An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New year, new start.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by angel_lou, Dec 24, 2014.

1. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Ive had problems with drugs for a good few years now. Having cleaned up once for 4 yrs then relapsing about 5 year ago now. I am going to make a new start in the new year, got to do it for my kids. Ive just turned 39 andI dont want to hit 40 using drugs. The first thing i'm going to do is get stable on my methadone prescription, been messing about with it a bit lately. Once ive done that, thats half the battle won for me. I know I can do it as ive done it before. Some people hate to sit on ethadone, but as long as im not using on top, Im quite happy to stay on it and take my time to wean off. I feel a determination inside me that I haven't felt for a very long time. I'm going to make this coming year about getting clean and healthy so I can turn 40 next december and feel half ok about it. Anyone else going to make the new year a new start, and really mean it this time?
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great post, angel_lou! I'm right there with you and feeling inspired by the new year, and using it as an opportunity to make some great changes in my life! I turn 42 this year and can totally identify with the 40 year mark. I got sober at 36 but when I turned 40 I still wasn't feeling good in my own recovery or about myself. I had stopped consuming but wasn't thinking or acting like a sober person. That's when I made a conscious decision to take over my life and stop allowing drinks and substances to control me anymore. It takes a ton of work as you know having such a long time clean. But it's so worth it, and you've got a wonderful motivation in your children! I commend you for having such an awesome attitude and the courage to share your goals with us. You're entering into a new chapter of awareness and you're truly an inspiration to others with your hope and optimism. I love to see that in people! Keep riding that determination and reach out for support whenever you need it. Be well and happy this holiday season. And Happy and Healthy New Year!
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Glad you, angel_lou, are attempting your best to rejuvenate your life for the better by stopping your pill addiction, which I personally know a few people in my life that have or had similar addiction.

I like to remind or advise people that addiction is a result of habituation to a thing or something, and can be overcome not through sheer will and positive thinking only, but continual affirmations to believe you can live without your addiction and take action to stay away from any activity, environment, and people who are addicts. I for one have gotten rid of many things that had caused me so much addiction problems, but it never simply ends overnight, it's a grinding journey and experience one must face with honesty and conviction to be healthy in mind first, and body secondly. Also, one can start the journey of help whenever one wishes to do so, it does not have to be a certain rationalized preplanned day or night, it will happen when one fully accepts their addiction has no benefit to their existence.

Stay safe angel_lou and others, and Merry Christmas.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

One of my new year's resolution is to cut down on my binge drinking and hopefully scale down on my drinking permanently.I have a strong desire to start off on a high note so that includes no partying wildly to usher in the new year.I know that with the correct mindset,i can do it and you as well.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well that is really good. Turning 40 soon can do that to you. Children are a really great "why should I" do this. You always have to find the why and you can do anything. Yes I am going to make a new start and I started it the last couple of days. Buckling down on my work. I am a freelancer a long time. My main work has always been salaried. I am beginning, well I began some new work a month or so ago, and I am going full on for myself. This is a good thing because we are always making everyone else rich.
  6. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I think a new start is great, no matter how you see the perfect time/way for that to be. For me, it's a new planner/calendar in front of me. New year, new start is good too though. That feeling of determination is nice, isn't it? For my new years celebration, I'm going to dump my stash of extra pills. If I take them as I should and not how I WANT to take them, I have excess. I've been piling up the excess and I think knowing it's there strengthens the call. So my new plan is at the end of the month when I pick up my new Rx, I'll dump the previous month's leftovers down the toilet or something.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Good luck I wish you all the best. Trust in yourself you are greater then you know. The power is yours believe that and make it a great year, and a great rest of your life.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've been trying to make some slight improvements in my lifestyle and behavior year by year because doing it drastically didn't do it for me as I usually just ended up reverting back to my old ways almost immediately. I find this is a much better method for me but I do agree tap hat the new year has a nice calm tone to it that helps the process of renewal along.
  9. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

That's great, the fact that you have noticed the effects and is dedicated to making a positive change is awesome. Things can only get better for you, becoming drug free or even semi-drug free for the new year is a great move. You will not only extend your life by a few years, but also improve the quality of your life. I am very sure your kids and other family members will be proud of you.
  10. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

The first step is making a conscience effort to change. You sound like you are on the right track now. You will have some trials along the way but I am sure if you get in a good support group you will be okay. turning 40 and going sober is hard, but not impossible. Do whatever you can to break out of past molds. Following old habits is not good, you need to try to find new ways of being. Good Luck I will pray for you.
  11. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

It's never too late for a new start. I hope it all works out for you. Keep trying, keep moving forward, and don't let anything get in your way. You can do it, you have the strength to make it happen!
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is good to know that you are really determined to be better next year especially for your kids. Right that the new year is a great year to have a new start. Your goal is really great and hope you can stick to that. :)
  13. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Your kids should be a huge impetus for you to stop. Hopefully you can draw strength from them. A new year and new beginning. While I am not addicted to any substances I would like to be less susceptible to depression in the new year.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I feel like I speak on behalf of everyone who is involved with this website to say that we are all proud of you for deciding to become clean. You have recognized your goals and seem to be staunchly determined to achieve them. If you ever have any difficulties along the way, keep posting here, and think about your kids and their future. I wish the best for you. If you ever need good words or prayer, please come back to the forum.
    RoseK likes this.
  15. angel_lou

Thankyou so much for your kind words. It's like one day i've got a determination to get clean, and the next i'm thinking, why am I bothering and shall I just resign myself to being a junkie. Lord knows where I would be if I didnt have children because no matter how hard it gets or how down I feel, I have a reason to put a brave face on and grit my teeth and get on with it. Its nice to know that in a moment of weakness, theres somewhere I can go just for a chat and a word of reassurance. Sometimes just a little bit of support and to have someone tell you how good you're doing really can make a huge difference. Its like I can't wait for the new year to come to really put my plan into action, that makes it sound like im using the time inbetween now and then to still use, but I think you need a date, a goal, to work towards.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

You are doing a fine thing for yourself and your family. I wish you well and pray that your determination will bring you to the place you want to be.

From all the postings I have seen here, it is clear that you have a community rooting for you. Continue to share your story. It could help in changing the lives of others.
  17. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Good luck to you. You sound like you have a plan, and having a plan is a good thing.
    I think of every day as a new start, a chance to do a little bit better than I did yesterday. I have learned from my past experiences that sometimes I won't necessarily stick to a New Year's resolution, but that is okay. Every day is a new day. Every hour is a new hour, for that matter:).
  18. angel_lou

Another day nearer to my 'New start' I'll probably be writting daily from 01/01/15, i'm going to need the support! I'm thinking of ways to distract myself should an urge arise, and I think this site is going to be very helpful for me. I'm so glad everyone's so nice. Unfortunately I dont have any outside support really, I cant talk to friends or family about nothing like this so if i'm having a bad day at least I can log in here and have a vent. Hope you can all put up with me!
  19. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Best of luck to you! You sound really determined, and that is usually half the battle. Anything is possible if you believe that you can do it. Do it for you kids, but most importantly of all, do it for yourself.
  20. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Vent any time. Hopefully, you can find a good support group since you don't have a family/friends support network. Maybe even an online support group... or like you said, vent here. I wish you all the best. I hope the new year is a healthy, happy one for you and your family. God bless.