An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

No Sympathy for drug addicts?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by showthelifesint, Jun 17, 2015.

1. matteomatt

matteomatt Member

Sympathy?

Many people do feel sympathy for a drug addict, but who really deserves the sympathy is their loved ones who must watch that person die.

I never would want sympathy for myself, but I can tell you that I did not fall victim to drug addiction entirely out of stupidity. It was something much harder to explain, but maybe its similar. I am fortunate to have been able to get off heroin though.

I will say that for many users, they started on prescription medications which have proven to be highly addictive. Due to the physically addictive nature of these opioids, it is more than a mental battle. It can be beaten with medical detox and lots of other treatment, but some people started on pills and ended on smack.

That wasnt my case though, I was just very oblivious and overconfident when it came to risks and I already had an affinity for putting other substances in my body.
    Brittany likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@matteomatt... I'm glad you were able to kick your heroin habit. And you're right: The loved ones of addicts suffer immensely, for sure.

Keep doing the next right thing, my friend.
  3. Guy123

Guy123 Member

I can feel an awful lot of sympathy for those who are naive to there predicament until it is too late, much like blastguargear's comment - the young/young adults. I have quite an optimistic view of people, I do not believe anyone would choose the route consciously if someone were to show them the results/a snapshot of their future selves. Its also a dangerous way of approaching it. To write off each addict as the same as the last. I follow Tarvetens train of thought - to be treated as a disease. In summary...perhaps empathy rather than sympathy?
    Brittany likes this.
  4. deanokat

This is sooooo important, @Guy123. Thanks for your post. :)
    Brittany likes this.
  5. Brittany

Brittany Member

Hello, I don't usually post on forums but I just got sober 6 weeks ago and I was looking for a forum that's active and not centered around people still in addiction and this is the first one that came up :) The first 2 posts I saw were discouraging to say the least and to those 2 people I don't want your sympathy and I think you have the wrong idea about drug addicts because I got hooked on pain pills from getting hurt and a doctor prescribed them to me...you mentioned that you didn't like pain pills in your post because they make you feel i can't remember your word but you admitted they make you feel funny so you have taken at least one pain pill in your life BUT for SOME of your peers that's all it takes is ONE! See you didn't like the way it felt but to others like myself react differently and like the feeling and finish off the prescription and before it runs out I didn't realize it but I was already addicted AND what if you liked the feeling? See how easily someone can become addicted now? I was your girl next looking at me you would of never known I had a nasty addiction so you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover because I guarantee you would of talked to me and not even known. You talk about people who have suffered from addiction like were these aliens or something we are you! Everyday people from all classes become addicted my mother is a school teacher my father is a psychiatrist so just remember that a drug addict is no different and doesn't deserve to be treated in an ignorant way clean or not!! I am 22 and I was addicted to pain pills for 3 yrs but I started smoking pot because my dad the psychiatrist smoked pot and I was a teenager curious hmm he smokes it so it can't be bad...pot is viewed as harmless and it might be to adults who don't struggle with addiction but it is a gateway drug for curious teenagers and has been proven to stunt a teens brain growth also there's studies showing that it can cause bi polar in teenagers. I am just starting to feel like myself again before I used and I regret every pill I took and joint I smoked. I didn't wake up and say hey I want to be an addict, but thats exactly what happened. Does that make doctor's dealers I wonder? Anyone got any input on the drs that prescribe such highly addictive meds for a broken arm or stiches? Because they gave me almost 2 months of pain meds for a broken arm and I was hooked but it's not just me they get people hooked everyday. I think some attention needs to be brought to the drs who prescribe highly addictive meds like candy and not just to the patients their prescribing them too! Thanks guys for all your input. I read most of the posts and I just wanted to say I hope you're all well and sober,take care guys :)
    Umm and deanokat like this.
  6. Brittany

Brittany Member

So true, these doctor's are as dangerous as drug dealers anymore I know it sounds crazy to some of you but that's my opinion:( Stay sober my friend! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  7. AddictsAunt

AddictsAunt Member

Addiction is a disease.

Try and feel some empathy.

A bad marriage or job or car accident and you too may be staring down the barrel of Its Your Own Fault one day.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Woosh

Woosh Member

People get addicted to painkillers that are prescribed by their doctor all the time. In due time those same people will be doing heroin to avoid being dope sick. Yep even that lady your thinking would never shoot heroin, she would too. Addicts aren't necessarily bad people. They do dangerous and self destructive, hurtful things in active addiction. It's a incurable disease so there are addicts either in recovery (AA/NA etc.) or in active addiction and we all know what those look like. It's totally up to everyone individually to decide if they want to alienate an entire segment of society before ever meeting them, but I know I'm not going to.
    Umm and deanokat like this.
  9. deanokat

Bravo, @Woosh! Bravo!
  10. Woosh

Woosh Member

Hey girl just hang in and don't worry about what two people you will never meet (plus they are uneducated, boring and rediculous anyway) think about anything. You can't control what others think so no worries.
  11. Umm

Umm Member

Showthelifesint,
    If i write lead by the first emotion i feel as i read your post, it would not be so nice and i would be as judgemental of you and your post as the ignorance that some people have on addicts. But with all do respect, i cant stay quiet. Ill respond as nicely as possible :oops:. I joined this site because of the support i see for addicts and their loved ones. But ignorance is out there. And ignorance is a bully. A bully that cripples our loved ones that struggle and battle not only with their addictions but also their shame, their diminished self worth, and sometimes their will to live that comes with their dependence on drugs or alcohol. Day by day, min by min, second by second. All i have to say is that each person has their own story. Where theyre going, where they came from, and how they got where they are. My dad always said, you dont have to like a person, you dont have to understand them or be that persons friend. Just be respectful. Be without judgement. And dont go along with others who do. I was in kinder :rolleyes:. But it stuck with me. And ive always done just as he said. My loved one is an addict. And i can tell you hes no less than you nor me. Hes not stupid. Hes a great man, that is cought in an evil battle that i dont wish on anyone. Not you, not any of your loved ones, not me, not anyone. Because thats who addiction snatches lives from. People like you, people like me, our loved ones, everyone. I do invite you to read some stories. Meet some people. Look in youre community in where you can help. So that you can educate yourself on the questions you have, of others lives, and learn that things are not always as they seem. And i promise you, youll learn a thing or two from these "stupid" people that are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, husbands, wives. God bless you and yours. Xoxo...Umm
    deanokat likes this.
  12. deanokat

