An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nicotine Gum - Working For Me

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by melody, Feb 3, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

I tried a lot of things to quit smoking. Nothing worked. I am lucky, most people do not give me a hard time about smoking, but society does make us feel ashamed of it. I tried the patch, and got a rash. The vape? I coughed until I felt sick. Finally I tried the gum. I thought it would be awful, but if you follow the directions works well, for me it does. Have you any opinions of nicotine gum?
    kassie1234 and deanokat like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Nicotine gum never worked for me. The only way I could quit smoking was cold turkey. But I'm happy you're having success with it, @melody. Whatever works! Stick with it and good luck! Quitting smoking is one of the best things I ever did for myself! :)
    melody likes this.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I guess if it works you should stick to it. Different things probably work for different people. I think it sounds like a better choice. The only thing that really caught my attention was the side effects that were mentioned about over doing it. Like I said if it's working and isn't causing any problems why stop.
  4. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

I've never had nicotine gum, but I'll definitely recommend it to a friend who'll be quitting this year. Here's hoping it helps her, too. I'm worried because there aren't a lot of options available in my country - I'm not even sure we have the nicotine patches here. I don't know if she'll be able to quit cold turkey. Her dad is a smoker as well, and he couldn't give it up even after suffering from a smoke. She said it made him a bear, and really hard to live with.
  5. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

How long has it been since you have stopped smoking? Usually you don't hear too many people who manage to quit using nicotine gum, I have heard of no one personally, but if it works for you, way to go! It's more of a mental thing than anything and as long as the gum stops your triggers it's great.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's awesome that you're having success with it! I never tried gum, I just slowly weaned myself off smoking. Thankfully I was only a smoker for a couple of years so I guess it was easier to quit than it is for others who have been smoking for much longer timeframes.
  7. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

If you want to stop smoking, you need to be prepared mentally. You have 2 options: stop at all or you can go slowly. In my opinion stopping smoking at all it's the best option, because you're body will star to react to the addiction and the you'll just have to go trough it.
  8. melody

melody Active Contributor

Not very long, honestly. I am just going to keep moving forward with it, though. I figure each day I do not smoke is a day my body gets a break. If I go long enough, then my body can heal. Not fully, because there is still the nicotine, but at least it is a step in the right direction. I do like to be special though, maybe I will be the first!
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Congrats! My fiance must start trying to stop smoking soon, we might give nicotine gum a try, because vaping sounds kind of dangerous (a lot news on e-cig devices exploding on people's faces). So I think we will give everything a try and see what works for us. Keep up the great work :)
  10. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

With a bit of research I found out that the only e-cig devices that exploded are "non-electronic metal tube APVs with two batteries" so I am sure that you can find an e-cig for your fiancee with only one battery which will be safe for her use. Just remember not to cheap out on the battery, as it is one of the most important things and you'd rather stay safe than be sorry.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Whatever works for you is the right thing for you. Congrats for taking action and for not falling for the idea that nothing works. Use it and stick to it if it helps you to stop smoking, nothing wrong with chewing gum.
  12. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've never tried nicotine gum, the vape or any other substitutes to get rid of the habit. What worked for me is going cold turkey and I guess, whatever works for us, we should stick to it. I'm glad that after trying so many times, you have found something that will work for you. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that eventually you will kick nicotine out of your system.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks a lot for that bit of info! So there hasn't been reports involving single battery devices? I might really consider giving this a try if nothing else works, my fiance has been smoking for nearly 12 years now... too long! Thanks a lot for sharing this info again :)
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

What ever works, just as long as you quit smoking. I have tried the nicotine gum but it didn't work well for me. I think because I was using it when I couldn't smoke instead of using to quit smoking.
  15. Oguh

Oguh Member

It's one of the thing I tried but really it didn't do it for me. I ended up going the route of the electronic cigarette and that has worked even since. But now I am trying to give THAT up :/.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I tried it many years ago and it was quite effective. Not because it was providing me with nicotine though. I found the taste of it absolutely horrendous but if you tried to light up a cigarette after chewing the gum, the cigarette would taste even worse and would make me cough and feel sick.
  17. Joethefirst

Most nicotine gum now days doesn't have that vile taste that it did in the past. They even come in different flavors.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well good going! It's a shot to the moon for some people. My officemate tried smoking e-cig in lieu of real cigarettes but somehow it didn't last long and he ended up going back to smoking cigar. He's managed to cut back the frequency, though, and chew nicotine gum once in a while.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  19. Joethefirst

Yeah that's pretty much what I started to do, instead of making me stop smoking. I would chew the gum when I couldn't smoke.
  20. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

Just be careful, chewing too much gum might cause stomach problems. But only if you chew too much (if you used to smoke allot, it's likely). Good luck getting smoke free!