An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Negative Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, May 13, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Lots of people who are trying to stay clean are always worrying about whether they'll be strong enough . . .

But because they think too much about relapsing, they eventually find themselves going back to abusing drugs because they allowed themselves to think that they are too weak to get over an addiction without a relapse.

Addicts should never entertain such negative thoughts. They should always look at the positive and make affirmations to that effect — "I will make it."

And that kind of thing.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.

Willie Nelson
    Sparkster and missbishi like this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's a very simple truth. Both negative and positive thoughts are self-fulfilling prophecies and a positive frame of mind is much more likely to lead to positive results. Approaching things in a negative manner will only fail eventually.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Grimp

Grimp Member

Yup, negative thoughts are alot of work to change, you really have to approach it like any task you have to complete that you dont want to do. For example, do you want to do the laundry? Hell no, no you dont, but you gotta do it or ur gonna smell really bad! So, thats an approach I take with negative thinking. Get involved, do things, help people, clean stuff, make your environment happier and more liveable and you will see improvements growing like flowers :)
    Rainman likes this.
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

That's actually a very ggood point.

It's the same with recovering from anything. For example, people who get X-rays or scans when they have a fracture or a problem that the doctor assure them will be gone soon etc, when they see it and see other small problems that are irrelevant, they take much longer to recovr than the patients with the same problems, same prognostics and same advice who did NOT see any scan and did not have this "fatalist" vision of their condition.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

When doing something new it can be a little scary especially when you've wanted it so much. So I could understand how a person might become afraid about going back to an addiction. It will start with the way that a person thinks and they will have to replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts constantly.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It is good to change your negative thought patterns with positive ones. You can do this by reading positive thinking or motivating books, surrounding yourself with positive people and watching positive videos.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Optimism is key. When practiced in moderation it can yield good results. Too much of anything is never healthy. That's why we should look positively at things one step at a time. Once we're past the first stage then we can focus our attention on the next stage. Positive thinking can go a long way.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It's very easy for the negative thoughts to take over, especially when sometimes your at you weakest point in your life.

The trick is not to let them control your life, it's acceptable to have them, everybody does, just don't let them affect the way your life is going.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's what I also believe in. If you think positively, there is a high probability that you would atttact positivity too.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I really don't think there's any use in thinking negative...as far as social interactions go, thinking positive is the key to not be alone at the very least.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Negative thoughts, or negative thinking patterns, are a sign of depression and when suffering them as a result of attempting to quit an addiction, they are also a form of self-doubt. Self-doubt is self-limiting. If you doubt yourself about being able to achieve something that's an indication that you already believe or assume that you will fail. Values and beliefs are everything. As mentioned above, negative (and positive) thoughts are self-affirmations; they are self-fulfilling prophecies. If you believe you will fail then you will fail, if you believe you will succeed then you will succeed.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

"Should" is always such a strong word. Not many addicts like to be told what they "should" be doing. It's hard to keep a positive outlook when you are in pain and feeling like you are dying. It takes a lot of strength and courage to examine one's negative thinking patterns. In the beginning it's not easy to change them from negative to positive. With practice it becomes possible. Many need to re-learn how to put all their feelings and emotions back into productive and creative thinking. And that might take a while.
  13. zplohr

zplohr Member

Life is 90% attitude and 10% what happens to you.
    pineywood likes this.
  14. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I agree, it is a struggle with changing the mindset to the glass is half full and not half empty. Staying focused on accomplishments vs failures is so important. The mind can certainly play games, if not careful. It also helps to surround yourself with positive people vs pessimistic people, when struggling! Although this is not always possible. We have interactions with so many people in the course of the day, one persons bad attitude can rub off you easily and take you down, if not careful.
  15. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

It is never easy to just change negative thoughts. Usually it takes a whole lot of time, company and positive events to led you into thinking positive. One key I guess is to appreciate the small things that they are doing to see that someone is being happy of them being good. Once that's been established, he'll start thinking positively.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Just don't be down on somebody legitimately venting for being negative. You do a lot of damage by telling somebody that needs to vent that they are just to negative. Sometimes people just need to be heard.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think Willie's statement is true but maybe a bit too paraphrased though. I don't think positive thinking will really do much if it's just believed on a surface level. One has to find something that will give them fulfillment and confidence to the point wherein they would not even consider negative thoughts with minimal effort.
  18. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’d say everyone has had some negative thoughts from time to time. The trick is not to let the negative thoughts become a pervasive pattern, and try your best to shift them to a more positive perspective. Personally I’m grateful I do have people in my life who are willing to listen when I need to vent, and they generally know how to gently steer me back into a less destructive, self-sabotaging way of thinking. I think this is essential to shifting toward a more positive mindset in general.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That saying you mention by Willie Nelson is similar to another quote I've heard - I'm not sure who it's by and I might be paraphrasing it a little wrong! But it's basically like "whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right". I like that saying because it really shows that mindset is such a huge thing. If you're telling yourself positive things then you're already ahead of the game, rather than putting yourself down or just repeating negative thoughts in your head.
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I like that saying/quote. Although it is hard not to think of the negatives especially on certain situation in life. Better to still try to look on the brighter side of the things. That could help us feel better and easier to move on or get over bad things.