New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms .....Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by MichelleVL, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi! I'm in the process of trying to quit smoking cigarettes, and in a way I'm scared to leave them completely. I'm not even sure about all the reasons yet. I've managed to bring down my consumption considerably, but I still can't go 24 hours without smoking. I used to smoke 20-40 cigarettes a day. It all depended on how bad my day was. Now it's between 8-10 a day. Now I can go between 12-16 hours, but that's about it. I guess I feel fear because I don't know what to expect. It's like they're a part of me already. What am I going to do with myself when I'm not smoking anymore? I'm scared of what I'm going to feel. I'm scared of the withdrawal symptoms I guess.

Has anyone here been able to quit cigarette smoking? How did you feel when you quit? What were your withdrawal symptoms and how did you deal with them, or tamper them down. Also how long did your withdrawal symptoms last?

I appreciate all of your advice. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

I smoked for about ten years and quit just two years ago and have been clean to this day. I also used to go through about thirty a day and wouldn't last 5 hours without lighting one up. Yes, it defined who I was and it took up time I wouldn't know how else to use.

The way I dealt with smoking was that first, I found I smoked more when around my friends who smoked as well and they respected my request to not smoke around me because just seeing a cigarette in someone's mouth triggers me. Even to this day. Then, I made sure I was busy with something else. I got into playing flag football for my neighborhood and immediately felt the sorry state of my lungs when I trained so that was even more incentive for me to smoke less.

As for withdrawal symptoms, my irritation was less noticeable because it would be let out during training or I'd be too tired to even get angry. I'd also get really sick and suffer flu or cold-like symptoms which I absolutely hated (I'm asthmatic as well) and my appetite went up.

It's good you've been able to have some control over smoking.
  3. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Hey! @MichelleVL how are things going? This reminds me so much of when I first tried to quit. My bigest question was, what am I going to do instead of smoking? I had no clue how nonsmokers went through their day, what to do with your free time, what to do at the bus stop? Every free time in my life was smoking time. Now I realize how much time was I wasting just for smoking, also the thinking that takes place when you're outside smoking used to make me a little bit depressed.

It's been a while since you posted this, I would like to know how did it go, and what you been doing instead of smoking. Or at leas know you're still trying because thats all that matters, right now I'm quitting. I have relapce many times but still trying.
  4. kaiserflame

kaiserflame Member

Not to mention you run out of change almost all the time if you go out buying cigarettes. All those small purchases pile up if you do the math.

I too would like to know how it went for you. I've got a few buddies who are also trying to get clean but are struggling despite my advice.
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

It is interesting that positive things in life have a cost attached to them. But on the other side negative things have a loss attached to them. The former are harder to implement while the latter are easy and invariably herald destruction. You should start your struggle against smoking on this premise. You have much more to fear from cancer, strokes and other debilitating conditions from smoking than withdrawal symptoms.
    True concern likes this.
  6. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

You'd want to try and address the two components of the addiction:
    Association and Effects.

The association part is the action of smoking is a signal to your brain that this is good.
    The effects part is to nicotine giving you the good feeling.

The effects can be replaced with a patch but you want to re-associate something to replace the action.

Something that has helped some people is when they apply a patch, they have boiled sweet to suck on.
    As the patch is working, they have another boiled sweet during the day to take place of the smoking action.

In time, the boiled sweet action is replacing the smoking action.
    You cut down on the dosage of patch but still keep up with the boiled sweets.

Your brain associates the sweets with the receiving of nicotine.

It doesn't need to be boiled sweets, just something that gives you an action that lasts a while (just popping a skittle won't work as it's too quick).

Hope this helps
  7. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

The way I quit smoking was through vaping. Not only did it help relieve my nicotine cravings but it has also helped me regain my health.
  8. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Kept your hands busy and you did the familar smoking action. Fufills a few association requirements the brain is expecting (and of course the nicotine craving)