An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Neighbor with marijuana issues

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by dkelly, Nov 19, 2015.

1. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

My neighbor has a son about 19. He is out of school and jobless. He spends all day in the house and when it’s evening he has friends over and you can smell the marijuana coming from over there. We are their closest neighbor so we are bothered the most. What’s worse is that the friends at least come over after they have left work. At least they work! Sometimes I wonder if he is dealing in marijuana but I don’t know what to do or if I should do anything.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Your last sentence: "...or if I should do anything." - The fact that you're even considering not doing anything is an indication that it doesn't bother you that much and that you can probably live with it. If that's the case, then I would suggest doing nothing. If you have other concerns, however, or think that the situation could have an adverse effect or cause problems for you in some way then I would suggest perhaps dropping a subtle hint next time you see your neighbor or perhaps have a discreet word with him. Failing that, if you are concerned about drug dealing and potential problems it could bring you may want to contact the police so they can keep an eye on the situation.
  3. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have the same problem with my autistic cousin who is 19 and out of high school and no job. I just found out that he had an interview, but I hope that he sticks with this job and doesn't get fired. I think you can talk to his parents and if that doesn't work then call the authorities if there are younger kids involved.
  4. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

If my neighbor had the same situation going on, I would be tempted to contact the authorities. There is so much other stuff and dangers that comes along with drug dealing that I would simply not care to have around me or my family. Your family's safety should be able to come before another person's drug use.
  5. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I would suggest that you try speaking with the young man first, and do so in a nice, calm way so that he does not get offended or agitated. If the calm, and rational way does not work, the I do suggest you get the authorities involved, specially if you have children. Good luck.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You could consider talking to your neighbor but I'm certain that they'll think of it as meddling in affairs that don't concern you. If recreational marijuana is illegal in your State then you need to inform the authorities. Eventually they might move on from marijuana to other drugs and when it gets to that, it often is accompanied with some unpleasant stuff . . . burglaries, etc., etc.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that if it's illegal in your place, report it to the authorities. If it is legal and you are in good terms to your neighbors (the parents), you can try talking about it to them and tell them your concerns. Most probably they will not take it negatively and they will find the truth or the real situation by themselves.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If I were you, I would also be bothered. I suggest before contacting the authorities, try to speak to his parents first. Tell them you're worried about what's happening in your neighborhood due to their son's nightly marijuana session. They might listen to your concern, and encourage their son to stop smoking pot, and start doing something good about his life.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

My advice is to go round there and be as friendly as possible. Tell them that you can smell the weed from a mile off and that they should really do something about it as you would hate for them to get into any trouble. That should sort it : )
  10. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think there are some other factors that you should consider when you think about whether you contact the authorities or not. Are their other children in the home? If there is I myself would be inclined to call.
    Do you have a good relationship with your neighbors? I would speak with them first if you do, you don't want to make enemies unless you absolutely have too.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well, all it takes for "evil" to triumph is for good men to do nothing. If you suspect something's fishy and since you both live in the same neighborhood, you have every right to report him to the authorities. You can't turn a blind eye. It's also for that neighbor and his family's benefit that you're doing this, anyway.
  12. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

I don't think you have to get yourself involved in this. The very best you could do is have a conversation with them and try your level best to talk things through with them. If that doesn't help, there's nothing else that could be done. Don't worry too much about it.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Talk it out.
    Let the kid know that you can smell it and that you don't like, it's causing you discomfort.
    Be diplomatic but don't be a pushover.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

He could be doing work on-line. Kids are pretty good with that. I mean it is something that has been trending considerably since the late 90's. Not sure its really anyone's business. Its your neighbor not your son. Next time you see him or the parents ask them if they know any ways to make extra money on-line. Its not good to jump to conclusions which is easy to do.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

It seems that you are unable to talk to him because of his current habit. Never hate him because of the smell that usually disturbs you. Go buy him a joint and he will know that you are supportive. The idea is, that is the only way you can get close to him. If you will then have a chance to talk to him, that will be the right time to talk about the negative side of drugs. Try and be polite whenever you talk about drugs with him.
  16. juno

juno Community Champion

It's tough when they are neighbors because it isn't really any of your business and you can't really complain about the air you breathe. I would be vigilant about keeping an eye out for any other strange activities that could be reportable as this kind of behavior can lead to more problems.
  17. minderbender

minderbender Member

If the smell bothers you a great deal, then speak with your neighbor. I would caution you about getting this young man in trouble with the authorities. Other than the smell, I cannot see how his recreational use of marijuana would be affecting you. This fellow should probably take to vaporizing and or move to a state where it is legal if he is going to partake.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

I really don't think there's much you can do. It's a case of "Boys will be boys." I know, because when I was younger, my neighbors tried to do the same thing. Talking to me, giving me advice and such. It didn't work. The only thing it made me do was to try and find a way to keep the smell from getting to them. So, I closed all my windows, bought sprays, incense, the works. That did the trick.
  19. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

It doesn't matter whether those allegedly-called "friends" have a job. What matters in this specific context, is that they are a bad influence over the guy and if you were to look in the guy's future, in case he doesn't realize what he's doing is an utmost token of counterproductiveness, it wouldn't be bright.

Anyway, there's not much you can do except report the nuisance to the police. Although I wouldn't advise you to do so... it will only further affect the kid!
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Don't do anything, it's not your business and if you step in there is a big chance you might get in trouble with that kid and his friends. If they are not bothering you in any other way, then leave it be. Plus, the smell of marijuana is not that bad... imagine living in Amsterdam where most streets in the center stink of Marijuana and only god knows what other weird fumes can be smelled there... nothing can be worse that living in that area.

This is just my two cents of course, you decide what to do in the end... but it's never a good idea to bother the neighbors, specially if you and them are not just renting your respective houses.