An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non-alcoholic beer

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Joethefirst, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I never really understood the reason for the need for non-alcoholic beer. For me one of the reasons you would drink a beer is for the alcohol. Most non-alcoholic beers have a funny taste and don't resemble anything remotely similar to a beer. Have you had a non-alcoholic beer that was able to substitute the need for a beer?
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

To be honest I have never liked the taste of beer, so I have never tasted non-alcoholic beer, but I have seen my mom drinking a couple light beers from time to time. To be honest I have never understood why some people (specially my mom) say beer is delicious and they love it.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have tried it and is cheaper to buy in a supermarket and has the same taste in some of the non alcohol beers and can be good for someone, who wants beer but not wanting to get drunk, which can happen from the real beer. The non beers tend to be cheaper and you can buy them in a single can instead of a pack, which is good an can be mistaken for beer by some people even I thought it was beer when I first saw it. I reckon that non beer may have a milder taste as it does have some of the ingredients used to make beer, and it may be a safer option for someone who wants a drink but not something which can make them addicted.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Isn't beer always synonymous with alcohol? The closest thing to non-alcoholic beer that I could think of is cider and/or juices from fermented fruits. They have the same consistency with beer except that there isn't any measured or commercially sanctioned alcohol content. Regardless, drinking cider and beer-like beverages is a much better bargain than falling prey to the ill effects of alcohol.
  5. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I think I'd rather just have a soda or something that non-alcoholic beer. I feel like non-alcoholic beer won't be satisfying since the taste can never match real beer and then it could make a craving worse. If there is a non-alcoholic beer that DOES taste like beer out there I'd definitely be interested in trying it!
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have seen some of those fruity kind of non alcoholic beer on commercials before. I doubt that those should really be called beer or just soda drinks. I never tasted any of those.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have never tried non alcohol beer but I do see there are a variety of brands at the grocery store. I do see people buying it. I guess there are people out there who actually like the taste of beer without getting drunk. I don't know too many people who do though. They also have the non alcohol coolers and wines available. I have never tried any of them. I would much rather just have a glass of ice water over any other drink.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Same as you, I also don't like the taste of beer. I have never really liked it. It tastes odd to me.

Anyway, I also don't see the point of drinking non-alcohol beer, because in the first place, beer is an alcohol, so why would someone label it as non-alcoholic, right? And besides, if you just really want to stay sober, then it's much better if you just never drink at all and avoid situations that include booze.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't see the point in it either. People who really like to drink do so because they want to get drunk, not because they love the taste of beer, whiskey or rum. At least that's how I think. A beer without alcohol, is like a cigarette without the smoke. But, hey, if it works for you...
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think some people actually like the taste of beer so I guess if they want a refreshing drink that they enjoy the taste of, but don't want to get affected by the alsohil then I can see the reasoning behind it.

I have to say though that I wasn't one of them people, and the only reason I drank was for the effect and nothing else.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

The reason why non-alcoholic beer was invented was to stop the drivers used to drinking beer from drinking and driving. This way, the taste is pretty much the same, but they don't get drunk.

Of course, the low cost non alcoholic beers taste like cat piss, but if you take Stella Artois, for example, the situation is 180 degrees different.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Some people have a serious addiction to beer and love the flavor. This is mainly what it was created for. I don't personally get it, but I've seen it. Its like pseudo thing, the bubble gum cigarettes. Maybe they should make non-alcoholic liquor. Lol.
    I mean it's just as easy to drink a ton of water, which makes you feel great and so happy. Try a gallon or so. Seems like a lot but the body needs it. Put it in a huge wine glass or a rocks glass to get the feel for drinking the same old way. How about a glass bottle like a beer bottle. Do what ever you have to do. Its kind of the same thing as the O'douls or non-alcoholic beverage. There's no hang-over with water. Add some fruit or squeeze a lemon in it. Humor yourself, it works.
  13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I've heard about non-alcoholic beer, but I've never tasted it. It doesn't sound very appealing, but then again I'm not a huge beer fan anyways. I don't see the point in drinking non-alcoholic beer unless you enjoy the flavor.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yes, it tastes so damn bitter, no matter what kind of beer I try... they all taste awful! I guess non-alcoholic beer can be a nice thing for people trying to stay sober though. When I was trying to stay sober as well I gave virgin cocktails a try! To my surprise they did help, the only downside is that they do contain loads of sugar.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's the first time I've heard of a non-alcoholic beer. Where was I all this time? ;)

I probably won't try it as I'm not really after the taste when drinking booze. And I don't see the need for a substitute. Either I'd drink the real thing or none at all.
  16. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It's not particulary bad, although there are a lot of heavy drinkers claiming that it tastes like s**t. It's good if you're trying to stop using alcoholic drinks or just enjoy beer (in moderate dosages), but have to drive somewhere and don't want to risk getting a DUI or to be involved in an accident.
  17. AGuyGoon

AGuyGoon Member

I guess if you are at a party or a gathering and everyone else is drinking beer, and you don't drink. It might be nice to sip on a non-alcoholic beer just because everyone else is drinking beer. Unless someone really likes the taste of beer, but doesn't drink, then they might like non-alcoholic beer.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, personally, having a non-alcoholic beer would just be too close to the concept of having a normal beer. It's the behavior more so than the contents of the bottle. I would rather just have a soda or juice (or honestly, water - that's my beverage of choice these days!) than have a non alcoholic beer.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It doesn't substitute the need of drinking beer at all. It might just be me, but I never really liked the taste of non-alcoholic beer. It's too dull and even if they try to add things like grapefruit or lemon taste it doesn't help it. They really need to figure this stuff out! :p
  20. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

If you like the taste of beer I suppose it could work, however if you're one of the many people who struggles with alcoholism I think that it could actually set you back rather than help you, like it is supposed to. I would personally prefer to stay away from anything that tastes even remotely like alcohol, because I feel as though it might trigger a response in me that would actually set me back quite a long way, unfortunately.