An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Years Parties

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For many recovering addicts they can't avoid New Years parties because they are everywhere and they'll be a lot of drinking. While the better option would be to avoid attending parties if you know there's going to be a lot of alcohol available it might be hard to resist the desire to have some fun. Should you then don't try to push yourself beyond your [tolerance] limits. When cravings assail you and you are certain you can't fight them any longer don't stay around. Leave.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree. If you think you cannot handle the pressure of your peers, or the temptation of alcohol, just politely say no, and ask to be excused. I don't think they are going to hold it against you since you are a recovering addict. They will likely understand.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

My church is putting on a dry NYE party, really excited to go we are having a vintage theme and I have this awesome 3 piece suit.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I'm already listening to people talking about which bars they're going to hit, or what champagne they're going to by. Alcohol isn't my particular vice but I do have deep compassion for those who are seeking sobriety and are confronted with a MASSIVE culture of drinking. I hope everyone can find a solution for themselves that DOESN'T involve self-isolation, however.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think it depends on the person. There are people who can resist peer pressure while there are others who will drink if everyone does it. There are sober NYE parties as well, if a person really wants to go to a party. I would much rather spend quality time with my friends and family in a compact environment.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Honestly, it might sound boring but I'm usually in bed by 10pm on New Years Eve (well, I have been for the past several years!)

I just think its so much nicer waking up on New Years Day feeling good, energetic, not dealing with a hangover, and ready to start the year on a good foot!
  7. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Yea the way to best avoid it is the lame answer and that is to not really celebrate it.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

There are numerous ways to celebrate without involving drugs and alcohol. Being social and involving yourself in holiday traditions may require restraint and difficult choices about who to spend the time with, but celebrating can be an important part of recovery as well.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is advisable that we should avoid drinking parties if we want to stay on the better side. Most accidents have been related to drunken drivers. If you go out to drink with your friends, then the person driving must not drink. If you have to drink then consider buying a drink and get back home to take it while at home.
  10. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I agree, the people you spend your time with is extremely important!
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is important that the people around you in such parties are aware that you are in a recovery process or trying to be sober. So that they could support you by reminding you whenever you are tempted and also they will not offer or force you to drink.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's so true, I think recovering addicts should be open with other people about the fact that they are recovering alcoholics so that no one will urge them to drink. If ever someone will offer them a drink then they should always say no.
  13. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I was in a friendly warm environment this new years and nobody pushed me or asked me to drink, even though I decided to allow myself a couple of drinks. I think it all went well, your acquaintances and your environment is key always.
  14. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think it is important to make sure you are in a safe environment on New Year where you can have a few drinks with great company. I am usually with my family and we don't go out. That way you avoid drunken drivers and all the violence that often comes with partying at this time of the year. No drinking and driving either. I would not want to ever wake up with a hangover, so I am very relaxed and conservative. Good company is the key.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

New Years is a tough one because you want to celebrate the new year like everyone else, but there is a lot of drinking involved. One thing you can do is find a group of sober friends and have a movie night or do something safe in which there is no drinking involved. Stay away from group gatherings where liquor is served.