An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Here....Any Help

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Wordsmith75, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

Hi there everybody,
    My name is KJ and I am an alcoholic. My sobriety date is 8/28/15. This is definitely not my first attempt at recovery. I'm have tried traditional 12 step work and I am looking for alternatives. I really look forward to hearing from you all and am definitely open minded to any and all suggestions.

I can't wait to get to know some of you and I hope that this is the network of support that I need on my road to recovery.

Peace, Love and Sobriety.
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

You might want to look up SMART recovery. It's a non-12 step recovery group. There is quite a bit about it online and even some online chat meetings. I've looked them up because the 12 step approach never seemed to work for me. Even though I'm religious, there was so much focus on God/higher power it was overwhelming for me.
    Congratulations on your sobriety! You can do this!!!!
  3. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

The thing that really motivated me to get drinking under control is that I really began to pay attention to how I was acting and feeling when I was drinking. I am not sure if this is common or not, but my experience is that I began to realize that when I had been drinking, I began to feel worse instead of better. By worse, I mean I felt grumpy and like I did not want to be around people which was the opposite of how it always used to make me feel. Once I realized that it was causing me to feel this way, alcohol began to be less desirable for me in general and then I kept wanting it less and less. I know this is not really a "program", but maybe it will help you. The other part of the equation for me is to do a daily devotional every morning and make sure I am doing my best to realize the lord's plan for my life. This just makes me want to be a better person in general and drinking doesn't allow me to do that.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Wordsmith75! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. :)

Well, I am really happy to know that you are now considering getting help from other people. And congratulations on your sobriety! Kudos to you for a job well done. Just try to stay focused on your goals and don't go to social events that would trigger you to go back to your old ways. Best of luck! :)
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hi! First of all, congrats on your progress! Next, I have some suggestions for your problem. You can try individual counseling. If you do not feel comfortable in a group, this is a great program for you. Some churches or organizations provide free individual counseling pr you can have a board certified counselor but there will be a fee.

And you know even online forums like this can also help in your situation. There are some facebook groups too that aims to help people recovering from an addiction. You just have to be careful and mindful of people you meet online. Although, anonymity can be a huge help for many addiction sufferers.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Congratulations on taking the steps towards your sobriety. This is a great group with lots of caring and supportive people who offer some great advice. There are many people here who are or who have been where you are. You can do this! I look forward to hearing more of your story and to support your accomplishments along the way.
  7. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Welcome! People have already offered lots of great ideas in these comments but I thought I would add my own suggestion. It might help to keep a journal with your thoughts/feelings relating to drinking. It can be helpful to get those thoughts out there, as well as to look back on when you next have cravings. It is good to reflect on past behavior without the rose-tinted glasses that addiction can give us.
  8. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Welcome wordsmith, I am also a recovering alcoholic and addict. AA works for me as long as i work the program. Sorry it didnt work for you. You shouldnt give up on the program. Maybe it just wasnt your time yet. Ant way Im not going to browbeat you about AA. Im glad you are sober. God Bless!
    Winterybella likes this.
  9. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

Hi Wordsmith, good to have you here! Every attempt at recovery is a step in the right direction. I had no luck myself with AA because of the God and higher power parts. I've been an atheist since I was 8 and it really turned me off. Have you done the list of pros and cons of drinking, and pros and cons of drinking? My doctor had me do it, and I found it helpful to see it all written out like that. The pros of drinking were pretty minimal.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

My sobriety came from salvation through Jesus Christ. He saved me and changed my heart. When I surrendered my life to him.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @Wordsmith75... How are you doing? If you get a chance, check in with us and let us know.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there OP, I'd first like to congratulate you for making such a great choice by joining us here :) I'm sure you will find a great support network over here, I know a lot people over here who would be more than willing to take part in something like that. You just need to look around here and ask, staying sober is never easy, at least not for most folks out there, but don't worry, over here most of us have experience with this kind of thing.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Wordsmith75... Keeping good thoughts for you. Hope you are well.