An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nicotine..WTH

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Joshstillclean, Aug 13, 2019.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

We are pretty fond of you @cheffy I prefer you stick around a while:)
    Joshstillclean and cheffy like this.
  2. True concern

So I'm rebelling, I don't like the news from yesterday so I blacked out my photo:confused:.It saddens me to know the news of yesterday and I think the site has made a huge error in judgement and it's a grave mistake as far as I'm concerned
    Joshstillclean, Dominica and cheffy like this.
  3. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

From the outside in, what a beautiful thing, the feeling, just knowing that someone cares, someone's looking out for me. From the inside out, it doesn't matter if I agree, disagree, be quiet, be loud, be crazy, be sane, laugh or cry, I can always be part of this whole thing without needing to worry about what anybody thinks or says about me or anyone else. I've said it before and I'll say it again -thanks you guys, you make all the difference-
  4. cheffy

What happened yesterday?
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

sending you good vibes for quitting the patches... quitting smoking was so hard for me many years ago.... that's why i can never light up again, not even one puff.

i dipped when i was young and crazy... hahahahahha. i liked it too, but well, girls didn't 'do that... lol
  6. True concern

No disrespect my friend but it's not my place to say I was just expressing my disapproval. I'm sure someone will tell you it just can't be me because it was a private message thing and I would break no ones trust,not even yours:)
    Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  7. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Thank you.. Its being more difficult than I thought, but staying busy is helping.
    Lol-your not the first girl I've heard say she dipped. Ironically I stopped because of a girl-mostly. But I think nicotine is nicotine no matter how you get it in you,cause dang I want a dip!

But I've been through worse...
    True concern likes this.
  8. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Joshstillclean i hear you. quitting smoking was HAAAAARD. but i will say once i did...finally... it got easier and i didn't think about it much. then never... and it's been over 20 years... so, there's a nicotine monster inside you and he's pissed.... he wants nicotine. bad. but every minute you say "hell to the no" .... he is getting smaller. weaker. more pathetic. but he will do his best to get his fix... so you let that little sucker know who is boss, ok?

dipping or smoking, all nicotine.

and true, you have already overcome so much. ............... <3
  9. Joshstillclean

I will do just that.
    That post resonated with me. I will not forget what you just said.
    Onceaddicted77 and True concern like this.
  10. True concern

So you doing this patch free?
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  11. Joshstillclean

No. Is be crazy. Just the gum kept me up all night.
    I'm doing 21 mg patches...only one at a time per the instructions. Then ill buy 14 is the next one I saw. I did see some 2 mg in between patches but I'm following the nicorrete instructions.
    So 21 mgs on the arm or chest 1 week then 2nd week only durring the day, 3rd week step down to 14 mg patches for 2 months. Go from there...
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  12. Joshstillclean

Does that sound ok? I've really got no clue here. But apparently I've been absorbing about 2 packs a day worth of nicotine. Don't really know how that equates to dipping..
  13. True concern

Dipping is harder to quit and puts more nicotine in your system than smoking,that being said in my opinion the jump 7 at a time seems the most effective.. Start 21 then 14 then 7 then if necessary you can do the 2 mg patches, basically exactly how Robert detoxed off of Fentanyl
  14. Joshstillclean

That puts it in terms I understand...sadly. But much thanks.
    True concern likes this.
  15. Joshstillclean

I'm gonna keep my journey with the nicotine thing updated. I'm gonna keep it here because its part of my story and nobody ever posts on the nicotine forum.
    Update...when I quit dipping it took 2 21 mg patches one on each side of my chest to not have cravings. That's been a long time ago.
    So I tried the gum,and epic fail. Yesterday I got another better brand(hopefully) of 21 mg patches and am wearing only one. Last night I had bad dreams and wasn't even sleepy. Today was better. I did crave a dip all day so I had an idea...I got two pieces of gum (4mg each) and tucked one after I chewed it till it tingles in my lip.
    Just like I would a dip. (I was dipping 4 cans in 3 days I'm not sure how that equates to cigs).
    Anyway this reminded me of having a dip and it was amazing the extra help I got from this. So yes one patch every 24 hours and I made both pieces of gum last all day.
    Before the ' gum like a dip' idea I really was so edgy I was sweaty and could not focus on work. I almost decided to just wait till another time to try and quit and start dipping again.
    But I didn't. And now -cause I'm going to bed- no gum, only a fresh patch right before bed. I'm following the instructions except for the extra gum durring the day but hey its still a step forward.
    I have not come across anyone admitting to a dipping addiction turned to patch addiction on here. Not in 2 years nearly. So if your having this same problem mabey this idea can help you. With a patch and a tingly piece of nic gum it really feels like dipping and took my cravings away to where I didn't think about it for several hours today.
    I really thought having beaten oxycontin and heroin and cocaine and well you name it minus meth that this would not be a struggle.
    But patches especially 2 at once around the clock are not easy to quit.
    Strange thing is I got huge pleasure rewards for all those drugs I mentioned that I have quit. I get ZERO high or pleasure from nicotine.
    So I don't know why it is so hard to stop. I have not studied how nicotine effects the brain but I'm going to bed and I sure will tomorrow. Because this is hard. I thought when people said it was hard it was because they never quit anything that was actually hard. Until I tried.
    I have been using nicotine for 16 years now. Almost 17. But I'm gonna starve this beast to death and keep you posted on how I do it.
    Onceaddicted77 and True concern like this.
  16. Joshstillclean

