An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Study find coke stops you from seeing others emotions

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by JonnyMacdonald, Aug 30, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

missbishi likes this.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Interesting reading indeed, because we can see coke addicts feeling themselves kings of the night while people around is simply hating them.

But the lack of awareness about others emotions certainly explains why they keep in that sociable mood the drug leads into.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That is so true from my experience. It's really a 'me-me-me' drug in every sense, including when addiction takes hold. That's a good question at the end for a follow-up study too; does use have the same effect once the drug has worn off. My initial feeling is that it wouldn't have a permanent effect but it is hard to know with prolonged and intensive use.
    missbishi likes this.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is interesting that this occurs as in movies like the Scarface one we see the main person get so addicted that the choices they make are not good, and also lead them to doing crazy things which can ruin their lives in the process. I reckon that people may not be aware of what the side effects are and also don't think of what can happen to them, if they are not going to stop the consumption of what happens to them. It is interesting to see what happens to a person's mood as it can cause the person to change and not feel what others think of them, which can upset the other people.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That could be true. It would explain a lot but that is not to have it as an excuse. I think we shouldn't be deceived easily by many "new studies" because often scientific researches based on percentages contradict each other, but I will say no matter what there is hope.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

This is a really interesting read. Thank you for sharing!

I've always been interested on how drugs work, how they change the way your brain behaves, and how they make one think and act. I've never experienced such drugs or met anyone who did, but I am fascinated by how far science could go.
  7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

This doesnt surprise me at all. I've seen the way drugs like cocaine effect people. They really take away your ability to reason and think clearly. Thats not even in question. People on cocaine are typically obnoxious and self centered.
  8. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

When you live any kind of high-risk lifestyle, I think that it's easy to become numb to many things that you experience in everyday life. It sort of makes it seem like your life is a movie, which I think can make it easier to distance yourself from regular experiences and emotions.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think in fact I know, cocaine makes you paranoid. Not only can you not interpret other people's emotions you also think they are out to do your harm. It is a serious drug indeed and not something to play thing. It has a repuatation as a "party drug" some party...!
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Looks like the next step is looking into what effects it has in this capacity once its worn off. The researchers were actually thinking that it might make you perceive more negative emotions then are really there.
    missbishi likes this.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is so true. Looking back, I must have been the most arrogant beeyatch going. The researchers are also spot on about the comedowns - these were the worst thing ever and I'd end up using again, just to get that confident feeling back. It's a nasty, vicious circle and this article is a great dose of reinforcement.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, it's not only with coke-heads, it's annoying to be around anybody who's doing any type of drug. But the king of annoying people are the drunks. Someone high on weed is very tolerable. Someone high on coke is not that ad if the person hasn't snorted too much, but drunks take the cake. I should know because I've been and met all three categories.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Addiction is a very selfish thing. I suppose that being said while one drug may be more demanding then the other on a person ego, and sense of importance.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is very interesting to know. I just thought that they act that way because they do become braver or shameless. First time to read that when someone is high, they cannot see or recognize other emotions.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

We are social creatures. It is important that we feel our emotions and know what is going on inside. Sadly I know some people that are very annoying with the drug.
  16. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

As a long time user, I think it's partially that you don't notice other people's emotions and also partially that you just don't care how anyone else feels. It's one of those drugs that makes you focus on just yourself, and that was what drew me in to it. I'd get high and for the little while that it lasted, I didn't think or care about how anyone else felt about the things I was doing/saying. At the same time, it's one of those drugs that unless the people around you are also doing it, they definitely don't want to be around you while you are.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This comes as no surprise to me, I've often read that many illegal substances, particularly uppers, can cause a person's behaviour to become more narcissistic. They become more self-absorbed in their own little world and less aware of the things going on around them. This is something which definitely also applies with heroin.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's totally true. This is also the same case with alcohol. When you're drunk, you just couldn't think straight. You are somehow oblivious to everything that's happening around you.
  19. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Interesting. I've known some people who really were very annoying on coke and other drugs. I guess those are the ones who used it too much. But I've interestingly known some people who, when I told them this, told me they had used some cokes once or twice in my company and I never mentioned they would be different and seemed to like them. Which, twisted perception could be the case from their point of view, but I'm usually rather blunt when I think someone is annoying (if they are close to me that is) and I could not really place an occasion when they would have been this kind of annoying. So, I don't know.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that's the same with most substances, not just cocaine. When your high or drunk or whatever you want to call it your only concerned about yourself and your own actions and emotions and others dint really matter.