An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No smoking in cars with minors

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by elbowstain, Aug 20, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Good thing! A law like this needs to be present in every country in the world, it's mandatory really. Exposing your kids to smoke in an enclosed space will only cause harm. If you can't even wait until you get out of the car to smoke then I have some really bad news for you.
  2. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I think it's a step in the right direction. We don't really know how much secondhand smoke is to blame for medical problems. But common sense pretty much dictates that a kid (or anyone, really) inhaling a lot of smoke in closed space is a bad idea.
  3. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I think this is an excellent rule and should be enforced. I may be okay with giving myself cancer, but I don't become a pest or try to force it on anyone. In fact, I routinely step away from minors and small children when I smoke, and avoid smoking around people who are obviously uncomfortable with it. Sadly, some smokers don't have the same manners.

I've seen many instances of people (even parents!) smoking around younger kids. This is not safe for their bodies and not acceptable. As I said, I'm okay with harming myself but I try to leave the rest of the public out of it. If only others would be so kind.
  4. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I've never smoked in the car with kids present anyway. I've always felt I smoke, they don't. Its just not healthy for children. I'm so happy they are enforcing a law where no one is allowed to do it. I hope the punishment if caught smoking with minors in the car is harsh.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I live in the UK and the law is coming in that you can be prosecuted if you are smoking in a car with a person that's under 18 in it also. That's all very well and good, but what I don't understand is that here in the UK you are allowed to legally smoke at 16, and you can legally drive when your 17.

So would you be prosecuted if you was smoking on your own in your own car? Just a thought, not sure how that would work...
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm glad that there is a law over there that protects minors from inhaling 2nd hand smoke, since we all know that they can be more dangerous than 1st hand smoke, right? Over here, I doubt there will be such a law that's gonna be implemented, since our goverrnment is more concerned with other things.
  7. pwarbi

I agree with the law, although I don't think it should take a law for people not to smoke and to realise the dangers they are inflicting on their children.

I'm not sure how well the law can be enforced as I think the police already have a lack of resources to fight crime so I'm not sure they're going to have time to stop this as well.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I really wish they would introduce a similar law in my country. I just see too many folks smoking when kids around, especially in private spaces such as the interior of a motor vehicle. Children are especially vulnerable to second hand smoke and it's a positive sign that governments are taking notice. Hopefully, more governments around the world will see the light and follow suit.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't see how you could be. I know that police are allowed to confiscate your cigarettes if you're under 16 but seeing as though you have to be 17 to drive, smoking in your car alone seems to be perfectly legal. I bet there'll be a law about that soon though!

It does seem odd that you can smoke at 16 but can't sit in a car with someone else smoking until you're 18.
  10. pwarbi

But in the eyes of the smoking in a car law, anybody under the age of 18 is classed as a minor. So like I said if your 17, smoking in your own car, you'd be classed as a minor therefore not allowed to smoke in it.

I think the law needs a bit of a rethink...
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This has been law in most first world countries for a long time now.
    But isn't that common sense?
    The fact that we have to have laws for this is a pretty sad affair.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Smoking in the car with children is a bad idea. Smoke is not a health thing to inhale for anyone. Kids don't have a say so in the matter so passing a law like this will benefit those that don't yet have a choice.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

I totally agree with that. Smoking with people around you, kid or adult, it's like imposing your habit on everyone. I didn't realize it when I was younger, but now, every time I have a smoke, I usually look for a place where's there's no people, or at least non-smokers.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This is a great law. I think that no one should be smoking in a house or any building just because there are minors and others who do not smoke. I need to breath my oxygen levels are important to me. I think if you make the choice to smoke others around you should not have to smoke.
  15. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I don't know about where you live, but I think in the majority of countries you're not legally allowed to smoke until you're 18 or 19 anyway, at which point you're an adult in the eyes of the law. So this wouldn't really matter.
  16. pwarbi

In the UK it's 16 when your allowed to smoke, so over here it obviously does matter, especially as under the new law, your classed as a minor until 18.

Something needs to change, but nobody seems to be that bothered about addressing the situation at the moment.
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It is probably the best implementation that the government should impose not only inside the cars but as well to other smoking places. Parents should realize the effects on their children's health when they are inhaling the second hand smokes from their cigarette. This should be implemented at once with action and not by words alone.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never heard of this law but it makes since. I remember when I was a teenager people used to think I was smoking cigarettes after I got out of the car with my dad. The smell does get into your clothes. It's probably better not to smoke around your kids in a closed in space anyway. I'm sure nobody want's there kids school accusing there kids of smoking.
  19. kurvanna

kurvanna Member

My father always stressed his hatred for cigarette smoking. His parents smoked regularly when he was growing up, and he expressed his distaste to them only to have them disregard his opinions and continue their habit in spite of him. In my opinion, that is child abuse; and smoking in the car with minors riding with you, especially your children, is neither acceptable behavior, nor beneficial in any way to their developing mental and emotional states.
  20. pwarbi

I can understand the law, and I agree with it. People should know better than to smoke around a child and really the government shouldn't even have to put a law in place to begin with if people used their common sense.

As for treating it as child abuse, I think that's going to far to claim that, but I do get how you come to that opinion.