Hey fellow nicotine quitters...
    Update. So by going on the instructions on the box I have found that the nicoderm brand patches are by far the best.
    However that is if you want an even flow of nicotine throughout the day(24 he period).
    Now I know patches are expensive, so I have done a test on several brands and can tell everyone (unless I just react different or got a bad batch) there are deffinate differences in how 24 he patches actually work throughout that time frame.
    Stay away from CVS and Rite-Aid as they just seem to feel very very week.
    Equate is the cheapest and although it seems to give a massive nicotine dump for about the first hour and then not so strong after that the Equate brand, for the price is 27 dollars cheaper and almost as strong as nicoderm at the 12 hour mark. So far I'm going with it.
    Now I haven't been going by the instructions ever until now. And it hasn't been enough days for me to get around to the Walgreens but i will try it day after tomorrow. However I am only doing this for this experiment because they are not much less than nicoderm.
    I know this is a lot to spend on patches but I WILL quit. And I know me I can't do it without an aid and patches are the way I chose to go.
    And hopefully it will help someone else.
    I wish I could find this online but since I couldn't I decided to test myself.
    And lozenges suck!
    Ill update soon. So far though one patch in a 24 hr period with 2 pieces of gum during that time is working.
    True concern and cheffy like this.
  17. Joshstillclean

Ok so from my experiment with patches I can now say that Equate is by far the cheapest and its what I'm going with. It does give a small dump of nicotine (which it says it doesn't do) that actually helps me in the morning time. Also its still going pretty strong by bedtime. However at around 18 hours its pretty much dead.
    I did try Walgreens. And for the price and effect might as well spen a few extra bucks and stick with nicoderm.
    The first patch I pulled put of the pack was torn.
    I don't know of any minor brands other than these four I have tried and if you spend the $40.97 (wal-mart-that's what they cost here) you can have quality nicoderm and they stick well and don't wear out or get weak.
    Equate is $23.87 for the same thing. No they don't have the strength at the 24hr mark name brands do but hey, look at the price. And I kinda found that dump when you first put it on very helpful. Especially in the morning.

I have been supplementing with gum also. However I have spent way too much on patches for this experiment so I'm not gonna try any other brands than wal-mart brand-equate.
    I really tried to find a comparison of patches when I decided to stop and ONLY did this to hopefully be able to save someone else some time and money if they decide to read this...and they have the same effects
    cheffy likes this.
  18. cheffy

Just an idea to make the patches last - can you wear one for an hour and remove it for maybe a half hour and keep repeating this? Or is it really noticeable if you take one off?
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  19. Joshstillclean

The issue there is just that they don't stick to your skin if you remove them.

Some of the cheaper-well none are dheap, but not as quality ones don't even stick when you sweat a lot. And I live in the southeast. Heat index has been over a hundred for a few days here now and I'm mostly working outside.
    But its a good idea. I have taped them on before but that was getting pretty insane.
    cheffy likes this.
  20. cheffy

Not sure what I was thinking - reuse like that would be the same as just getting one with a lower dose - Duh! Though it might last a little longer. BTW, you sound pretty serious about doing this, and I think that's really cool! I need to start thinking about doing the same. I'm getting down to the bottom of my 5 lb bag that I always order. But I'm just not sure if the time to quit is right for me because I'm making some adjustments to my Seroquel dosing. Maybe I'll just get 1lb this time with the idea that I'll quit when it's gone. Maybe... Maybe... Maybe!