steps and perhaps some time in the future you will have the desire to quit altogether.
    deanokat and Skyler like this.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Deciding to reduce your alcoholic consumption is a nice start. Continue to remind yourself of your goal and the good reasons why you should stick to it. Hope you can find more motivations in reaching that and much better than that.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

@Skyler Hey there! You're definitely in the right place and on the right track. You'll probably notice a lot of benefits from reducing your intake, especially health wise, both mentally and physically. @deanokat gave some really great advice there. Set yourself a limit, on that you think you can follow yourself. Don't be afraid to take small steps, because even small steps still make progress. Alcohol is a tricky thing. You might feel horrible even from reducing your intake, but I promise you, it gets a lot better, faster than you might expect.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the group. I am glad that you found out. By reducing your alcohol consumption and coming here you have made some huge steps forward. Looking forward to hearing more about your situation. We are here for you so talk to us often.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Skyler

Skyler Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement.
    My need and desire to make changes with my alcohol use are very private and personal for me. I don’t share much of my personal life with many people but I know that sharing and being honest about what I’m working through is an important part of the process for me. I am thankful to be part of this community.
    L_B and deanokat like this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Skyler ...Welcome to this forum! I always believe that we are the sole driver while we are travelling our life journey in this world. Everything we are thinking and planning to do with our life it is ourselves who wants it and we should not blame other people whatever happened in our life. And if ever we had traveled the wrong pathway of life always remember that the road is not rough all the time. There will be smooth road that we can travel along the way in our life. That is why don't lose hope if you are aspiring for a change in your life. Your honesty about yourself is already an achievement on your part and I admire you for that. All I can say is I wish you all the best of luck and continue what you had started and I know you can gonna make it!
    deanokat likes this.
  10. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Hi! I was in the same boat as you. I used alcohol for pain too. I used it to numb my feelings and to cover any pain I was feeling. Well, then I just inflicted more pain onto others for doing all of that. I am now recovering and using meditation to deal with my pain and to control the chaos.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

For some people, quitting cold turkey isn't possible, so at least you're doing the right thing in just initially cutting down the amount of alcohol intake so that you can get started. I hope you will be consistent and you won't look back and do the right thing!
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Although I'm only a social drinker, I have several relatives who went through what you're currently going through and are now living well-moderated lives. It's not easy to cut back the habit then and there so your approach, which is simply to reduce consumption, may just work. But you have to be forewarned: before you go through this, set realistic expectations. This method may take time. It's best to nurture patience and positive thinking. Ask friends and family members to keep you in check.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Skyler! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. You are definitely right. It is never going to be easy, but at least you are trying to find ways to make it work. And coming to this forum and asking help from others make you a really brave person. Anyway, I believe it is all about self-discipline. Try to practice and apply self-control in your drinking habits. Sometimes, it is all in the mind. Best of luck!
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Welcome aboard, @Skyler.

It's great that you are considering reducing the amount of alcohol you consume.

Your medications at least for now compel you to not touch alcohol whilst you take them. You can use the intervening period [when you don't use alcohol] to make the changes you want. When you are done taking the prescribed medication, keep it in mind that since you could do without alcohol for that long you can get by with drinking less alcohol . Use that as your anchor.

All the best!
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

We are so glad to have you here with us. It is always good to have a place to turn to where you can get support and encouragement by people who understand and really care. Sometimes it is easier to talk to strangers then it is to talk to family members and friends. I am a very private person too and few people know about what my life is like. I don't share easily so when I found this place and reached out I no longer felt alone in my journey!
    deanokat likes this.