An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many addicts decide at the start of the new year that they are going to be different. They will try harder to overcome an addiction or stay sober. They'll quit drinking, smoking, etc cold turkey.

That though is nothing more than self-deception. Nothing changes overnight. If you had cravings last year then just because we are in a different year doesn't alter the fact that your body will still want the substance that you've been abusing.

The only way to go about conquering an addiction is making a firm decision not to do drugs again, now. Procrastination doesn't help. New year resolutions don't help. The action you take NOW is what counts.

For all who'll be fighting their addictions this year, I wish you all the best.
  2. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I definitely agree that nothing changes overnight. However, the New Year's is as good as any time to attempt to recover. A few months ago, I finally started calorie counting and exercising in order to control my weight. The entire time, I'm thinking "Why didn't I do this sooner?" However, I am reminded of the proverb, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." If the New Years gives you the motivation to start quitting, then definitely go for it. The thing is to keep the motivation going. The future you will thank the present you for doing so.
  3. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Truth is, it is hard to change just on your own. You will definitely need a team to deal with addiction. If you have lots of people involved in your wellness and your fight against, then that would make things so much easier and the burden would be light. Cheers to you as well this 2015! Stay sober my friend. :)
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I don't care for New Year Resolutions, it's one of the most self-defeating things people believe in. Every day and night should be directed at resolving one's problems with drugs, because an addiction isn't confined to a set time to be solved, it must be faced head on every moment of your life until it no longer becomes a problem!

Resolutions [means "to unloose or untie; morally lax] are for people who wish to reset themselves from their problems, but that's like starting back from square one and trying to redo your whole plan once more - this is self-defeating only. I imply the idea instead to pick up where you left off and continue what you've got to do and whatever it takes, to stop your drug addiction!
  5. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I think the problem with new years resolutions is that at the first slip-up, people feel they've failed so they might as well go back to their old habits for the rest of the year and try again next year to get it right. That's as true for weight loss and diets as for addictions. The outlook is just not helpful.

It's great to stay starting today, I'm going to do X. X may go well for a few days. If there's one mistake, you can start over, right after. No need to wait. The rest of the day will be better. Tomorrow will continue the streak. It's okay. Many of us are addicted to self medicate some sort of hurting. Being kind to ourselves is the best thing we can do as we try to claw our way free of the addiction.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The New Years resolutions. Generally mine are something I decide at any time of the year but as soon as I decide. It begins. I watch people start the new year with a resolution that they don't stick to for long. They start it again the next year, and drop it soon after. 30 days and continued determination.
  7. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

It is true that nothing changes overnight, but sometimes wanting to change is a big step in the right direction. Personally, I would congratulate someone for admitting that they have a problem because that's a HUGE step in the right direction. Even if you have your doubts, it's important to support someone who wants to quite substance abuse. Chances are you're not the only one with doubts, but you could be the only one to really be by their side.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think milestone dates like birthdays and New Years give us the illusion of change but honestly after a while those days and the feelings that come with it eventually fade, so the best thing is to make firm decisions regardless of the occasion. That way you know you are starting somewhere with a better foundation other than just the type of day you decided to make a change.
  9. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I do think New Years can be a good time to get started on a recovery program. This time of year brings a lot of support and encouragement for those making changes. Having that kind of positive energy and inspiration all around can really be the catalyst to get on board with recovery and help someone get into a group that can then continue to provide support over the year even when the glow of New Years has worn off.