An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Needle Hunt

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by JonMark, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

I'm thinking about the time that the mom of a former friend of mine called me and asked me for my help. She asked me because I owed her money for something I wasn't able to commit to a few years prior. It's complicated to say the least, but I felt I needed to help so I met her over at her daughter's apartment and we went inside.

Her daughter was somewhere else, the apartment was trashed, there was garbage everywhere. We had to go through and clean the entire place up. One thing that was really clear and so obvious, out in the open were the syringe needles all over the place. We had to be extra careful about where we walked or what we picked up. Obviously, who knew what dangers were present in the place. A few times, there were some pretty close calls.

But it was another learning experience for me to learn what heroin addicts are like. Where the slippery slope is. Obviously, this person was lost in the addiction and it felt good to help them somewhat.
  2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Wow how scary! I've known and seen heroin addicts,but I've never really been a close friend to one. I watch recovery and intervention shows and it trips me out how crazily things spiral out of control. I tell my self that they've got to notice at some point what is going on around them and that their lives are falling apart, but I guess addiction happens so fast they don't care anymore once it's got a grip on them.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's pretty disturbing. These things could really happen to heroin addicts or to anyone who's suffering from substance abuse. The only thing you can do is never give up on that person, and motivate her to become a new and better version of herself.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I'm sorry, but I've dealt with addiction and sometimes you have to just give up. When that person is stealing from you, abusive, influencing your children to do drugs and any other messed up stuff addicts do, you just need to get rid of them. You can't help some one who doesn't want to be helped and at some point instead of helping them you will be enabling their addiction. It's a real grimy thing. Not rainbows and butterflies, and stick by their side, and love heals everything dreamland. When you are in the middle of this persons battle with their own demons at no fault of your own, there's a time when you need to decide if your loved one will make it or if the demons have won. If you let them they will take you too.
    JonMark likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

One should be really careful cleaning such place since those syringe could be infected. Sad to know that it was someone you know who got addicted and in that situation. Better if they will seek help and/or do things to make their situation better.
  6. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

They already have. They moved away and from what I've seen via Facebook, they've sobered up by going into one of those inpatient programs. But one of the things I hate is that they're so needy with relationships that they date within their recovery circles all the time and she has a way of cheating that drives those guys crazy. That's another problem with her.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds like she really needs help not just for her addiction. But also for her multiple relationships that could make her inpatient programs failures an might make situation worse for her and for those she was involved with.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Good point. Everyone of us has their own limitations, and when it comes to worst situations such as that, it may be much better to just give up. Sad reality though.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  9. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I agree. It's sad, but oftentimes true. I have found that I always feel guilty when I give up on a friend, but then I realize that they didn't accept my help for months or years so I know I tried and they weren't willing to accept it so there's nothing more I can do for them. At some point, you have to let it go and take care of yourself.
    stariie likes this.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I would have been freaking out seeing all those needles. I'd have to have some heavy duty work gloves to feel safe about cleaning without getting stuck with a dirt needle. I have never been in a home like that, but I did go to a man's house which my husband knew. This guy didn't smoke, I had to use the bathroom. I turned on the light, cigarette lighters and cans everywhere.

I knew right off the bat this guy was a crack head. I knew he had a thing for pills. because he was busted for buying them, and there was a write up about it in the newspaper. It made me feel uneasy I was ready to leave that place.
  11. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Sometimes it's good to see what going down that road really looks like first hand. I believe that experience made you aware of how pathetic the human life can become when guided by a tainted mind. I am one to think that we need to bear witness to the reality so that we would be able to take a mental note and promise to ourselves never to degenerate to such deplorable states in our lives. It's very hard to go back once you've reached the stage of that former friend's mom you're referring to.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

That's a pretty surreal situation to be in. I've been to some shady places but fortunately not ones extreme enough to have needles lying around. I think it's because we are lucky enough that heroin isn't a big thing in our country. Still, I can't imagine being in that situation and not just rushing back out immediately, so props to you for sticking around.
  13. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I've been to places like that as well. When I was doing volunteer work for Meals on Wheels, we had a recipient who lived near an abandoned house which he also sometimes inspected. One time we inspected the house with him and found needles and crack pipes everywhere. The old house had been turned into a place to shoot up by a couple of vagrants.