An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No smoking in cars with minors

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by elbowstain, Aug 20, 2015.

1. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

Where I live, they are instating a new law where you are not allowed to smoke in a vehicle with someone under the age of 18 near. This was introduced to stop second hand smoke to young kids. I for one am really happy about this law, when I was a kid my parents both smoked in the car while we drove places and I hated it. My father has recently stopped smoking cigarettes, and has finally realized what I went through when they smoked in the car. He hates the smell of cigarette now.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

A very good rule indeed. There are a lot adults that don't care about their children's health, even my mom used to smoke in her car when I was like 10-12, what's really bad is that in a car the smoke persists, even after 20 minutes you can still feel it and if the windows are closed, then all the smoke will be inhaled over and over again by minors.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

The same law is coming in affect here on September 1st. I think it is a great law and that it should have been the case a long time ago. There is no excuse for anybody to be smoking around children. I hope that they are strict with this law and enforce it. The fines for doing it are very and so they should be. We need to protect our youth from harmful second hand smoke .
    Damien Lee likes this.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I think it is an excellent law! I agree 100%. It's not even just the second-hand smoke, although that is bad enough, it's also the behavior. It's best to set a good example and who would really want their child smoking?
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Exposure to second hand smoke increases the risk of kids getting ear infections and respiratory problems. Most adults don't know that and they wouldn't believe it too if their parents or other adults they knew smoked around them. Such legislation is great. Irresponsible adults and parents have no options but to do the right thing.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Very good law, but how many cops will actually enforce this rule when they see cars with adults that smoke and kids? Not so many, to be honest. Though it doesn't take many cases for people to cease doing that with their kids in the car. You'd be surprised to know that the buzz spreads out very quickly around!
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I assume you are in the UK where this law is being brought in. Of course, smoking was also banned in public a few years ago and it's made a big difference. This is one law I totally agree.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm in the UK and welcome this law. You just don't smoke around children do you? Especially not in the car, where they can't even get away from it.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That is a very good law and I hope the US will eventually adopt it. Kids shouldn't be subjected to that type of stimulus at such a early age. Parents should be responsible about that and not let their kids be affect by such treatment and subjection.
  10. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

This is a good law. My stepbrother's biological mother smoked all the time around him when he was young, and he developed an awful cough due to the second-hand smoke.
  11. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Same here and it is a great rule, just because you are blowing a bit out the window doesn't mean even a little will come back and destroy your young child's lungs and health, its just not worth it.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Smoking in cars should be prohibited, whomever is in that cars. It's just irritating for non-smokers and it could also disturb the driver if he doesn't smoke. This could cause more accidents, not to mention the second-hand smoke you get from it. You can just stop and smoke or you can have a cigarette when you reach your destination.
    MrsJones likes this.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

You know, it's sad that there needs to be a law like this. I'm a smoker, and I'll walk down the street to have a smoke when visiting my mother so that the kids don't even need to see it. Smoking in the car with kids is borderline child abuse. People should have the decency to already do this anyways.
  14. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I love this!! I wish they would do this everywhere. I mean if they can legalize gay marriages they can look out for the health of our children. I think its just awful that anyone would be smoking around children anyway. I mean this triggers problems with breathing.
  15. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I love this law! Both my parents smoked around me nonstop as I was growing up, with awful results. I always had clogged ears which hurt so much I'd often be unable to sleep. I also developed pretty severe asthma which continues to plague me to this day. It's perfectly fine if people want to smoke, but they shouldn't inflict the consequences of their choices on young children who have no choice in the matter.
  16. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Not only that. Curious children who see their parents smoke will want to try it out one day when no one is watching. Bit by bit this develops till they become active cigarette smokers. Who is to blame? only the parents, no one else.
  17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm really happy about your dad, is never too late to be aware of our mistakes!
    I wish that this law were approved on my country, there are a lot of smoking people with young kids here, and that's definitely something really harmful for them, physically and psychologically. But I'm glad that this is happening, I wish that it can become bigger.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Great to know about that and it should be implemented everywhere. Second hand smoke is deadly and poor kids to suffer that because of irresponsible people around them.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

This law is a great idea. Smoking around children is bad enough, but smoking in cars… no bueno. I do wonder how well it’ll be enforced, but I’m all for it and I hope it’s implemented here at some point as well.
  20. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great law, and it should be adopted everywhere. It breaks my heart when I see a parent driving around with little kids in the car, smoking like they don't have a care in the world. And in the winter time, I see this going on with the windows up! Unbelievable.
    Damien Lee likes this.