An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No More Self Pity

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Nov 18, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

In order to recover, you need to let go of self pity. Feeling sorry for yourself does not help you accomplish anything, in fact it prevents you from moving forward. Accept the hand the situation that you are in, and move past it. Tomorrow is a new day, and new you!
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, self pity will get you nowhere and it will just hamper your attempts at recovery. It would be best to always think positive and not dwell on the past.
  3. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have moments when I feel self pity all of the time. It is so bad that I can't leave my house. I find that exercising int he morning has given me some hope. I just get worried about my health.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I did let self pity take over for a while and I'm sure most of us have had points in time where that has been the case. I feel like recovery is a lot like a grieving process - grieving in a different way than you would for a person, but grief nonetheless. I think self pity might be one of the stages - but overcoming it is important to moving forward.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I admit that I did a lot of self-pitying, and self-loathing in the past. But yes, there is no reason for you to hurt yourself even more. Just let bygones be bygones, and try to move forward in life.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Self-pity is destructive and useless. Bad things happen in life. Our response to them is what determines whether we get stuck in the rut [and embrace the feeling of being miserable forever] or move on It's not easy [moving on], that can't be denied, but it's the only way to move forward and once you do you'll realize that you don't need to lean on drugs to cope.
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

If you want to make the first step towards anything even close to full recovery you will need to stop pitying yourself. It the first thing you will have to do. Your confidence is crucial if you want to come out as a winner from any addiction fight. I know we write here and it sounds so easy but it is not. It's the total opposite of that. It will be probably the hardest thing you confronted in your life and for that you need to stand up and say that you know you are going to win, say that you are strong enough, say that your path is your choice and just take the right one.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

That's what I have been doing lately. I'm trying my best to move forward and not look back at the things I had done in the past, and forget them, or at least bury them deep in my soul where I cannot reach them. It's the best option for me at the moment. I have realized that I needed to stop whining once and for all.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Definitely! People don't realize that every single one of us has an infinite amount of power within our body, we just have to remember that and use it. Don't feel sorry for yourself, self-criticism and negative thoughts will only make matters worse.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Feeling sorry for your self, or self pity is just a natural emotion I think and I'm sure we all go through phases of it every now and again.

While sometimes it's good to look at yourself, you need to do it in a way that will help you improve rather than dwell on the bad times you've been through.
  11. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I love this!
    In the past I have had a problem with feeling sorry for myself. I have been through alot of traumatic things in my life, and I had a tendency to dwell on them. Since realizing that I could not change my past and making an effort to move forward, I have been much happier. Dwelling in my past and feeling sorry for myself went hand in hand with my addictions.
  12. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

So true. To self pity is to dwell on things you can't change or things that aren't even true to begin with. It's to bring yourself into a depression that you might not get out of. It could cause relapse. It's much better and healthier to focus on the future and what goals you can set for yourself.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Stuck in the past. Many people have this problem. The self pity party. I don't know if its pity. Feeling sad is not necessarily self pity. Pity is feeling sorrow and compassion for suffering and misfortune. It is self inflicted to have a drug or alcohol problem. There is nothing worse than letting yourself down. Some people have trouble with their personal boundaries, not actually having any.
    Self inflicted suffering and misfortune. This or that happened because you chose to do drugs. I think probably the sadness is more like the loss of all the fun. Coming down from the whirlwind of what went on. Resentment towards what drove them there in the first place. A feeling of a let down and physical drop.
    There are physiological aspects to deal with that need to be addressed. The system takes a beating from drugs. Being happy and moving on is easier said than done when it is more than a conscious decision. Taking care of yourself and forgiving yourself. Eating and sleeping as well as possible. Some people should take their own advice to move on. Telling someone in this position to not feel sorry for themselves and get on with their life may not actually help them. Acknowledging whatever it is they think caused them to do this as the suffering. This will actually help them more. Whatever state they are in, encourage and inspire. Give them some sunshine and let them breath. Send them good vibes.