An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by blur92, Jan 11, 2015.

1. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

No experience as such. But I would love to know more about your's. Hope you recover well.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That is actually a good idea. I have never liked the taste of beer, but hey if it works for you then that is what matters. I would be nervous about going to a bar if I was a heavy drinker though, because the temptation would still be there. I have never been much of a bar goer accept for when I was younger.
  3. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Haha, hellonamesdan, I am sure many would show a placebo effect. They may not show symptoms of intoxication to the same effect but probably enough to think their tolerance had just increased.

Kcareconnections, that was a concern of mine. I have asked him on more than one occasion whether he is tempted. His answer is usually no. The only time he has been is when he gets very irritated at work. The non alcoholic beer does not tempt him at all.
  4. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think this is a great option if it works for you. What works for some, may not work for others. The goal is to give up the addiction. Any non-alcoholic drink could help. It is the mindset that has to change.
    blur92 likes this.
  5. blur92

This is very true, oraclemay. A person has to want to quit in order to make any effort. If he or she does not want to or is in denial then they are not going to. My boyfriend and I have wanted to stop drinking before. Non alcoholic beer steers the temptation away from us.
  6. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

I heard some people say that the taste of beer even if noon-alcoholic could trigger some old demons in alcoholics. Honestly, I doubt that's totally true, but I'm still curious about it, since you're probably still associating the taste with some memories from before you were sober. I don't really have an experience with this (don't even like beer) but I wondered what you think about this.
  7. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I haven't tried any non-alcoholic beers, but I love drinking non-alcoholic margaritas and wines because they're a sweeter option. They're also quite delicious, even without making you tipsy or drunk.

If ever you have friends who are alcoholics, let them start drinking non-alcoholic drinks in disguise, then eventually they might be able to stop drinking them in general.

It's worth a try! :)
  8. blur92

DTracy3, I think that's a credible statement. It depends on the person and their experiences too, perhaps. My boyfriend has been drinking them for a little over a month now with no issues. Mentally, he has already made associations with the non-alcoholic beer that do not trigger such memories. Again, though, I am sure it depends on the individual and their experience.

Angelicagapit, that is a clever idea. I agree it's worth a try :) they may at least experience a placebo effect momentarily.
  9. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I have a family member who is a musician and has been sober for 6 years. He has to work in bars because those are mainly the places that hire local bands. He usually just orders food and a ginger ale when everyone else is drinking alcohol. I think maybe the food gives him something to look forward to instead of drinking, so he just doesn't eat before he goes, and then has good food! I don't think he drinks non alcoholic beer because I honestly don't think he ever liked the taste of it even though he drank so much beer in the past, but I know a lot of people that drink non alcoholic wine in fancy glasses because it feels like the real thing to them.
    blur92 likes this.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think it's a bit premature to celebrate your success. In my opinion, it would be better if you avoided the pub altogether to avoid temptations.There are other places where you can shoot pool without being in close proximity to alcohol.
  11. blur92

Well, I am proud of my boyfriend for having given up alcohol for this long. It has been several months since he has decreased his drinking significantly. The past month it has been 100%. The pub he goes to is close by and affordable. Those are minor reasons to continue playing pool, though. The point is to keep in contact with some of his friends. Eliminating the majority of his social life altogether is depressing. We already tried. Still, like I already mentioned we have talked about any temptation. For the most part, it has not been a problem. The only time it has been is in states of extreme irritability. It has nothing to do with the environment. Plus, it would be difficult to expect someone to drop their job (he works at a bar). If he was having problems being sober I would worry more, however, this has been a huge success. For someone who got exceedingly intoxicated multiple days of the week and buzzed for the rest he has done a great job.
  12. Rosyrain

It might be better for him and his friends to make alternative plans instead of meeting up at the pub. Perhaps a BBQ at your house or some sort of poker night. It just seems that his friends would want to give him the respect of not going to the pub where the temptation would be. Good friends look after one another.
    blur92 likes this.
  13. blur92

This is very true. I wish they would. However, they still drink and prefer to go to the bars. The majority of them don't pressure him to drink which is good. Rather, they compliment him on it so it encourages him to keep up the sobriety.
  14. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

What's interesting about this is that people have a tendency to always think that quitting alcohol is good and will create these obstacles just to make sure it stays that way. A decision is a decision sure, but because he doesn't drink means that he can't go to a bar to hang out with friends? So others would have to create two things from this: 1. those aren't good friends and 2, don't tempt it. The only way that these two things can actually become real is for a religion to step in and guide them on those principles. Now I wonder how much of the decision to quit is his as opposed to someone else?!
  15. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

Everything is a test at this point. I could see friends bringing beer to the BBQ but that depends on the situation. The party might have to be a don't bring alcohol party, otherwise it would be a test to the person who isn't drinking anymore. I guess when I think about this, I can't imagine being a real friend to anyone, unless it was made clear to me what was going on. I'd hate to show up at a party with beer.
    blur92 likes this.
  16. Rosyrain

Blur92- Well at least they are supporting and encouraging him. Some men seem to instigate each other when they congregate in groups. Women can do this too, but not nearly or as much as men do.
    blur92 likes this.
  17. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I drink non alcoholic beer from time to time and I do not notice the difference most of the times. Maybe it's just me that cannot distinguish between normal beer and non alcoholic beer.
    blur92 likes this.
  18. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Personally I wouldn't drink non alcoholic beer. If I want to stay sober and clean I just remove myself completely and totally from anything that would get me thinking about drinking again. In your case my suggestion would've have been to stop going to the sports bar for a little while but it seems that the non alcoholic beer is working wonders. So well done and keep whatever works going!
    blur92 likes this.
  19. blur92

Tournique, what kind of non alcoholic beer have you had? So far I have only found Coors and O'doul's. It'd be nice to find other brands. I could pick up a case to surprise my boyfriend.

Thank you elles-belles. We did try quitting the bars for a little bit. He ended up getting more depressed because he was cooped up at home. Personally, I don't mind not going at all. I'm an introvert. I never actually went to the bars until I started dating him. He, on the other hand, is extroverted and has had a social life at the bars for a few years now.
  20. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Yea, you would totally notice. I remember one time I was at a friend's house and she gave us all non-alcoholic beer to see if we would act drunk or not. I wouldn't say that it was gross, but it was definitely a different taste. One of the first things that I said was "it's ok I guess, but I don't feel anything at all, no even a buzz." Once I said that she started laughing and admitted that the beer was actually non-alcoholic.
    blur92 likes this.