An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Needle Exchange Programs?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by hoverman, Aug 14, 2015.

1. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Hi everyone!
    I just wanted to get your thoughts on Needle Exchange Programs - whether you feel it's a good idea or not, and personal thoughts. For those who are not aware, it's basically a harm-minimization social service that allows people injecting drugs to exchange needles for free, plus additional information/support/counselling associated with the exchange.

Proponents highlight the reduced rate of blood borne viruses like Hepatitis and HIV - and improved health of people struggling with addiction. Detractors illustrate that the program concentrates addicts in one location and state it increases crime - what does the community here think about the NEPs??
    missbishi likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The Needle Exchange Programs are good for the addicts. Those against it may think that it encourages the addicts to keep using the drugs but they fail to see the bigger picture. These addicts get counseling and this could be what they need for them to change. As for the increase in crimes I don't think that's a good enough excuse to deprive addicts of the help they need.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me any form of help for an addict can only be a good thing. Along with these programs, will also come a lot of help and advice for the addicts and sometimes it's schemes that are set up like this, that help people to finally come to terms with their addiction.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think they are a great idea for addicts. They in no way encourage drug use, they instead keep the addict safe from using needles that other people have used and passing on diseas. Addicts are going to use needles regardless so it is good that there is a program in effect that is looking out for them. I think it is a wonderful idea.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Fantastic idea. We've had NEPs here in the UK for over 30 years now and they've really helped to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS and other illnesses. Users are not only given syringes, they are provided with a secure, tamper-proof receptacle to place the used ones in. They then take this along on their next visit so it can be incinerated.

The best thing about these services is that they can often act as a referral point to other helpand services, including rehab and healthchecks.