An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nicotine free cigarettes

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Katt, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Katt

Katt Member

Have you ever tried nicotine free cigarettes? You can buy them at the pharmacy and they are made of herbs and supposedly they will help you stop smoking. I have only tried one kind and the taste was terrible. Their effect as well: they only made me crave for a normal cigarette even more.
    Should I give them another try or is it just money out the window?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

They might not contain nicotine, but they're often quite dangerous even though they're called herbal cigarettes. You're still inhaling harmful smoke and toxins by smoking them. Plus, you're right that they don't necessarily taste that great, and far too many people smoke them thinking that they're harmless. Studies have shown that that's not the case at all here.
  3. Katt

Katt Member

So why do they still sell them at drugstores? Shouldn't they be banned? They advertise them on the main counter like strawberries in winter. Their are quite expensive as well. It never ceases to amaze me how financial gain primes pretty much everywhere.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I tried these before and they were rubbish. I'm sure some people appreciate them but it just never resonated with me. I'd much rather vape these days instead, seeing as it's available now. Years ago it was the only other option to smoking regular cigarettes but now that there is vaping I'd much rather just go with that instead.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've also tried a couple of these and i have to say i don't rate them very highly either. i'm sure as a tool to stop smoking theres plenty other products out there can can be equally, if not even more effective than these.
    Like the above posts have said, all they made me do was crave for a real cigarette. I'm not saying theyre not a good idea, just not for me.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I can't see that working at all. I can see low-nicotine cigarettes having a positive effect for some people, but nicotine free cigarettes wouldn't do a thing. One time when I was trying to quit i rolled up a cigarette out of sage. While it didn't taste awful, it just made my cravings even worse.

Triggers are the nicotine-starved brain's worst enemy. There is no bigger trigger than lighting up a cigarette, am I right?
  7. Katt

Katt Member

Absolutely right. There is this commercial on TV (they promote some wonder mouth spray that is supposed to help you stop smoking) and they show people in 3 different situations craving for a smoke: at their morning coffee, after dinner and in traffic. It drives me crazy and I change the channel instantly, as it makes you crave to light like 3 or 4 cigarettes. This is just another example of how these companies try to get into your mind and take advantage of an addict. Does anyone have any ethics these days?
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think sometimes things like this only end up making you crave more. It's why I'd much rather just moderate myself in indulgence rather than settle with poor substitutes, but it's only what best works for me. I'm sure some people found these to be helpful, even if I'm guessing the numbers couldn't possibly be that high.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

My husband smokes but not too much and I am really looking for ways how he can quit smoking. He promised me this year 2015 he will gradually quit but it is still a long process. That is why when I read this thread about nicotine free cigarettes I am thinking if I will let my husband try this one. But I don't know if this will interest him. Thanks for sharing.
  10. Katt

Katt Member

It's better not to pressure him about it and allow him to convice himself it is in his best interest to quit. I went through a similar experience with my boyfriend. He tried to forbid me to smoke and I hated him for it. I didn't want to quit and his attitude only made it worse. Sorry, I didn't mean to be judgemental, but smoking is just like any other addiction. We need our loved ones to be supportive, not act like law enforcement (I am saying this because of your phrasing ' I will let my husband').
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I also found this. Nicotine-free cigarettes really do have an awful taste and smell to them. They also don't seem to relieve the craving. As mentioned above, they still also contain harmful substances which are dangerous to inhale (such as tar, for example). Still, they may also be able to help you quit the addiction whilst satisfying the habit side of things.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is actually my first time to learn about this nicotine free cigarette. I also doubt it if this product is available here since I have not heard of it. I also think that those kind of cigarettes could still contain some harmful substances.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have never heard of these before. Interesting concept. I get that there is no nicotine in them, but you are still inhaling smoke, which is bad. I think if you want to quit, you should try gum or patches because part of the habit is the act of smoking.
  14. Katt

Katt Member

I wore a patch once..and smoked like a chimney. Have you guys ever tried hookah?It is quite popular in my country, though we call it 'narghilea', so I don't know if there is any difference between the hookah and the narghile. The words seem to be synonyms. Maybe there are Arabian members here who could tell us.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've tried those herbal cigarettes before and found they tasted disgusting! I've been using an electronic cigarette since January and am doing really well with it. Obviously, I haven't dealt with my nicotine addiction, other than lowering the strength of the nicotine in the cig, but I'm saving so much money and feel a lot healthier.
    Katt likes this.
  16. Katt

Katt Member

All in all, it seems that nobody can give any positive feedback on these herbal cigarettes. I have decided to give vaping a try as well. What kind of flavor do you use?
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

@Katt I use a menthol tobacco flavor. The plain tobacco ones weren't that nice but the fruity flavors didn't really give me that "smoking sensation" I was looking for. Menthol seems to be a good compromise.

There are many vape shops which will let you try before you buy, so don't be afraid to ask for a sample - after all, they want you as a customer so are happy to do this!
  18. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I say you may be wasting money and should try electronic cigarettes instead. Smoking without nicotine is still bad for your health and the e-cig may be the best option for people looking to quit smoking all together. Maybe you can try marijuana instead of tobacco has it is not as toxic as tobacco.
  19. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

These cigarettes are still harmful to your body because you are still inhaling the smoke produced by them. Although they may not contain nicotine, they still produce toxins which are harmful to your body.

There are many other alternatives to smoking, such as patches, an electronic Cigarette and inhalers which are all readily available. Even those three examples are much better than smoking a even a herbal cigarette!
  20. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I was wondering what they would taste like, I would think they would use a nicotine free cigarette but somehow give it a nicotine flavor without having nicotine in it, those are just my thoughts.