An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nightmares and cold sweat

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by amethyst, Apr 22, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

During the first year of my recovery from alcohol, I used to get terrible nightmares and often woke up in cold sweat, not knowing where I was. At times it seemed to me like I was leaving my body while I was asleep and visiting places far away from this reality. Those places weren't always welcoming and filled with light. No, at times I felt like I was in hell. But hell in my perception was stagnation. I was stuck in barren, dead places, unable to move. I was frozen in some kind of endless grey desert. Often, I had the feeling that I was awake, but unable to wake up my body.
    It took me quite a long time to find my inner balance again, where I didn't feel so much out of control anymore.
    How about you? Did you experience nightmares or any unusual psychic phenomena during your recovery?
  2. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

We all have our own experiences, especially in early recovery.... I definitely had my fair share of waking up in cold sweats and interesting dreams and nightmares. Some very vivid as you described, and seemed very real when I woke up. Not so much on the psychic side of things, but very introspective. Getting balance back in my life took time as well and is always a juggling act between managing the physical, mental emotional, and spiritual side of things. The more I instill a schedule and try and keep to it the better.
  3. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Yes, I have the exact same symptoms when I'm taking a break from weed. I would sleep and get sweaty and have extremely vivid dreams...sometimes they would be nightmares but they were more just regular dreams with exact details. Like usually I wouldn't remember everything that happens in a dream. I would only remember like a minute of my dream...But I remembered like a whole hour of my dreams a few nights. Like I could've written a movie of some of my dreams. LOL
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I never had dreams or anything subconscious like that - for me, it was more an active, anxious feeling. Constant thoughts of "how am I going to get through this without drinking?" were thoughts that plagued my mind. I feel like drinking had become my coping mechanism for anything seen as remotely difficult in life - so I felt alone and scared initially without it. It took time for those feelings to gradually subside.
    Christian likes this.
  5. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I feel so sorry for you, and symphatise wholly. I'm so proud you stuck by it to achieve your goal
  6. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Definitely can relate here. Coupled with the added bonus of mercurial sleeping habits the anxiety of going through the uncomfortability of detox as well as early sobriety was torturous. The only solace that I could get or manage to rely on was that this was temporary and would pass as long as I stayed the course and didn't drink or use.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I have never taken drugs or been an alcoholic so there's no recovery stage for me to go through. My uncle was a substance abuser, though. From what he told us, his road to recovery was pretty uneventful. He simply followed the advice given to him and stopped using (I guess he was that simple-minded). There were no nightmares although it took some time for him to get used to a quiet life.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the nightmares and the not sleeping is pretty common with alcohol as a lot of people use it as a drug to make them sleep so when you stop drinking, obviously it's going to become an issue.
  9. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Cold sweat is a common symptom of anxiety related illnesses. It if often mistaken for heart ailment symptoms. I used to have unpleasant but obscure and vague dreams, which disturbed my sleep. The quality of my sleep was not good though not totally compromised. We all face these symptoms and when actually facing them it is good to practice deep breathing and drinking lots of water as they give immediate relief.
  10. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I don't know what causes cold swears, eventually it's what you say Bonzer, anxiety of simply our system got messed up for life, intoxicated and that is the way it has to clean itself.
  11. Sarah15

Sarah15 Member

I regularly experience the feeling of being awake, but unable to move - it scares me sometimes. I also have really weird dreams and nightmares, and often wake up in a cold sweat. I generally suffer with fevers and chills even on nights when I don't have nightmares. I think its quite common.
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m anxiety-prone and I would definitely say I have more nightmares and sometimes cold sweats when I’m in a state of high anxiety, especially when I’m trying to bottle it up. This was actually something I figured out during a recent crisis, and it was what told me I had to stop bottling things up and do something to change my situation. I still have the occasional nightmare or horrible wake-up, but they’re starting to subside.
  13. sunflogun

Being anxious and nervous messes up with our whole nervous system, but to have nightmares and cold sweats is a step further and indicates something more serious. We do what we want with our body and mind, but from a certain point on the body/mind do collapse.
  14. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Recovery is different for everyone and there are sweats, nightmares and aches and pains in the body. A good way to get yourself out of the nightmares and sweats is to focus on exercise of any kind, even if it is just a small walk down the road, it keeps your mind active, creates happy hormones and you will feel a whole lot better.
  15. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I'm not an addict in recovery so I don't personally know however I had a family member who was and the nightmares and sweats seems to be pretty normal. He had nightmares every night for months!
  16. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I can understand why you have had that. I haven't been necessarily addicted to alcohol but to something else and I can relate to it. I know that it could be caused by anxiety or fear, but considering alcohol is physical it's no wonder your body would begin to sweat because of the pressure and feeling the need for it.
  17. sunflogun

Did you have the same symptoms kyler? When we are sick the body sweats a lot to put out all the toxins, the same with exercise, so eventually we are dreaming with one of these situations?
  18. tammy cooper

tammy cooper Member

I have been clean and sober for almost two months now and I too have nightmares
  19. sunflogun

That's not something that goes away easy or fast. I've been reading about nightmares and they speak about some gateway that is opened to hell? Well, maybe I was reading in the wrong place.
  20. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

A few other after effects; back and side pains that are excruciating, sore gums and teeth, headaches, mood swings, feeling tired and yes the sweats. All in all after you have suffered for a bout 3 months the worst is over, you then have to deal with the shakes which can sometimes be embarrassing but it is worth it in the end as after about 6 months you start to feel so alive that you forget about the bottle!!