An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No mother figure.

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by No mother figure, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Hello I'm am 25 and my mother is a drug user. I have no mother in my life now. I fell lost not haven a mother in my life. Who do I talk to were I go from here?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@No mother figure... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. I'm sorry to hear about your mother and her addiction issue. Have you considered seeking out and going to a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meeting? Those groups are for loved ones of people struggling with addiction. Being amongst others who know exactly what you're going through and feeling can be incredibly comforting and helpful. Also, I would suggest that you think about seeing a therapist. When my son was struggling with heroin addiction, my therapist really helped me get my head straight and deal with all of the things I was feeling.

One thing you should remember is what Al-Anon teaches: You didn't cause your mother's addiction, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. She is the only one who can decide to get help for herself. You should concentrate on taking good care of yourself, practicing self-care and making sure that you are healthy, both physically and mentally. I know having an addicted loved one is incredibly difficult; but you have to worry about the person you can control...and that's you.

You might want to consider reading a couple of these books I wrote about a while back:

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

The Beyond Addiction and Clean books are especially great. I highly recommend them.

You can come here anytime you need to, my friend. You are not alone. We will offer as much help and support as we can. And we will listen if you need to vent.

I am sending you positive vibes full of hope. And I will keep your mother in my thoughts and prayers.
    No mother figure likes this.