An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No magic recipe.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizel, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

There's really no magic recipe for staying clean and sober, and anybody who's trying to find such, won't find such. Once you start drinking and you can't stop, then you're in 100% addicted. I always suggest to stay away from alcohol no matter what. I'm not saying tha you're never supposed to drink at parties or whatever, but don't abuse drinking because once you abuse drinking and just drink to must of alcohol then you will just without doubt get addicted, and then it's a long way out of this addiction and a lot of people fail during it.
    Be that strong and when you're having a bad time in your life don't try to run away from them, face whatever you have to because you will eventually need to face time sooner or later.
  2. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well it all comes down to a person's will power where avoiding alcohol is concerned. Some people can just stop drinking at will while others can't. Some people can consume alcohol regularly but never become addicted.
  3. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Hello Community,

Once you have stopped using whatever you are addicted to, its good to notice triggers that just push you towards the edge of recovery and back into addiction. There are plenty support groups out there and nice little places like this to talk to people in.

Recovery is all in what you make it, If you want it you have to work for it. Once you've got it, you have to keep fighting to keep it, trust me there id hardly a day that goes by that I do not have that evil devil on your shoulder saying " Just This Once "

When you notice yourself wanting to give up, or give in, Call someone because odds are someone you are close to knows you are in recovery. Support I cannot stress enough, was vital to my recovery. Another thing I do is go to youtube and watch some funny videos, distraction is another effective tool.

Until The Next Time
    Timmi
  4. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

As you said, there really is no magic recipe. Anyone that thinks so will find out the hard way. Just like everything in life, there's no shortcut. To succeed it requires dedication and hard work. You will have to want to change and work hard at staying off substances and addictions.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with your post, there's no such thing as magic recipe. But if you work hard and are really dead serious about staying clean and sober, then there's no way you cannot beat and overcome addiction. It all depends on the person if he/she is willing to let go of these destructive substances or not.
  6. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I also agree with your post, there is no magic trick! However I also agree with Rowe992, it is all dependent on an individuals will power and resistance when it comes to these substances especially alcohol! I think once you know where you stand with drink and you know what personality you have then stick to not even touching it because sometimes it will just take that one drink to tip you over the edge.
  7. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

It is best to stay with people who are clean and sober. Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are. That saying is really true and sometimes, we all have to do some house cleaning when it comes to the friends that we hangout with.
  8. PrideKidd

Lord, I wish there was a magical cure, I would have bought it along time ago. I still fight every day to remain clean and sober. Alot of it has to do with my support network keeping me up when I am down. If anyone does find the magical cure can they please let me know? :)
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The only magic cure that might work is hypnosis. I suppose you know how it works. A hypnotist will instruct your sub-conscious to hate alcohol. Once you snap out of this hypnotic state, you might find that you have an intense dislike for alcohol. There's no guarantee though that this will keep you off drugs indefinitely.

That's why it's better to dispel thoughts of magic cures and set your mind on the task — fighting every day to keep cravings at bay.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Oh, that's overall a good idea. If you're really struggling with your situation you could also try hypnosis.
    But yeah, we must remember that our life is in our hands and only we can change it .
    Rainman likes this.
  11. PrideKidd

I already tried a hypnotist, it never seemed to take, maybe it did not work because I am not so sure I can be hypnotized that easily. In my opinion if it works for you then by all means go for it, but as for me I think it is another person trying to get at what little money I actually have.

Through therapy and medication I have found it can be quite an effective way to battle mental health illnesses. I've said it before and I'll say it again sunlight, and letting yourself drift into nature type settings is a good way to remain positive. :)
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I completely agree with your post. Recovery from addictions really start from within. The will power has to be self-generated, because no one can give you the strength to stop. Rehabilitation is really just a self-made facility. Only you can change what you have done.
  13. PrideKidd

That is the truth friend. You cannot change because someone tells you to or forces of upon you. It took awhile..OK long time to realize just that.

Since then when I get the urges to use, I force myself to remember how I felt after a week of binging and staying awake. It is definitely enough for me lose the craving for sure!
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I would have to agree with most of the posts in here that change has to start within the person. If their resolve is not that strong, then for sure it will just be futile for them to try if they're not willing to bring a positive improvement to their lives. It would be best to avoid all situations like parties where alcohol would be freely served in order to not fuel the fire.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Many people seem to think that once a substance is banned it will magically go away. Some people think that if they reach a certain point they will stop craving their addictions, but it's almost never the case. Substances and people who use them have a very complicated relationship as it is different for every individual, so there is no blanket solution for everything. It's best if everyone can keep strong and keep their own addictions in check.
  16. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

My friend tried hypnosis for other of his problems (psychological, mostly) and it did not help him one bit. Performers of hypnosis also make tests with the public to check who will respond to it (vs others who will not be in the same mindframe) and it can change throughout the hsow. I'd be far from calling this a magic solution, it seems like it might work within the right context, and then I'd guess the rest is placebo effect.
  17. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Exactly, you can't change yourself because somebody puts pressure on you to do so.
    You need to find power in yourself and change for yourself not for somebody.
    Changing yourself is only to make your life better not to make somebody else happy.
  18. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

Never change yourself for someone else. You have to want to put your foot forward for you. You have to want the change. If you really don't want it you will not succeed. If you look in the mirror and love the person you are and then turn around and have someone telling you your not the person they want you to be, think about their reasons. If they are not legit, then maybe you should just turn back around and enjoy the person you see.
    PrideKidd likes this.