An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Years No Smoking Resolutions

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kassie1234, Dec 30, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Is anyone planning on quitting as a New Years resolution? I quit a few years ago now, but I know a lot of people look at this time of year as a fresh start.

What strategies do you have in place to make it work? Are you going cold turkey or trying patches or some other technique? Stay accountable and let us know how you're doing here!
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't get why people wait until the start of the new year to finally get off their butts and do it. Imagine if someone who plans on quitting next year would've already started 2 weeks ago. They would be so far ahead in the process, it would make things easier.
    JonnyMacdonald and kassie1234 like this.
  3. kassie1234

I hear you, I think a lot of people just do it for that fresh start feeling. It's a mental thing in a lot of cases, and I guess a random date in December doesn't have the same magnitude as starting on the first day of the year. I think it can also be easier for people as a 'tracking' thing and for encouragement - being able to say they've been cigarette free since the start of the year can be a motivator!
  4. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I never could have done this because I'd be out partying on New Year's Eve and I'm supposed to quit smoking at midnight? Just wouldn't have worked for me but I know a lot of people can do it. Any day is a great day to quit smoking though! Best of luck to all the resolutioners, no matter what addiction they are trying to quit!
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've quit smoking cigarettes along time ago. One thing that helps is detoxing with herbal tea. They have some really good detox teas out there. I think if you can get nicotine out of your blood stream that will help a lot. If you make a resolution to quit just stick to it and you can do it.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have quit smoking cigarettes a long time ago. I wasn't really addicted to it so I just stopped cold turkey and I did not even crave for it.
  7. kassie1234

Well done! I haven't tried specific detox teas but I do find normal tea to be very soothing and relaxing - the entire act of brewing a cup just makes me feel calm!
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For anyone who wants to quit smoking starting today, January 1, I think quitting cold turkey is the best way to get it done. Sure it won't be easy to and it won't work for most people but you can't know if something works or doesn't unless you try it, right?
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I quit last New Years and did very well with it for a while...about 6 weeks then i gradually slipped back. However, I smoke cigars and not every day...so I am still smoking quite a bit less than I did. I go days without smoking.. My eventual goal is to be a non smoker...and I think I will get there.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have a resolution regarding to this, but isn't for myself, but for my fiance! I hope he can quirt smoking this year, because he has been smoking for almost 12 freaking years and to me that is more than enough! So hopefully he can finally do it this year, no idea how, but I guess I will give Allen Carr's method a try.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  11. kassie1234

That's wonderful that you're going to encourage him and make a resolution of yours to help him overcome smoking! I think support from loved ones is a massive thing, so I'm sure it will make it easier for him knowing that he has your support!
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I say that picking a specific day like New Years to quit that you just wake up one morning and make the decision not to light up. Many new years resolutions get broken anyway. The first couple of days of quitting will be extremely difficult and you have to get the will power in your mind and heart to do it.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Honestly, I don't think that people who make New Year's resolutions will actually accomplish them. You do not need to wait for a certain day or date to come to do something. The change should come by itself, and you should do it when you are ready. But I know that this can motivate some people and if that works for them, it's good.
  14. Tremmie

Thanks, I hope it helps him. I had been thinking about e-cigarettes, but after reading about that incident in which one of those devices exploded on the face of the poor guy who was using it made me doubt it. But we will see, he lacks a lot willpower :(
  15. kassie1234

Oh yes, I'm in two minds about those e-cigarettes. I just don't know that there's enough research done on them and their impact just yet. Some studies have been saying that they are even more dangerous than traditional cigarettes but it's hard to say exactly...since they are such new technology.
  16. Tremmie

I'm not so sure either, the fact they can actually explode made me really worried, you know! I'd not be able to live with myself if something like that happened to him, those devices need to be handled with care. This has happened several times already, and one of those poor guys will not be able to walk as a result.
  17. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well, I think that like most others I have it on my list every year, and it seems like with each year there is less enthusiasm and thus less of a chance that anything positive will come from it. I wish I could just start all over and use my first time as a New Years resolution now so I could actually use it as some real motivation, but of course we cannot go back in time, because then we would all slap ourselves for starting in the first place.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried smoking cigarettes before, and I don't have any plans of doing it in the near future. To anyone who wants to quit their tobacco addiction, just always stay focused on your goal, and keep yourself motivated. I believe you can do it. I would be rooting for your success. :)
  19. henry

henry Community Champion

New Years resolutions never work for me. I start the year very excited planning to do a lot of things, but It's all forgotten by the time we're two months into the year, and I just go back to my old ways.
  20. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My husband said he was going to stop smoking in the New Year but so far that never happened. He still says it every day but he doesn't have a plan in effect and plus he drinks a lot. The more he drinks, the more he smokes. It s vicious cycle. He has been smoking for many, many years and has never once tried to quit before. He really hope that he does some day. He will feel so much better if he did.