An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Nightmares

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by pineywood, May 11, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Today, I posted a little bit about my daughter's experience with drugs. Now that the road to recovery has reached the five month mark and all legal issues resolved, the rawness of the situation subsides slowly. I have been so busy supporting my child through this journey, I tend to put my emotions aside (for the most part). Last night, I had the worst nightmare. I wonder, if others have dealt with similar nightmares? Quite frankly, it scares me a little to go to sleep tonight.
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think it's common when dealing with a drawn out crisis that has or had the potential to be permanently life altering or worse. Nightmares can simply be the subconscious brain processing pieces of reality and imagination and fears all jumbled together.
    pineywood likes this.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Nightmares reflect your fear to having your children falling again into drugs and feeling unable to do anything for her.

Yes, you have to be strong by her side and show her off the way to go, but give yourself a chance to release all those contained emotions in your heart, responsible for your nightmares.

Whenever she's not around and you feel like crying, doi it! You don't need to wait until something wrong happens to cry because many times tears roll down out of happiness seeing the light to recovery.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Don't forget to take time to love yourself and God. I am blessed with many people who have helped me tough my difficulties including my parents. But sometimes people are so busy helping they forget that they need to take time to help themselves. I don't know much about how to help your nightmares, but perhaps add that question to God during your nightly prayers.
    What I am really trying to get at is you say you are busy helping and you put your emotions aside. But unfortunately we are all people and we all need some help, you can't just give and give you have to receive. Maybe you should reach out to your community or friends to see if they can help and provide support to you to help you put your mind at ease.
    I am not sure this will help, but I am sure it cannot hurt!
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi pineywood, it sounds like you might be suffering from "burnout". It's when you are overloaded and haven't been able to take care of yourself and your personal needs for some time. Don't worry about the nightmares, regard them as "toxins", a build-up of energy that you haven't had the time to analyze and deal with. It's an accumulation of worries, fears, anxieties, etc. They will all pass once things feel a little more settled and you can return to some of your personal routines and things that you really enjoy. I don't want to sound condescending, but I think you've done a magnificent job. :)
  6. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

@
    DancingLady
    MyDigitalpoint
    JonnyMacdonald
    amethyst

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. All such wise words of advise. It is not that I did not know why or where the nightmares stemmed from, nor the need and importance to release this build-up of emotions, but it is nice to come here and see this nice comments. So, I sincerely thank you all.
  7. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I believe that for what ever the reason, we all have had nightmares. I've had them and I realize that I can not allow fear to torment me. We all need our sleep so I suggest you get yours. Sometimes when people are doing good things happen to distract us. Its almost as if when everything is going good, we are afraid that somehting bad is gonna happen. So try not to worry because it only makes things worse.
  8. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I think it is completely normal and natural that you are having nightmares. Of course nobody knows how or why the brain works the way it does, but nightmares supposedly bring out your unconscious fears, likely about your child relapsing. It is great she is on the road to recovery, and I don't think you should worry about the nightmares. It sounds like you have been really busy helping her and deserve a vacation :):cool:
  9. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I think that in peoples mind they fear what could start happening again. Once a person is asleep these fears are still rolling around in our heads. When people have gone through these kinds of ordeals with family members it takes so much out of people. I mean families hurt tremendously by the actions of their loved ones.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

Nightmares can occur when you have been putting your own needs aside for the sake of your child's recovery. It is due to stress and all the inner worries you may continue to have about your child as well as your own needs.

It may feel difficult to do, but try to find some time for yourself as well. It is important to remain healthy so that you can be there for your child.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Having a lot nightmares in times of extreme stress is very normal, don't worry, lately I've been having the worst and most bizarre nightmares ever. It's the way your subconscious deals with all those feelings of fear and anxiety.. in a way that can't hurt you. So think about that next time you wake up from a nightmare, that is actually a defense mechanism working on your favor, so you don't lose your mind :)