This is so true. Worrying about whether or not someone has an opinion about you won't stop them from having one. Just live your life and stop worrying about what people thing. I learned a long time ago that worrying doesn't actually do anything. Except make you miserable.
  13. Woosh

Woosh Member

AA members are anonymous but the organization it self is not a big secret. I went to a highly regarded rehab center 2 years ago and the entire hospital was staffed with professionally trained medical doctors, councilors etc. (most were addicts in recovery) and at that facility they taught and definitely showed that the program and steps used by AA or NA are the way they got clean and their program is the way they stay clean to this day. They stressed an over all healthy lifestyle but in their experience AA/NA was the only medically acceptable treatment for addiction. It is not primarily a christian organization and I can say that many of those saved from addiction by AA/NA had negative feelings towards Christian or religious institutions before stepping foot through the doors of AA. So I would encourage any addict regardless of religious belief or bias to attend an AA or NA meeting any time they want. If anyone knows (or is) an addict that is asking for help I would take them to rehab IMMEDIATELY but if rehab isn't an option then take them to the very first AA or NA meeting available. It doesn't matter what their drug of choice is AA works the same for anyone with addiction and most folks in there have tried any or every type of drug under the sun. It can't hurt the addict and the people in there aren't going to waste their time on an addict that isn't ready to quit. If one thing shared during that meeting sticks with the addict and ends up saving their life it will well be worth it.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. Horace Nevil

Horace Nevil Member

People who overuse anything are weak and have traded logic for comfort.
  15. Cruzer1971

Cruzer1971 Member

You know folks on here say that they don't care about what a druggie has to say and that they aren't empathetic to them because of how they are. My mom once told me, do not judge as you also have children and you would not want them doing the same thing. That really scared me for sure.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. deanokat

17. Peachtree

Peachtree Member

I was thinking the same thing. A person can have sympathy without condoning the addiction.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. Havasu99

Havasu99 Member

We are not judging you for not using and instead you got pregnant at a very young age instead of using drugs or alcohol.. So you chose sex as your way to deal with your abuse instead of drugs good for you! Both are very expensive. But no one should be judging the other one what addiction they chose
    deanokat likes this.
  19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

This is mainly addressed to Totalarmordest. Reading your post sincerely made me almost cry. I never like it when people say they have no one but themselves. You unfortunately learned at an early age the world is just not fair.

You have every right to feel as you do. I think perhaps more important than your heading is just wanting to vent and feel sorry for yourself. Do not take that in a bad way, I think that is part of being human. I know I sure feel sorry for myself sometimes.
    My husband and I never go to the same movies because all of his are very thought provoking and usually some one is treated poorly and I always feel so much for them. I think I identify with the underdog. Hell I walked out of Planet of the Apes, because of the cruelty shown to the apes by humans. I actually think animals treat each other better than we human beings. .........but I am stuck as the Human Being and so are you.
    You my dear will feel sorry for yourself a lot and have every right, what you also have is the ability to do is lift yourself up and , not allow your child to be treated as you were.

You are a very strong young lady and your child will grow up with seeing that strength in you . You will know Love and Admiration . I am a very spiritual person and believe our life is written for us . Everything that happens to us is for a reason. Perhaps one day in the future your life will be totally different , and the only way you were able to get there was to get through the mind field your early life became for you. Adversity is only given to those strong enough to learn from it. I think I feel safe in saying one day you will see why you had to be strong and get thru the worst. Everything is for a reason, and you may think back and say "ya know if this didn't happen to me I would not be where I am today. Maybe a very good place and your child will have had a strong
    women to identify with strength to overcome whatever life has in store for them. There alone you have made a big difference being who you are.
    Ok so let me get off the high horse and tell you that I hear what you are saying, but please do not make addicts out to be the bad in this world, you will find there is so much more evil out there and the Addict is the way they are for a reason.
    Let me tell you this , addicts don't come in one color, they are not just the ones you talk about,, but they come from high places and still do not feel good about themselves, and turn to the temptation of getting free from their burdens....ya know, checking out.
    I am one of those people, considering my father died when I was 6 and it became just me and mom, and I would have never made it to today if it weren't for the strength she taught me.
    Today I have everything I ever wanted, and I am a recovering alcoholic, and quit a 3 pk a day cigarette habit, it has been 30 years since my last cig and drink.
    I am talking to you as an addict again, because a doctor put me on Klonipin, with out warning me of the hell I would have to go thru , once more at 66, to get strait. Every day I face a different withdrawal symptom, and I am one of the lucky ones who just had 2 years of 1 a night.

I am only trying to say we all have the same chance of becoming an addict. I am sure if you met me you would NEVER think I was an addict because I was a lazy and worthless person.

I hope #1 that you read this in 2017, and all addicts are not losers they just have lost their way.
    One day I hope what I've told you will happen does, and you will look back on all of the trials you were put through and realize the REASONS!!!!!!!
    Sincerely,
    May Trix
    deanokat likes this.
  20. deanokat

Thanks for your insight, @Maytrix. Much appreciated.