An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Here

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by martinearletara, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Hi,

I'm Sam and I came across this site while doing some late night browsing. I'm happy to be here and even more excited to tell my story. Well.. actually more relieved to tell my story.

Here I go..

In the past few years, I've had close friends die from drug overdoses and horrific accidents with drug use involved. Others have been in and out of rehab. The rest just seem to disappear as if they're too embarrassed of themselves.

As for me.. I always considered myself stronger than most since I wasn't easily swayed into complete and total dependency. But when I look back at it... I was completely dependent on getting high any way I could..

On a good week, it would be weed, alcohol, Xanax or Lora tabs.. maybe some LSD and shrooms.. possibly coke if I could afford it or bum it off of someone. You know... the cool stuff.

But when things got tough... boy did they ever. I used to make this dope runs for my neighbors to get them heroine and keep $20 for myself and snort less than half a gram to hold me over for a few days. Then I started skipping town messing with these hood rats and smoking crack because it was the thing to do.

There's so much more I can talk about but damnit I'd be typing til dawn. To make a long story short... I went into rehab once I started to realize my life was turning into ****. I met a good woman once I got out... we married and had a baby girl recently.

I'm just hear to listen. Tell my story. Help people out. I feel like... hell it's the least I can do because I've honestly wasted away my 20's and life is too short for all that. I'm here to help the cause, not hurt it.
    Momma9, bhu, Jani_pikki and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hello @martinearletara and welcome to the community. Glad to have you aboard. Thanks for sharing your story with us. And thank you for joining. This community absolutely need people like you who are willing to help and support those who are struggling with their addictions. I hope to hear more from you. :)
  3. Fyrion

Fyrion Active Contributor

Hey. Welcome to the community, man. Your story will be a valuable addition for all those that went through similar circumstances and right now are working on their withdrawal. There are some people here that also tried every high stuff out there, realized their own misery and felt like their life was over. But also looked for help afterwards.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Hello @martinearletara welcome and great to have you here as an inspiration to many. You are so blessed to have a clean life now with a good family. It is always good news to receive people like you into the community. Your contributions will be highly appreciated.
  5. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Hello! First of all, let me thank you for sharing your story with us, we will try to do our best to help you out, hopefully you can find some help and advice here, welcome and enjoy your stay!
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@martinearletara... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get your life turned around. I'm also glad that you're here to help others. That's totally badass. I'm sure your story will inspire people and that your insights and experiences will be incredibly valuable. Welcome again, and I hope to see you around the various discussions here. :)
  7. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

@martinearletara Hello and welcome to the forums! You're in the right place. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on straightening out your life. Also on your marriage and child. It's awesome when we can catch ourselves and turn our lives around successfully, then feel the call to help others do the same. You can't go wrong helping by sharing your story and being available to share experience, strength and hope. I hope your life continues to evolve in a positive light. I look forward to reading your posts.
  8. Thanks for the warm welcome! Man.. when I look back at my introduction.. it got kinda hairy towards the end with the crack stuff. But that's what exactly what it is... man there are some things I can't even tell my wife everything that went down and when I do.. she won't believe me.. she thinks I'm joking because I don't seem like the type of guy.

Today, if you met me... you'd never be able to tell what type of life I used to live... the time I spent in jail.. getting out and sleeping in apartment laundry mats... not being able to drive a car for over 6 years.. jobless and homeless. Meeting chicks that invite me into their house and robbing them blind by the next morning... headed to score. It's crazy...

I'm a bit more tamed now since my first post because I was up kinda late and kinda sleepy. But nonetheless... thank you all for such a warm welcome.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there! Glad you decided to join us and tell us your story, that is the fist and biggest step ever. The next one would be to think about your action plan, if you need help with that... you can always ask us for help. We are just an online support group, but I can assure you that we can offer the kind of support you might not always find on a face to face support group... from the safety of your home.

I'm not saying you should consider a support like NA, I'm just saying you can count on both of us :) We are a nice group of people with experience with addiction, some lived it first hand others because of a loved one. We don't judge anyone, if you need to vent or just talk, well we are just a click away :)
  10. @Tremmie Thank you so much for the support and I definitely understand where you're coming from. If anything I'll take advantage of both forms of support since I'm able too. I have no problem treating this forum as a safe haven since that's exactly what it is. And in return I'll help others in the process.
  11. integrity101

integrity101 Active Contributor

Welcome Sam and congrats for turning your life around. I'm glad for you for finding this awesome community of caring people. I personally wish you and your family all the best in life.
  12. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Sam, congrats indeed as it's not easy to change like that like most of us know. I hope to be seeing you around here. ;)