An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nicotine..WTH

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Joshstillclean, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

So, for a long time now I have been using patches because I used to dip.
    Gross habit, I know but it is what it is. I honestly don't remember when I quit dipping. But it was the day that I started wearing nicotine patches. I have never smoked (cigarettes) because my grandpa died a very long slow torturous death from emphysema. Then lung cancer. Basically he suffocated to death over nearly 7 years.

Now that I'm really trying to walk away from everything addictive I realized that I was having cravings for these patches. Honestly I don't know how long I've been on them. Way to long.
    So yesterday I went and got some nicotine gum and wow I wanted to pull my hair out.
    I could not sleep at all last night.
    I get no feeling whatsoever from nicotine. But I have not had a dip in well before I came on this site.
    I realized the price had gone up on the patches and decided ok not gonna buy anymore of those. Last night I regretted that.
    I wanted a dip so bad and I haven't had one in so long I don't even know what the can looks like now.
    But my body has not forgotten the nicotine.
    Here's the thing my only withdrawal symptom is I get pis×ed. Like really mad. For no reason at all. This is a symptom I didn't even experience with heroin, not this quick tempered feeling anyway. So, I guess I have a severe nicotine addiction and I'm ashamed to admit it. Bit there it is its out in the open and I feel really bad because I thought nothing of these patches.
    But I'm hooked on 21 mg patches I wear them 24/7.
    I tried 4 mg gum and wanted to fight somebody just because.
    I'm really bothered by this. I thought it would be no big deal considering what all I've quit.
    I'm really depressed about this.
    Help...
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Step down to 14 mg patches it's the next lower dose .... Taper like any other substance my friend,I'm on 14mg patches getting ready to drop to 7mg in two weeks
  3. Joshstillclean

Ok. Is anger normal...?
    And this gum is crap!
    True concern likes this.
  4. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Awesome glad your trying to quit Nicotine is crazy addictive. I used to smoke 2 packs a day.
    Mostly just carried them around lit I think lol
    I started vaping about 5 years ago and have been decreasing mine as well. Started on 24mg I'm on 3mg now can make a 10 dollar bottle last a week now alot better than I was heh.
  5. True concern

Ya man very short temper is what nicotine withdrawal does
  6. Onceaddicted77

Definitely get some aggression or irritability sometimes.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  7. Onceaddicted77

Yup
  8. True concern

Ya the gum aint gonna help
    Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  9. Onceaddicted77

I'll be making a cut on my saw and it chips my tile or something been known to slam it on the ground mad lol and I'm usually pretty calm it just comes out of no where.

The tile not my saw hehe
  10. True concern

You have my temperment lol,becareful mine use to boil over before these new meds lol
  11. Joshstillclean

Ok I'll just eat the price and follow the instructions in the box.
    I had no clue something I got no pleasure from would have this kind of effect on me. I gotta get on top of this.
    Patches are not cheap.
    Ueah, I've got three pieces of gum in my mouth now and I'm wondering if I need to chew it to smitherines!
  12. Onceaddicted77

Hah yea I usally gotta go take a break and pull some rips off my vape to get some nicotine lol
  13. Onceaddicted77

Yea I knew this guy he would chew the **** out of those would have a few going lol
  14. True concern

Here where I live they are like 50 bucks a box....not cheap at all
  15. Joshstillclean

Ok I'm for sure gonna quit while I am thinking 27 dollars is a lot. Wow 50$!
  16. True concern

49.97$ plus tax
  17. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I take Wellbutrin as part of my cabinet full of meds for depression but it's also used to prevent craving nicotine. It works really well. I smoke heavily - a pipe, but I inhale, so it's pretty bad. I've gone a few days without smoking a couple times and I had no craving. It's almost like forgetting to smoke today. Now I'm not trying to quit and my Wellbutrin is for a different thing entirely. But if I chose to quit I know I can do it with the Wellbutrin. Also, there is no tolerance problem where it stops working when you've taken it for a long time.
    True concern likes this.
  18. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I actually started smoking a while back when I was on the verge of suicide. I thought, OK I'll show them, I'll start smoking, get cancer and die.
  19. Joshstillclean

dang thats sad man. i hate to hear that.
    thanks for the advice on the wellbutrin. i had heard that from someone else also but you cant take wellbutrin if you have epilepsy. oh well...
    cheffy likes this.
  20. True concern

Me to,150mg 24 hours time release but they want me at 300mg 24 hours release but it causes anxiety at that dose and I'm already a calm guy with a short fuse so anxiety I can't handle,it makes me make instant dumb decisions to get rid of it lol,"The Life Of A Recovering Addict"
    cheffy likes this.